PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Find

MGySgt
03-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Another Gun Show in Richmond this past weekend. Wife and I wen,t seen some things that pulled at my wallet but nothing I had to have. I only had about 4 rows left, the wife was tired so she went to the snack area to sit down.

Wouldn't you know it the next row I spotted a Savage 340 30/30 with a scope mount and a Savage fixed 4 power - Private sale - $250.

I just couldn't pass it up. It has some issues with the scope mount rings - suppose to have 8 screws only has 4. I thought I had some at home - Nope none of mine fit and I believe 1 or 2 holes are stripped.

I shot it anyway - Then I notice the scope is turned 90 degrees - up and down is left and right and left ande right is up and down.

Took 1/2 box of Remmington 150's and a box of Winchester 150's. Put a target up at 60 yards got the scope somewat zeroed.

Trigger heavy but it shot the Remington's ok maybe 3/4 inch, but the Winchesters was another story - last group had 2 touching and I dropped one low (me not the gun).

I tried to swap the fixed for for a Nikon 2-7 - no go the turrent is too big to fit between the rings. Put the 4 power back on it with the scope orientaited right and shot it again tonight. Had trouble getting it zeroed - my bore sighter is going in the trash - I was 2 feet left and a foot low. Of course these were off paper. Had to walk up to 10 yards and start from there.

I have about 30 rounds of the Winchester loads to shoot befor I start the cast in it (just getting some brass to shoot).

We now have 4 30/30's this 340, a Savage 325, H&R, and a Savage 24V (12ga over 30/30).

I have 3 grand kids to outfit with starter rifles - I thing these will do nicely. :)

kenyerian
03-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Good luck. my hat's off to you for introducing your grandsons to the finer things in life.

smoked turkey
03-28-2012, 12:02 AM
Mighty fine collection of 30-30's you have there. I also have 340 and I like it a lot and it shoots cast real well. I wish I had purchased one of the 24V's in 30-30/12 ga when I had it in my hands but for some reason I didn't (probably money or the lack of it).

MGySgt
03-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Good luck. my hat's off to you for introducing your grandsons to the finer things in life.

Grand kids - 2 girls and a boy. Just found out my daughter is expecting too (Oct). Guess I have to start looking for another one! :)

kenyerian
03-28-2012, 05:52 PM
oops, !! You are doubly blessed!!.

Curly James
03-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Congratulations Gunny, we are expecting our first grandchild
in the fall. Waiting to hear which it will be so I will know what color the gunstock should be.

Screwbolts
03-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Is it the Weaver mount?

If so I have ground / filed metal from the area between the rings to give clearance, there is a lot of metal there, getting rid of some will not hurt strength.

Ken

MGySgt
03-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Is it the Weaver mount?

If so I have ground / filed metal from the area between the rings to give clearance, there is a lot of metal there, getting rid of some will not hurt strength.

Ken

Ken,

The one on the rifle is on the same line as Weaver style. However a little searching of the web there are other type out there that will not restrick the eye pice size = not much clearance between the bolt and the scope.

I will probably just buy 2 new mounts. (one for the 325 and the 340).

Drew

pietro
03-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Many folks, myself included, rotate scopes counter-clockwise (viewed from the rear) placing the former elevation turret/adj to the left to act as the new windage turret/adj, and the former windage turret/adj at the top to act as the new elevation turret/adj - in order to leave the loading/ejection port more open for access & ejection.

MGySgt
03-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Pietro - Don't know if that was the reason or not - I do know that it is a PITA to load from the top into the chamber. I don't think you can top of the removable mag either (it is just a 3 rounder)

Ordered a new mount (B Square) from MidWay today will be here Wed, but I won't be. I will be back in Northern VA this week.

starmac
03-31-2012, 11:38 PM
I'm curious, how does that m24v shoot.

runfiverun
04-01-2012, 04:16 AM
after fiddling with my 340 mag i just leave it in and load from the top.
but i don't have a scope on mine.
sure would like to find a peep sight for it though.

MGySgt
04-01-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm curious, how does that m24v shoot.

I haven't shot it in years (my son has it) - but IIRC - it will shoot about 1.5 at 100 with factory 150 stuff (MOD). I am going to work a cast for all the 30/30's using the NOE RD clone and the lyman 311 41 HP.

Had to put an iron sighter mount on it. The shot gun (12ga) shoot's OO buck to point of aim using the opening left by the mounts and puting the front sight even with the mount. Have to see it to really tell what I am talking about. The scope shoots the 30/30 and slugs or OO to different points of impact like about 6 inches at 50 yards.

MGySgt
04-01-2012, 09:48 PM
sure would like to find a peep sight for it though.

When I googled the 340 looking for a different scope mount - I seen a few receiver sights for them. Didn't follow the links - but now that I think about it mabe the 325 will get a receiver sight vice a scope.