PDA

View Full Version : bifocals + iron sites

turtlezx
03-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Was wondering how shooter cope with this.??
With the bi i can see the sites and not the target
looking over them i can see the target and not the sites?

IDEAS?????????????

stubshaft
03-25-2012, 09:31 PM
I have the same problem, but focus on the sights and let the target get a little fuzzy.

Wolfer
03-25-2012, 09:44 PM
For a while I had my eye doc put me a bifocal in the top of the right lens for shooting my pistols. I just tilt my head forward and look at the sights with one eye and target with the other.
Worked pretty good for targets where you had time to line everything up. Didn't work as well for hunting cause most critters are inconsiderate and won't stand still long enough to get focused.
I don't have to wear bifocals yet as long as I have my reading glasses handy and as remember these weren't any more expensive than standard bifocals.
I used a 27" focal point as that was halfway down my barrel.
They didn't work for rifles as the bifocal was in the top center and aiming a rifle I look out of the corner of my lens.

DIRT Farmer
03-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Good light, wider rear sight notch, an eye Doc who understands what you are trying to do or receiver sights. My rear sight has worn out egg shaped and the frount sight leans to the left.

My Pedersoli Gibbs has a hadly style eye cup with a disc that has various sized holes. using the different holes helps in different light. OR just get younger.

Norbrat
03-25-2012, 09:54 PM
I have a stick on lens (OPTX) inside my shooting glasses and a Merit Optical Attachment http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html on the outside to try to get as much in focus as I can.

It's the best I can do without going to a scope! Dontcha just love gettin' old? :evil:

Cadillo
03-25-2012, 10:07 PM
My Opthamologist is a pistol shooter. I had him make me a set of shooting glasses like his own. I'm 58 YOA and can shoot better than ever between my renewed ability to focus on my front sight and the frequent practice I now get since retirement.

Best money I've ever spent!

softpoint
03-25-2012, 10:30 PM
I use progressive lens, or some call lineless trifocals. Tilt your head till you find the "sweet spot". Work great with handguns, rifles with peeps. Not as good with open sights on rifles.:cbpour:

Wolfer
03-25-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm nearsighted so I wear glasses when hunting. My open sighted Mauser has a fiber optic front and aperture rear. With my glasses on I take the aperture out and use it like a ghost ring. Even though it's fuzzy I'm always surprised at how well I can hit with it.
Competition shooters need not worry though.

runfiverun
03-25-2012, 11:57 PM
front sight and squeeze.

adrians
03-26-2012, 12:05 AM
I use progressive lens, or some call lineless trifocals. Tilt your head till you find the "sweet spot". Work great with handguns, rifles with peeps. Not as good with open sights on rifles.:cbpour:

+1 on the progressive lenses , most of my oldies sport a Redfield or Lyman peep and with the correct "head tilt" all the cosmic wheels come together and the target is clear and sharp, :twisted::-D:twisted:

mpmarty
03-26-2012, 12:46 AM
73 yrs old. I use reading glasses for books etc. 1.5 diopters. I got hit in the head in a fight when younger and my right eye is "fixed focus" at arms length which is fine for pistol shooting and with rifles I strain to get the front sight sharp and just go for it. It works for me pretty well.

madsenshooter
03-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Get yourself a Krag rifle. Don't worry about the rear sight, or the target, get the front sight in focus. It's 38"-40" out there. Works for a far sighted person anyway, but I have to admit, it's getting harder.

williamwaco
03-26-2012, 09:39 AM
73 yrs old. I use reading glasses for books etc. 1.5 diopters. .

+1 on the clip on reading glasses.

MT Gianni
03-26-2012, 09:57 AM
I saved my progressive bifocals for reading. I went to a standard set of bifocals for shooting. They are a little taller than standard and I aline the front and rear sights at the top of the corrective lens then check the target in the non corrected or far lens, back on sight and shoot.

ku4hx
03-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Was wondering how shooter cope with this.??
With the bi i can see the sites and not the target
looking over them i can see the target and not the sites?

IDEAS?????????????

My compromise is 2.0x reading glasses under plastic eye shields. The sights, front and rear, are sharp and the target is fuzzy. My wife has the exact same situation.

For night time when the house is obviously very dimly lit: Crimson Trace lasers on her G26 and my G23. See spot; see bullet hole.

I'm facing cataract surgery in the near term and my Ophthalmologist has informed me I can choose the focal lengths I want: both far, both near or one of each. I'm planning on both eyes having good distance vision for driving. The rest I'll handle with Wal-Mart reading glasses like I am now.

Our Ophthalmologist is a shooter.:Bright idea:

prs
03-26-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm far sighted and always was. Don't know any better so just keep pulling the trigger until I hit something....... Actually, I have apeture sights on my rifles and do not use the inserts. Like another poster said, its remarkable how the visual sense puts the front sight in the center of that big rear hole without even thinking about it, in fact if you do think about it the accuracy drops off. Just look through and put the front sight where you want the lead to impact.

For pistols, I have always used a one hand hold which lets me put the sights out there where I see a little better, plus wide rear sight picture. I'm not the best shot in town, but I can sure scare the h377 out of whatever needs it.

prs

SlippShodd
03-26-2012, 11:53 AM
I didn't need glasses 'til I was 44-45 and went straight to progressive trifocals and that's where I've stayed (53 now). Mostly could find the sweet spot quick enough, but was still having some difficulties. Did I mention I'm nearsighted in one eye, farsighted in the other? Tried bifocal contacts for a while, and that worked great for hunting, shooting and playing pool, but I still had to put reading glasses on to read or tie a fly on or see the dash instruments clearly. Then I went to a different eye doc who informed me casually that I'm left-eye dominant. I'm too old to become southpawed or ambidextrous, so for pistol shooting I've been playing with a much modified weaver hold.
Adapt and overcome.

mike

Grandpas50AE
03-26-2012, 12:20 PM
My compromise is 2.0x reading glasses under plastic eye shields. The sights, front and rear, are sharp and the target is fuzzy. My wife has the exact same situation.

For night time when the house is obviously very dimly lit: Crimson Trace lasers on her G26 and my G23. See spot; see bullet hole.

I'm facing cataract surgery in the near term and my Ophthalmologist has informed me I can choose the focal lengths I want: both far, both near or one of each. I'm planning on both eyes having good distance vision for driving. The rest I'll handle with Wal-Mart reading glasses like I am now.

Our Ophthalmologist is a shooter.:Bright idea:

I had that done 3 years ago on my left eye (no catarac in the right one). I also chose for far vision so I could hunt without corrective lenses, and use reading glasses when reading. After 3 years, I'm glad I made that choice. Best vision my left eye has ever had. The surgery and after-treatment was not a big deal; hope yours goes as well as mine did.

pdawg_shooter
03-26-2012, 01:11 PM
I have a stick on lens (OPTX) inside my shooting glasses and a Merit Optical Attachment http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html on the outside to try to get as much in focus as I can.

It's the best I can do without going to a scope! Dontcha just love gettin' old? :evil:

Beats the heck out of the other option!

Jal5
03-26-2012, 02:10 PM
I used a stick on disc with a tiny hole through the center on my progressive bifocal glasses which forced me to align on the front sight of my pistols. System worked great but that company went out of business recently Clear2Target.com
I am going to experiment with black colored clingon plastic material, maybe I can make the peep hole myself.

Joe

BD
03-26-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm very nearsighted. Always was. I'm 56 and wearing trifocals. I shoot right handed. My solution was to have a pair of Polycarbonate photogray bifocals made with my reading prescription in both small lower lenses, my distance prescription in the upper large lens on the left side, and my arms length prescription in the large lens on the right side. There's a few minutes of getting used to it every time I put them on, then I'm good to go. I highly recommend this system if you can afford two pairs of prescription glasses. I broke my regular glasses this winter and wore my shooting glasses for a week while waiting on new ones. If it wasn't for driving, and binoculars, I might have gone to them full time. They do make it harder to read road signs. I shoot handguns with both eyes open, and while I'm not as fast as I used to be, I don't think it's due to the eyeware. I'm still competitive at local matches with the issue sights on an AR, or the aperture sight on my swede, out to 300 yards, but beyond that it's guesswork for the most part. Oddly I still can manage the stock iron sights on my old Winchester 67 pretty well to 100 yards, but I think it's instinct after nearly 50 years shooting it.
I did put glass on all the rifles I hunt with.
BD

fredj338
03-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Even with young eyes, tough to see sights & target clearly. I found blended bifocals help a lot, but not everyone can use them. Front sight focus always works for me.

zomby woof
03-26-2012, 05:34 PM
OK, I've read all the post's, now here is the answer. You need to have dedicated shooting glasses. You're old, welcome to the club. Your eye has lost the ability to focus and has become hard. Your eye can only focus on one thing at a time. Your glasses or eyes are focused at distance. You need a +.75-+.50 added to your prescription, not your bi-focal. I use +.75 for AR15 and M1 Carbine and +.50 for Garand, Springfield etc... It's called a controlled blur, you can't have either in too much focus. Right now your focusing on the target and the front sight is blurry. Find an eye doctor that will let you bring your rifle to the office, mine did. He'll do the good, better, best thing with his lens kit. I'll guarantee it will be in the +.50-+.75 range.

Good luck

sometimes an old prescription will be in the range. Dig for an old set of glasses.

azrednek
03-26-2012, 05:47 PM
I couldn't find an eye Dr that would allow me to bring in a gun. I brought in a yard stick and taped a nail at the apx distance the front sight is on a two handed hold handgun. I ordered yellow safety lenses. The right lens brings a handgun's sights in perfect focus and the target is fuzzy. The left lens is for distance. Took some getting used to while walking around with one eye blurry the other in focus. Once my brain adjusted to it I can now walk around with both eyes open.

2Tite
03-26-2012, 06:03 PM
I got out cheap. The solution was reading glasses with a smaller diopter than my prescription. I found than a 1.0 worked so well than I'm using a 1.25. (hehehe ) It puts the sight in sharp focus and the target in the almost category.

W.R.Buchanan
03-26-2012, 10:35 PM
I have progressives for shooting in the day time. BUT,,,

You ONLY need to focus on the front sight.

I shoot pellet guns with peep and scope sights in my shop with cheap readers on. The focal length needs to coincide with the front sight distance. Everything else takes care of itself.

With a peep sight the front sight automatically centers itself in the peep so all you have to do is put the front sight on the target and let fly.

It is harder with open sights, and what you must do is line up the front and rear sights and then focus on the front sight, and then pick up your target. Try to only use open sights in very bright sunlight! More light helps.

The target will always be fuzzy. That's why they make it a Big Black Circle.

I realize this sounds overly simplistic, however it is the way I have outlined, and that's all there is to it!

I paid good money to get this drilled into me at,,,, you guessed it! Front Sight!

Randy