PDA

View Full Version : Emmert's Lube

daschnoz
03-25-2012, 08:21 PM
I pan lubed a bunch of boolits with Emmert's about 3 months ago. They have been sitting in an open coffee can on the bench waiting for me to have some time to load them up. Well, I went down to the bench today to do so and I noticed that the lube had become very gummy and sticky. Is this normal? Should I re-lube or load them as they are and blast away?

I know it's the Crisco in the mix (45%). I used some Crisco to lube my 1858 Remmy revolver in some places. I figured - it has the consistence of light weight grease, so why not. Now, it's like a gummy bear without the corn starch.

runfiverun
03-25-2012, 10:39 PM
vegatable oils continously softens bees wax.
it will also have an affect on the paraffins too.

Dale53
03-25-2012, 10:57 PM
First of all, Emmert's (as developed by Bud Emmert) is 50% pure natural beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10% Canola Oil (I use melted volume to measure). I used it for fifteen years when shooting BPCR Silhouette and later for several years for smokeless Schuetzen shooting. I have had very few problems with this. I did take precautions during the hot summer. It melts at 135 degrees so carrying loaded rounds in a cooler when outside temps are over 100 degrees (and who knows how hot in a car trunk) is prudent.

If the grooves are full, just go ahead and shoot them. Otherwise, melt the lube out of the bullet grooves and redo.

FWIW
Dale53