PDA

View Full Version : Walnut or corn

NSP64
03-25-2012, 11:41 PM
For your tumbing media?
I used to use corn for the high luster, but the drawbacks were that it had to tumble a long time and got dirty fairly quick.
Walnut cleaned fast, but didnt give a bright shine.

Welcome Flitz brand tumbling liquid/paste . Designed to be added to your media.
I have used Flitz paste on metals before and have always been satisfied.

This is no different.
Works fast with walnut and gives brass a high shine.

I have no interest in this company, just passing along some info.

nwilson1024
03-26-2012, 01:15 AM
I use walnut and added some of this stuff called red rouge. it’s in powder form and gives an amazing shine. I think I bought 1 oz. of this stuff and don’t think I will ever run out. a little goes a long way. the only drawback is that it leaves a slight red dust on the cases (and your fingers) but wipes off on a towel easily.

runfiverun
03-26-2012, 03:22 AM
and inside your case neck, guess where it goes next...
rouge is not good on a throat.
i use the citric acid then straight walnut hull if i want shiney maybe a little nu-finish.
some cases just get reloaded with the black streaks on them.

Boz330
03-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Just ran my first batch with the stainless steel pins. I tried the brownest and dirtiest range pick up and I was really impressed. Cleaned everything inside and out. Not real shiny but the brown was gone and the inside looked like out of the bag new.

Bob

docone31
03-26-2012, 08:31 AM
I use stainless, and Dawn dish soap.
Does real well.

Calamity Jake
03-26-2012, 08:33 AM
I like the walnut and I us the red rouge too. It is a jewelers rough used to polish jewelry and is so fine(like flour or finer) I don't think it will harm a barrel ever as I've been using it for 20+
years.

I have about 3# of this red rouge if anyone wants some, just pay the postage.

btroj
03-26-2012, 08:35 AM
I use walnut. It gets the dirt off the cases. That is all I am after. Clean is the goal, shiny isn't any "better" just shiny.

I don't use any polish, no liquids, no mess. Just tumble in walnut to remove grit I don't want in my dies, and go load.

It is a case, I don't plan to enter it in a beauty contest.

wiljen
03-26-2012, 08:39 AM
stainless, dawn, and lemishine. Works like a charm.

Larry Gibson
03-26-2012, 08:46 AM
I use long stemed rice. Cheapest you can get in bags at oriental markets. Cleans and shines as quick as anything. Midways case cleaner speeds it up (after adding let vibrate for 30-40 minutes before adding cases though). Throw away when it turns black and the wife thinks there's mouses in the house from the mouse "t*rds" on the floor. Cheap, available and it works.

Larry Gibson

9.3X62AL
03-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Corn cob grit here, and untreated. As stated above, my goal is clean--shiny is superfluous and short-lived.

sparky45
03-26-2012, 09:15 AM
I eat all three; Walnut, Corn, and Rice.

dragonrider
03-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Corn with dillon rapid shine, 1 hour only, brass is clean, don't care about shiney.

alamogunr
03-26-2012, 09:45 AM
I use a very fine grit corn cob grit and a sprinkling of Bon Ami. The corn cob is really too fine but I ordered it by mistake and I don't mind leaving the vibrator running overnight. The outside gets very shiny but you can recognize range pickups by the less than perfect insides.

I keep wondering when the old Midway vibrator is going to give up the ghost with the long run times, but it keeps on going. The Energizer Bunny of cleaners.

Beekeeper
03-26-2012, 10:00 AM
NSP64,
Personal opinion!!
It all depends on what you want your brass to look like, remember those words "look like"
I wash all brass in a crock pot with citric acid and water "lemi-shine works great".
I then rinse them ,pat them dry with an old towel , and put them in my tumbler with Walnut and a sprinkling of bar keepers friend , and tumble for about 1 hour.
They look better than new cases and last a long time.
I shoot smokeless and get 20 or 30 reloads out of brass before getting rid of it.

(Disclaimer)
I do not shoot max power loads, I shoot only cast , and never shoot match .
So your millage may vary

beekeeper

Echo
03-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Corn cob with rouge added (about a half tsp), mediated by a dollop of mineral spirits to keep the dust down, along with an old dryer tissue. Let 'em run for a couple of hours...

And I will start using the discarded media for flux, as soon as the present load needs replacing.

jcwit
03-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Walnut will work just fine and maybe clean, thats clean slightly faster.

Corn Cob will work just fine and will clean slightly slower, BUT it will polish much better.

Red rouge will help polish and do nothing more.

With the above said check here

http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

This is small enough to not clog the primer pockets and fine enough to not get stuck in the flash hole, plus its shipped to your door for less than a $1.00 per lb, with no gas expense.

Add a teaspoon of liquid auto polish "Nu-Finish seems to be the most popular" will do the same as the red rouge and also give the benifite of depositing a layer of polymer to retard tarnish which the rouge does not.

and inside your case neck, guess where it goes next...
rouge is not good on a throat.

Rouge and/or polish is a lot less harmful than the grit left from the primer residue from the first shot out of the barrel, and each one after. Push a patch thru your barrel and feel the grit, now stick your finger into a bottle of polish and check the feel.

alamogunr
03-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Corn Cob will work just fine and will clean slightly slower, BUT it will polish much better.

With the above said check here

http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

This is small enough to not clog the primer pockets and fine enough to not get stuck in the flash hole, plus its shipped to your door for less than a $1.00 per lb, with no gas expense.

That is the exact same stuff I referred to in my post. I would prefer the next bigger size, but at the rate I'm using this stuff, I have a life time supply.

In case anyone wonders how much 40 lbs is, when I emptied the bag into plastic buckets, it filled two even though I had used several vibrator bowls full.

Dale in Louisiana
03-26-2012, 03:03 PM
I buy walnut at the pet store where they sell it for the bottoms of birdcages at a price a heck of a lot cheaper than 'official' walnut tumbling media.

If I was ambitious, I'd get a few buddies together and buy walnut media from one of the local painting contractors. They use it for blasting exotic metals. We also used to dump bucketfuls of the stuff into the inlet of an 80 megawatt turbogenerator to knock the cr*p off the compressor blades.

All I'm saying is you can get it a lot cheaper if you shop around.

dale in Louisiana

Down South
03-26-2012, 09:42 PM
I've dumped wallnut in through the air intake of a few turbines in my time too. We mostly just do a detergent wash now.
I'm thinking about the stainless thing some day. My old Lyman tumbler about 25 yrs old now just doesn't seem to want to give up the ghost.

I use corn cob, sometimes treated and sometimes not and have left the tumbler on over night many times. I use pieces of old Bounce to mix in and help collect some of the grime.
I tied the rouge once and didn't care for the dust residue left on the cases.

GL49
03-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Corncob, with Berry's brass polish. The Berry's polish seems to collect all the dust and deposit it as a black layer on the inside of the tumbling bowl. Scrape it out into the trash can, no more dust, the media is cleaner, I haven't bought new media for years. If you start with really dusty old media, put in a dose of Berry's but don't add brass right away. It''ll leave little black spots on the brass until it cleans up a little. Once you get the hang it, your media will be dust free. Every three or four bowls full, just scrape it out, add a little more polish, and go again. The brass looks great, and goodbye dust.