PDA

View Full Version : what do i have ? no markings on mold

badbob454
03-26-2012, 03:30 AM
what do i have looks like a 38 caliber 158-160ish weight but no numbers does anyone recognise the sprue plate desighn or screw orientation? , dont know the maker or bullet size ....help o you great ones

billyb
03-26-2012, 07:06 AM
SAECO- I have a couple of the Saeco molds, they use that type of sprue plate mounting. The sprue plate is numbered on the one I have. Bill

MikeS
03-26-2012, 08:56 AM
I agree, it's either an early SAECO, or possibly a Cramer mould. SAECO bought the Cramer moulds, so they look alike. I've never seen a SAECO with the end of the 'lever' cut off like this one, normally it's squared off. If those cuts look like a factory thing then it might be more likely that it's a Cramer. If the cuts look home made, then it could be either I guess.

sparky45
03-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Cast em, weigh em, and measure em. That aught to tell you what you have as far as the important data. As far as brand, looks like a SAECO.

badbob454
03-26-2012, 10:30 AM
i need to sell em .. so i was trying to advertise with truth , ill casy a few and weigh, measure, em and list em ... looks factory cut so im guessing cramer mold ..

Huntducks
03-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Mold is a old Saeco from Carpinteria Ca.

Not the best picture but one I had without taking another you can see the Sq. spru plate

badbob454
03-26-2012, 09:30 PM
nice thanks i am humbled to be near you ...

MikeS
03-27-2012, 02:47 AM
Mold is a old Saeco from Carpinteria Ca.

Not the best picture but one I had without taking another you can see the Sq. spru plate

Your mould is a SAECO, but I think the OP's mould is a Cramer based on the corners being cut off of the sprue plate's 'handle'. The very early SAECO moulds looked very much like Cramer moulds, and I've heard that they even still used some of the Cramer parts they got when they bought the Cramer line.

Huntducks
03-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Your mould is a SAECO, but I think the OP's mould is a Cramer based on the corners being cut off of the sprue plate's 'handle'. The very early SAECO moulds looked very much like Cramer moulds, and I've heard that they even still used some of the Cramer parts they got when they bought the Cramer line.

Mike S

I think you might be right after looking closer, but you can never really tell for sure because Ca. Saeco did mix and match Cramer parts with there, I have several Cramer molds and their handels are bulker then this one.

My feeling is back in the 60's and 70's labor was cheaper and the machines slower so it was easier to adapt a crate of parts vs making new ones hence the mix and match from a small shop just getting started.

Badbob

Were you located?

CGT80
03-29-2012, 05:50 PM
I also have a couple molds that don't have any markings. I have a couple ideal molds that are similar, but they don't have the 90 degree bent metal to stop the sprue plate. I searched the internet, but didn't find any others with this steel stop. Could these be saeco or cramer?
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/CGT80/2012-03-21_19-17-55_97-1.jpg

MT Gianni
03-29-2012, 06:13 PM
CTG80, Those might be Yankee Molds. I am not sure having only seen pictures.

runfiverun
03-29-2012, 07:16 PM
and don't ever show pictures of molds that look like that again, ever.
if you don't want them p.m. me and we can work something out.
maybe they can be saved.

CGT80
03-29-2012, 09:16 PM
They do have some surface rust on them. Unfortunately, my dad and grandfather just left them on a shelf after they used them last-early 1980's. I think I will clean them up and see what bullet they cast. I hate to see tools get damaged also. My new MP mold may even get stored in the house, after I get it.

runfiverun
03-29-2012, 09:40 PM
that might have been a bit harsh.
i apologize.
but good molds are getting harder to get.
and they only come two ways good and not good.
i have a couple of 45/70 molds that are solid steel with the handles built right in and were part of a reloading kit.
one has a cool stylized W on it.
it was/is a hollow point and i would love to try it in my 86.
but they are almost completely ruined, i have a lot of work to do just to get them castable again.

CGT80
03-29-2012, 10:22 PM
No big deal....It will just help me to keep up my tools, and appreciate them. I finished putting a new engine in my truck last week, this week I put all my tools back in my tool cart. They are quite organized, and clean. When I look at my dad's or grandfather's tool boxes, it is a different story. I am proud of my tool collection and want to keep it looking good.

I have gathered that molds are possibly even thought of as something sacred around here. It makes sense. We can't have boolits without them, and from what I have read, it doesn't take much to damage the precise fit and finish of a mold.

NoZombies
03-30-2012, 12:36 AM
The molds that I have seen that bent stop plate on have all been Cramer molds. All of my Cramer molds had unmarked blocks and had the marking instead on the sprue plates. clean the sprue plates up with some fine steel wool, and you may find the information you're looking for.

CGT80
03-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Thank you, I'll check the sprue plates. I am also going to see if I can't find some evaporust around my city.

Wayne Smith
03-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Thank you, I'll check the sprue plates. I am also going to see if I can't find some evaporust around my city.

Citric acid works well, too. Check out the loooong sticky in the Kit Bag (I think that's the name of it) section.

CGT80
03-30-2012, 11:41 PM
I just hit the sprue plates with some fine steel wool. They cleaned up pretty quickly. I have two cramers- #10b and #39. I searched the net. I didn't find specs. for them, but I did hear that they are well liked. I will do some more searching here and I will look for the citric acid sticky. Thanks for the heads up.

MikeS
03-31-2012, 12:31 AM
Keep looking for EvapoRust, it's amazing how well it works! Harbor Freight sells it, so if you can't find it locally, you could always order it from them.

badbob454
04-06-2012, 01:54 AM
Mike S

I think you might be right after looking closer, but you can never really tell for sure because Ca. Saeco did mix and match Cramer parts with there, I have several Cramer molds and their handels are bulker then this one.

My feeling is back in the 60's and 70's labor was cheaper and the machines slower so it was easier to adapt a crate of parts vs making new ones hence the mix and match from a small shop just getting started.

Badbob

Were you located?

Grass Valley Ca. area

gbrown
04-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Ace Hardware stores carry it, also. You can buy it on the net, too. Babogerman--everything on the original mold indicates a SAECO, or earlier Cramer. Sprue plate design, sprue plate stop pin, etc. I have sold a bunch of SAECO and still have SAECO's--not Saeco's--some of the 3 cavity look just like the one pictured. My question would be, "Is it an early SAECO with unmarked mold body and a replaced sprue plate?" The old SAECO's, as noted by several previous posts were unmarked on the mold proper, just on the sprue plate. I just offered one on a Ken benefit like that.