PDA

View Full Version : RKI: Super Redhawk scope mounts?

TheDoctor
03-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Have a super redhawk that currently has a rail with Weaver style rings attached. Have always prefered a Leupold style ring, but do not truly know if one is better than the other. Seems that the rail and mount/ring setup is a little more cumbersome than should be, but I am not sure if I should just leave it like it is, or get something else? Opinions and experiences please? Thanks.

44man
03-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Sounds like a Weigand base. You are lucky, some red dots do not fit between Ruger rings.

TheDoctor
03-26-2012, 03:32 PM
I think it is a Weigand base. Currently have a 2X Millet, but am about to switch to a 3 X 9 Burris. Targets are a little small at 100 yards with the 2X. Shooting some very stout 300 gr. loads, was also wondering which mount type, if any, was best for heavier recoil.

44man
03-26-2012, 04:58 PM
I think it is a Weigand base. Currently have a 2X Millet, but am about to switch to a 3 X 9 Burris. Targets are a little small at 100 yards with the 2X. Shooting some very stout 300 gr. loads, was also wondering which mount type, if any, was best for heavier recoil.
You are OK, just make the base tight.

TheDoctor
03-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Roger that, thanks for the input.

TheDoctor
03-26-2012, 09:49 PM
My mistake, it's a weaver, not a millet scope.

44man
03-27-2012, 10:20 AM
My mistake, it's a weaver, not a millet scope.
It is good. The setup looks fine.
I do not like a scope for deer because light transmission to my eye sucks in the AM and PM. I use red dots and the 30mm and 25mm Ultra Dots fit between Ruger rings but Millet and Bushnell do not because of turret size.
Your base will allow anything to be fit.
I wish Ruger would put rings farther apart.

bobthenailer
03-28-2012, 07:51 AM
A++++ on the weaver style slotted base for hand gun scope & red dot mounting it gives you alot of more mounting options for different styles of optics as compaired to the fixed postion of the leupold style of mounting system .
I have the weaver style from different manufactures on every hand gun that has a red dot or scope on, from air pistol to 454 casull, and never had a problem.