PDA

View Full Version : Boy, where have I been?

omgb
03-27-2012, 12:02 AM
I saw Dick Trenk died back in 2010. He's the one that got me started with my Pedersoli 45-90. He was a great guy. Sorry I didn't get to meet him face to face. For the last couple of years I've been shooting trap almost exclusively. I missed his departure as a result. We lost a good one when he left us.
R Talley

Ramar
03-27-2012, 06:13 AM
Dick got me started too. I enjoyed his common sense approach and had time for everybody.
Ramar

montana_charlie
03-27-2012, 12:53 PM
What I liked best about Dick was his willingness to get, and give, technical information about Pedersoli rifles. He provided the description of the Ped Sharps chamber which some people claim has been changed.

One is a mould maker who has never published any dimensions, and a Pedersoli 'warranty gunsmith' who says it changed 'ten or eleven years ago' ... which predates Dick's description.

I wish there was somebody around who knows the real story ... and could tell us what it is.

CM

Kenny Wasserburger
03-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Mt Charlie,

I can tell you were the 45-110 Pedersoli chamber came from. 3 loaded cartriges (dummy rounds) with several different bullets. They all fit a Shiloh Chamber to a tee.

Those 3 loaded rounds were collected by Kenny Durham and sent to Dick by him.

Kenny Durham got them from a fella outa Wyoming.

Dick and I used to do at least 1 dinner at Raton each year, and vist laugh and joke about a good many things. The man was a true Gentleman in many ways.

Some day If I ever get to meet you in person, I will tell you a story about the Shot Show in 2006 and Dick.

Kenny Wasserburger
The Lunger

sffar
03-29-2012, 05:21 PM
I called the fellow who has Dick Trenk's former position with Pedersoli to ask about the chambers. Left two pretty specific messages iirc, but he never called back.
However, here's a photo of my chamber cast, and it's a fairly new Pedersoli Sharps. I believe the freebore leade is not so long as what the older ones had comparing the photo to the drawings.
Sounds like Dick Trenk would have called back!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/184884ebd1dc5b8825.jpg

Sam

omgb
03-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Yes, the Dick Trenk I knew sure would have and he would have had an official answer to your question that you could take to the bank. Dick was one of the greats.

What's all the bru,ha,ha over the chamber issue? I seem to be out of the loop.

sffar
03-29-2012, 07:34 PM
There was a bullet designed for the Pedersoli to fit the chamber very well, so the question of whether that bullet would suit newer Pedersoli's came up, as it was designed to fill the long leade they used to use, but may not any longer. Without the long leade that bullet would sit deep in the case and reduce powder space, making it less than optimim. The question came up in a group buy discussion (and probably elsewhere) for what's known as the Pedersoli Gunn-Trenk bullet.
Sam

omgb
03-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Ah, now I understand. That mould was being loaned out back what, 8 years ago. I think it came from Victory moulds. Dick had a sign up list and folks could try it and then pass the mould on. My rifle does indeed have a long lead. I can see most bullets way out of the case before I even touch the rifling.

montana_charlie
03-30-2012, 04:35 PM
sffar and omgb,
I'd like to add my pennies to your discussion.

First, thanks (sffar) for that chamber cast picture. It appears that the current chamber still has the 10+ degree chamber step, but has dropped the .237" freebore.
Assuming the leade angle is also unchanged, the nose of the PGT bullet would still fit the 'throat' as well as it did in the earlier chamber ... and it is THAT fit which makes a rifle like a particular bullet.

However, it would need to be seated somewhat deeper in the case.

Since the PGT was expected to seat out with two grease grooves showing, the new chamber would have them covered by brass.
Here is an image of the original configuration ...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=88&pictureid=4427

From that, it easy to visualize the change needed for the shorter throat.
The seating depth would be .700" to just cover all grooves. If that is considered to be 'too deep', it would only apply to 45/70 rifles.

As it happens, I used one of the loaners Dick had sent around the country, and I later got a new mould from Victory ... possibly the last one to leave that shop before it closed.

The design shoots well for me, but my rifle doesn't even have a Pedersoli chamber. When Lee Shaver recut it to 45/90 he used his 'match reamer' so I don't have the long freebore, the low angle chamber step, or the same leade angle. (I wanted those, but Shaver said he couldn't do it.)

It was said to have a better BC than the other 'popular' designs of that time, and they would be the Postel and PJ Creedmoor. It was before the Money bullet's arrival.
I'm shooting mostly paper patch, so I sometimes wonder why I keep the PGT mould around, but it sure makes good bullets.

sffar
03-30-2012, 08:13 PM
I wound up getting an Accurate Moulds 46-530B which is his rendition of the Gunn-Trenk bullet. Tom did and excellent job calibrating the mold, and with 1:30 the nose is exactly .450. It seats to just behind the first band, and leaves room for 57 grains of Goex 2F dropped without compression. I'm new to the 45-70, though, and honestly my efforts got stalled and I haven't gotten any further along than that. I doubt it will end up being an optimum bullet for really long range, but the longest range I have access to is 600 yards and maybe it'll be suitable for that or the shorter ranges I'd be likely to shoot most often. Can't believe the hassle it is finding right sized moulds for the 45-70! I've gotten five moulds for that Sharps and only one–the Accurate Molds–is really the right size. The ones that really kill me are the Saeco's and their Tarracorp alloy calibration. Darn things cast about .456 with lead/tin. Useless, but beautiful molds/bullets.
Sam

montana_charlie
03-30-2012, 08:29 PM
I wound up getting an Accurate Moulds 46-530B which is his rendition of the Gunn-Trenk bullet.
So, is that a 530 grainer with a .460" diameter?

CM

sffar
03-30-2012, 08:57 PM
A .460 530 grainer is right. Mine is really casting about a tad over .460 on the bands. Tom's very careful not to go over on the nose so it fits the bore, and my Pedersoli's lands are .450. Scale only goes to 510 so I can't weigh it, but it's meant to be 530. The bullet's about 1.370 long, top band to base about .740, I'm seating about .650 into the case.
Sam

Leadmelter
03-31-2012, 05:22 PM
I have a Pedersoli 45/70 Creedmoor. I sent them an email that I wanted to upgrade the sights.
Dick called me and we talked and he told what I needed and where I could buy it cheaper.
I talked to him as few times later and got good info.
Great Guy: too bad not many like him left.
Gerry