PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing BP?

DeadWoodDan
03-27-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm having a hard time finding black powder locally:-(

Where do you purchase yours from?

Other than buying over the internet i've exhausted my resources. One web site has a minimum of 25 lbs!!! i want to shot my Trapdoor badly and this is the last componnent needed.........

Thanks
DWD

Don McDowell
03-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Grafs, Powder Inc, and Buffalo Arms will ship in 5lb lots.

bob208
03-27-2012, 08:11 PM
i buy in 25lb. balk. then put it in cans when it gets here. look at it this way powder is only going to go up in price so why not buy in balk? for mr that way i only grt the price incress eey 18 months.

Lead pot
03-27-2012, 08:27 PM
i buy in 25lb. balk. then put it in cans when it gets here. look at it this way powder is only going to go up in price so why not buy in balk? for mr that way i only grt the price incress eey 18 months.

What powder do you get in bulk and where?

DeadWoodDan
03-27-2012, 08:39 PM
wish i would have gotten this far before i purchased other powder / primers at local fun store. i could have easily paid for Hazmat and s/h for what i spent in gas getting there and the mark up. oh well another lesson learned.

JerseyJD
03-27-2012, 08:49 PM
I just purchased 10 pounds of KIK from Powder Inc for $16.40 / pound delivered.

waksupi
03-27-2012, 09:17 PM
If you are actually in Deadwood, drive over to Crofton Nebraska, to the Upper Missouri Trading Co.

Kenny Wasserburger
03-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Waksupi,

Deadwood Sd to Crofton Neb is about 420 miles 6 plus hours one way? 840 miles round trip 12 plus hrs. Crofton is on the east side of Neb.

Thats quite a hike. todays fuel prices much cheaper to ship it.

Were you thinking Crawford Neb? thats not so far, I know I got tons of family there its but 90 miles from the Ranch.

KW
The Lunger

Don McDowell
03-27-2012, 10:04 PM

If you have a local explosive's dealer that will order in the bulk bags, that's sure the way to do it. But they cannot ship the bulk bags via common carrier , that has to be in 1lb cans only.
Otherwise I'ld be buying my powder in bags from Powder Inc.

Nobade
03-27-2012, 10:30 PM
I have been very happy with the service from Powder Inc. and Maine Powder house. Never dealt with Crater Fireworks but I hear good reports from them as well. We also have Coonie's here in NM if you want Goex.

waksupi
03-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Waksupi,

Deadwood Sd to Crofton Neb is about 420 miles 6 plus hours one way? 840 miles round trip 12 plus hrs. Crofton is on the east side of Neb.

Thats quite a hike. todays fuel prices much cheaper to ship it.

Were you thinking Crawford Neb? thats not so far, I know I got tons of family there its but 90 miles from the Ranch.

KW
The Lunger

Kenny, you are right, it is Crofton, I forgot just how far it was. I always broke up the trip between them going to the Museum of the Fur trade, and time didn't mean much to me when I was traveling, back in the good ol' days of cheaper gas, and loose schedules.

'74 sharps
03-28-2012, 06:40 AM
I use Powder Inc, and have had outstanding service. They need to have a use form on file, which is faxable. Order from web site, and bada bing, there is a box a few days later. No big deal to get it, and less per # than the gray stuff.

Boz330
03-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Just got a case of KIK $13 a pound delivered from Powder Inc. I faxed the form to them after lunch last Wed and called them. He said that I would have my powder Fri. It arrived Friday, now that is pretty quick service as far as I'm concerned.

I called my normal outlet which is Deer Creek Products but they don't carry KIK and it isn't too far to drive to. He has the best prices anywhere if you can pick it up. I'm not sure that he even ships. He is sitting in the middle of ML country and probably doesn't need to.

Bob

Lead pot
03-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Crater Fireworks is about 20 miles down the road from me. They are very nice people to deal with. I picked up several different sample cans from them.
They dont sell KIK or Goex but last time I was there he was selling Swiss for $18.50 when everyone was over $22.
It's still cheaper to have it shipped then to put 5 gallons of diesel fuel in the truck.

Boz330
03-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Crater Fireworks is about 20 miles down the road from me. They are very nice people to deal with. I picked up several different sample cans from them.
They dont sell KIK or Goex but last time I was there he was selling Swiss for $18.50 when everyone was over $22.
It's still cheaper to have it shipped then to put 5 gallons of diesel fuel in the truck.

You got that right, even gas and a little car is getting expensive. We just topped $4 this morning. I have 30 cents off credit at Kroger's so I'll be topping the diesel up this afternoon on the way home. It i usually a little slower going up.

Bob

bob208
03-28-2012, 04:07 PM
i get my powder from fort chambers nere chambersburg pa. it is about 20 mi. from my house. some of the nssa shoots have people selling it 5 lb. bsgs. but if all else fails i would be ordering it from one of the suppliers. i get goex. last time 1 bag of 3f and 1 bag of 2f.

L Ross
03-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Deer Creek Products absolutely does ship. They also had the best price last time I shopped around.
They are at P.O. Box 246 Waldron, Indiana 46182 phone (765)-525-6181. Great folks to deal with.

Duke

catkiller45
03-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Interesting reading about the powder....Question Of all the powder out there which do you shooters really think is the best to be using..Like as far as being clean or cleaner than one over the other..Being of consistent burn etc...Most accuracy etc

'74 sharps
03-29-2012, 07:13 AM
Interesting reading about the powder....Question Of all the powder out there which do you shooters really think is the best to be using..Like as far as being clean or cleaner than one over the other..Being of consistent burn etc...Most accuracy etc

Have tried most, and all seemed to burn clean. Have stayed with Schutzen 3F in my 45-70 @ 65gr, and seems to shoot clean and well.

Boz330
03-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Deer Creek Products absolutely does ship. They also had the best price last time I shopped around.
They are at P.O. Box 246 Waldron, Indiana 46182 phone (765)-525-6181. Great folks to deal with.

Duke

I always picked up so never asked. They are great people to deal with, a true mom and pop shop. They don't carry KIK though. I know they carry Goex and Swiss and probably Shutzen. Last Swiss I picked up from them was $15 a pound but that was several years ago. I stocked up right after the election, figuring that it sure wasn't going to get cheaper and I was sure right.

Bob

Texantothecore
03-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Well, being that I live in Texas, I just pick up BP at the mall (Bass pro).

That scares the living bejeesus out of Easterners when they come to visit.
They can be so funny.