PDA

View Full Version : New Member alloy questions?

Feed_EM_Lead
03-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Hello everyone, I have been meandering around this site for far too long and decided to become a member.

I have a couple questions about alloy mixes for specific applications. I am going to be casting and reloading for the following cartridges. I will be using them for target shooting, self defense and hunting. I would like to hear some of your guys input for the better choices of alloy mixes for each cartridge and their specific application.

I would prefer if you directed me to the right mix of alloys from Rotometals. (like superhard mixed with...whatever) or (Lyman#2 mixed with....whatever) ect. ect.

I can get soft lead from piping and flashing for $1 per pound in the scrapyards. Wheelweights are no good here as most are made with zinc now and over 90% that I scrounge through are zinc and junk. Tin is expensive here as a scrap metal and the pewter that I find from secondhand stores always has slightly different tin and alloy percentages depending on when it was made.

I have found that (for me) it just might be easier and possibly more cost effective to know exactly what percentages are going into my alloy mix and buying from a place like Rotometals might be the answer.

1) .45 ACP- need alloy mix for:

Target and Defense round.

2) .357 mag & 38 special- need alloy mix for:

Target and Defense round.

3) 30-30- need alloy mix for: a 150-170 gr. boolit/ velocities of 2,000-2,200 fps./ capable of taking whitetail/hog size game out to 180 yards.

4) 45-70 gov- need alloy mix for: a 300-405 gr. boolit/ velocities of 1800-1900 fps./ capable of taking whitetail and larger game out to 180 yards.

Ideally I would like my hunting and self defense boolits to have good expansion and hardness, but not too brittle to shatter upon contact. Is this even possible on the rifles with velocities over 1800 fps?

I hope to eventually cast for my .308 and 30-06 and I hope to get jacketed velocities from them. I am also reading up on the paperpatched bullet, but what I am finding is that accuracy seems to suffer in paperpatched with higher velocities. perhaps I have read wrong or the guys experimenting with the paperpatched have just had bad luck with their loads. Anyways, the 06 and the .308 will be a later project for me as I am going to start with the other rounds first.

Thanks in advance, I am open to any and all opinions on hunting and self defense rounds as well as good, expandable alloys at high velocities (if there is any)

bumpo628
03-27-2012, 03:26 PM
It sounds like you need to buy some Linotype. Mixed with pure lead, you will be able to make just about anything you want.
http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/linotypealloy.htm

Linotype is 4% tin, 12% antimony, 84% lead
If you mix it with pure in the following ratios (pure:lino), here is what you will get:
1:1 = alloy with 2% tin, 6% antimony (aka Hardball)
2:1 = alloy with 1.33% tin, 4% antimony
3:1 = alloy with 1% tin, 3% antimony
4:1 = alloy with 0.8% tin, 2.4% antimony
5:1 = alloy with 0.67% tin, 2% antimony
6:1 = alloy with 0.57% tin, 1.7% antimony
7:1 = alloy with 0.5% tin, 1.5% antimony

For 45ACP, lots of folks around here use 50/50 pure/WW + tin. That mix is equivalent to the 7:1 ratio.
I think the 38 Special could use the same mix.

For .357 mag, I think the 3:1 ratio will do fine.

People typically use the 1:1 ratio for rifles. Maybe you can back it down to the 2:1 for the 45-70.

Feed_EM_Lead
03-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks bumpo.

SlowSmokeN
03-27-2012, 09:40 PM
This is a good thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952
Download the alloy calculator. You can play with it for hours figuring exactly what you want to do. Then the treasure hunt begins finding the material.