PDA

View Full Version : Unusual work day

starmac
03-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Well friday I did something a lot of people will never see, or even think about. lol

I spent all day hauling blocks of ice for ice sculptures. lol

They had two sizes we were hauling and the large ones weigh in at 4200 pounds each.
The blocks I hauled will be stacked and stored outside with about a foot of sawdust on the top of them, to be used for carving next winter.
They claim they only lose 12% of the blocks on the top row, and we get temps that can be up to 100 degrees in the summer.

We host the world finals ice carving competition here, and I always found it interesting how hard and what lengths the competitors go to for something that will melt and be going away next month.

I also find it very interesting what all countries and states the competing teams come from. I mean think about it how does a bunch of guys in texas or georgia get into carving two story ice sculptures, and where do they get the practice to be competitive. lol

The blocks I hauled were to north pole for an ice park on a smaller scale, but if this interests anyone check out the ice alaska site.

http://www.icealaska.com/

stubshaft
03-27-2012, 12:51 AM
That's cool starmac.

geargnasher
03-27-2012, 01:13 AM
I used to watch the ice carving world championship on tv every year, but now I'm not sure which program hosts it. That Japanese fellow and his team is a machine.

Have you done the stacking before, or is this a new gig? I would be neat to know you had a part in the "behind the scenes" of making that possible.

Gear

starmac
03-27-2012, 02:06 AM
No I am just a truck driver that has hauled it from the pond to the storage yard, and what I have hauled is not for the world finals, but to an ice park in north pole.

All the carving is over for the finals, but when it starts again next year, the ice alaska website has real time cams you can check out for all entries. I want to say they update every 15 minutes.
The wife, kids and grandkid, just got back from viewing all the carvings at the finals a few minutes ago, I will try to put up a few pictures up tommorrow.

missionary5155
03-27-2012, 03:34 AM
Good morning
Just took a wander through the photos. Had no idea how many teams were involved nor the complex figures that were being carved.
Mike in Peru

starmac
03-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Good morning
Just took a wander through the photos. Had no idea how many teams were involved nor the complex figures that were being carved.
Mike in Peru

They are extremely detailed, even the largest ones, you would probably have to look at them in person, to realize just how intricate they get. All on something they know will disappear in a couple months. lol