PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand flintlock stag

waksupi
03-26-2012, 10:00 AM
A while back, I mentioned a friend of mine was heading to New Zealand to try for a world record stag with his flinter. He came close! Here is a short write up from Gene.

I have just returned from an exciting adventure in the great southwest! Way south and a whole bunch west, I was hunting red stag in the south island of New Zealand!! I was invited on a free hunt to try and get the largest red stag ever taken with a flintlock rifle. I didn't break the world record, but will end up in second place with a score of 301 SCI points. The current record is 308 taken with a scoped, in-line, new-fangled sort of contraption muzzleloader. It was hotly contested due to being shot just outside the high fence of a red deer game park, in an area which holds no free ranging red deer!! Our stag was shot 400 miles from the high fence area. My rifle was a 10 bore, .79 caliber Jaeger flintlock, built by me. The hunt was very exciting, I saw at least 16 stags, roaring, in the beginning of the rut. We found our quarry late in the evening of the first day afield. He was in a huge basin with three draws and 7 other stags roaring. From a mile and a half away we could see he was huge and worthy of further investigation. Dawn the following morning found him in the same area. We honed in on his location by following the roaring and grunting. First sighting was 223 yds, too far. Next we drew him in by roaring to 109 yds. All he would show was his antlers and face. We followed higher searching for his sign. Gus the guide saw him in his bed at 75 yds! Unbelievable. I sneaked up to get the barrel through the brush, cocked, set, front sight, squeeze! Gone over the saddle before I could get the shot off. Upward and onward, trying to second guess his escape. He was following two hinds (females) all morning, we searched for sign. Another half mile I was sneaking around the face of a ridge when I saw two hinds running, where was he? I searched frantically! I remembered, he was behind them, I scanned back along the face. There he was, silhouetted against a large boulder, Gus whispered "120 yds", yes! Rifle up, cock, set, front sight, smoke. Gus exuberant, all I could see was smoke, is he down?? You drilled him! Needless to say the New Zealand high country erupted with war cries that shook the hills. Another stag exited over the saddle at the excitement!
Pictures tell the rest. The whole hunt was filmed by a professional, video to follow. Number two in the world, Red stag. 120 yds., offhand, 10 bore flintlock. It is a great day for our cause, those new fangled cartridge guns are a passin' fad. They'll never catch on!
Keep yer powder dry and watch yer top knot!
Gene
Gene Gordner
Master Gunsmith
Kilimanjaro Rifles

elk hunter
03-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Wow!!! I'm jealous, well maybe not jealous, but at least a little envious. What a magnificent animal, and with a flintlock.

I've been wanting a new elk rifle, more exactly, a 16 bore, muzzle-loading, English stalking rifle, but haven't gotten around to building it. I need to find someone that will make me a barrel for it. Seeing the pictures makes me think I should get started.

Tell your friend congratulations.

Larry Gibson
03-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Magnificent!!!

Well done.

Larry Gibson

scrapcan
03-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Rick,

Thanks for sharing. very nice.

waksupi
03-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Thought I would move this to the muzzle loader section, to give you guys inspiration!

waksupi
03-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Wow!!! I'm jealous, well maybe not jealous, but at least a little envious. What a magnificent animal, and with a flintlock.

I've been wanting a new elk rifle, more exactly, a 16 bore, muzzle-loading, English stalking rifle, but haven't gotten around to building it. I need to find someone that will make me a barrel for it. Seeing the pictures makes me think I should get started.

Tell your friend congratulations.

Gene has his big bore barrels made by Ed Rayl. He is a big bore junky. I enjoyed a day of watching Gene try to shoot a gopher with his four bore blunderbus, with round ball. Sure did plow some ground!

Hanshi
03-26-2012, 06:06 PM
That is a really impressive trophy, especially with a flintlock.

DIRT Farmer
03-26-2012, 11:21 PM
I think a gopher with a 4 bore blunder buss would be a trophy also. Those things are a little tricky to sight.

smoked turkey
03-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Magnificent trophy. He has every reason to be proud of that accomplishment. Off hand even and a flinter to boot. Thanks for sharing the post.

waksupi
03-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Gene is probably the best off hand shot I have ever seen. I watched him nail two buffalo at a dead run one day, both shot right behind the ear at nearly 100 yards. He's an old Marine, with gunpowder in his veins.

MT Gianni
03-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks for sharing this Ric. It is a great write up.

Col4570
12-30-2014, 03:44 AM
Are there restrictions to transport the Meat from NZ to the USA.

Janoosh
12-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Absolutely magnificent trophy.
Thanks for posting it and a good story.

waksupi
12-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Are there restrictions to transport the Meat from NZ to the USA.

I think he left the meat for the locals. Here's the video of the hunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh5MmIfy_eM

swheeler
12-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Gene did good! What beautiful antlers on them.

swheeler
12-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Great video! Thanks Ric Gene can carry a tune too[smilie=w:

M-Tecs
12-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Great story and video. Thanks for posting.

John Allen
12-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Thanks for sharing. Great pictures.

varsity07840
12-30-2014, 01:41 PM
Makes my .72 flinter and 6 point white tail look very insignificant!

Duane

1Shirt
12-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Super Video!
1Shirt!

starmac
12-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Sweet memories for sure. More than most of us even dream about. lol

longbow
12-30-2014, 02:21 PM
Now that is impressive! Both gun and trophy! Nice job!

Thanks for posting.

Longbow

waksupi
12-30-2014, 08:38 PM
Great video! Thanks Ric Gene can carry a tune too[smilie=w:

Yep, we've played together for over 25 years.

Hang Fire
12-31-2014, 03:45 PM
One of the neatest videos I have seen in a long time, congrats to all.[

QUOTE=waksupi;3069417]I think he left the meat for the locals. Here's the video of the hunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh5MmIfy_eM[/QUOTE]

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-05-2015, 04:27 PM
Absolutely awesome! Thank you for sharing.

nekshot
01-07-2015, 04:55 PM
wow, that is beyond words! Awesome, I know some folk from NZ and I always said if I had to move to another country it would be there.

josper
01-14-2015, 05:30 PM
Thank you for sharing the video that was grate.

RugerFan
01-14-2015, 08:05 PM
Very nice! Heading to NZ for red stag is definitely on my bucket list.