PDA

View Full Version : Guess I'll Break an Anvil Next.

NVcurmudgeon
03-30-2007, 11:40 PM
I was happily casting today, and good boolits were piling up when the mould handle broke. It broke just as I tapped the sprue plate with my small rawhide mallet. I imagine you could have knocked my eyes off with a stick when half the mould fell into the sprue box. The break was not at a screw hole, but right where I had filed a little more room into the handles to use a DC mould in SC handles. My guess is that I left it a little rough and created a stress riser (I think that's the technical term) on the corner where the mould holding part of the handle joins the handle pivot. And I was as proud as a dog with two tails about my homemade DC handles!

crazy mark
03-30-2007, 11:53 PM
Well you just found out what happens when you mess with the dynamics of the world. You done upset the balance of power and that changed the resonance of the metal causing a stress crack to start forming which in turn made the harmonics worse and it "broke".

waksupi
03-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Anvils aren't hard to break. Just whack them good with a hammer. They can't take it. There should always be a piece of iron, between the hammer strike, and the anvil face.
Blacksmiths only go to hell for two reasons. For not charging enough, and for pounding cold iron.

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
03-31-2007, 08:30 AM
NVc; If you have any more of those modified handles, make sure there is not a square notch where you filed, leave a slight radius. When they break it will be from the sharp corner, (like a spring does). Now i'll have to look at my "modifieds".
Nick

Urny
03-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Mornin', Bill. We'll try to find you a new set BRGS 0407. The mold man will have a few I bet. Do you need me to mail a set down there for use until then?

Ric, if those are truly the only reasons to find a blacksmith in Hell, I suspect I'll have to do my own blacksmithing, after passing on.

VTDW
03-31-2007, 09:57 AM
NVc; If you have any more of those modified handles, make sure there is not a square notch where you filed, leave a slight radius. When they break it will be from the sharp corner, (like a spring does). Now i'll have to look at my "modifieds".
Nick

AMEN!!! Just adjust your technique next time you adjust handles and roll on.:coffee:

Dave

NVcurmudgeon
03-31-2007, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=Urny;167187]Mornin', Bill. We'll try to find you a new set BRGS 0407. The mold man will have a few I bet. Do you need me to mail a set down there for use until then?

Thanks for the offer, Urny, but I have plenty of handles. I just hate to lose any of my casting stuff.