PDA

View Full Version : why not cut paper patch end square?

nelsonted1
03-27-2012, 01:24 PM
This will probably get my head handed to me but I have seen many angle-cut- 45degree or 60 degree but no mention of why not cut square-ended. Sure would make setting up a template easy so why not?

Ted

pdawg_shooter
03-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Square cut patches work fine, but I find it a LOT easier to wrap the patch when the ends are angled.

nanuk
03-27-2012, 02:02 PM
I imagine the trailing corner would lift

try it and see....

Red River Rick
03-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Try patching both ways.....................you'll soon find out why the patches are cut at and angle!

RRR

MBTcustom
03-27-2012, 03:45 PM
I've done it both ways, I got good results as far as the actual shooting, but it was much easier to make a clean tight patch with the angled patch. The bottom is always captured by your twist/roll of choice, but the top edge wants to lift when it encounters the slightest obstruction. It just makes it easier to get the dogged thing into the case, in and out of your pocket/load box/plastic baggie/ tuperware container, in and out of your magazine, and into the chamber of the rifle without boogering up that fragile unsupported edge on the ogive of the boolit.
You go and do it for a while and you will come around to doing it the traditional way. Unless of course you get some sort of accuracy advantage (which I doubt).

geargnasher
03-27-2012, 04:38 PM
The only kind of square-cut patch that works are post-it note patches, and they come with their own drawbacks. Angled cuts are the only way to go, wet or dry.

Gear

303Guy
03-28-2012, 02:43 AM
I did try patches cut with an angle matching the rifling angel so that the gap impression would be just another line on the boolit. The paper needs to stick to itself so I added a little glue to the water. These were fine and it was mission accomplished with regards the gap impression matching the rifling impression. However, it seemed like fixing a problem that didn't exist so i went with the traditional way because it's so much easier. (But at least I tried it!) Some papers can be made to self adhere by rolling the patched boolit between two plastic rulers. This does stretch the patch so a bigger gap is needed but it only works with smooth side boolits. Rolled on a firm surface with a finger works.