PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scope Stand

bdoyle
03-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Putting together a scope stand, hope to use it for Service Rifle matches. Used 3/4 inch tubing X .125 and some .125 scrap I had. Trying to figure if I need a slider to the scope mount itself or just weld a tab on the tube. Need to put on the leveling bolts and clamps. should work out ok.

Brian

C.F.Plinker
03-25-2012, 05:19 PM
I'd think about attaching the scope to a split wooden block that you could slide back and forth on the arm as well as rotate for elevation adjustment. For offhand you could either keep it on the arm or just slip it over the vertical post.

danski26
03-25-2012, 06:09 PM
I think a slider would be handy. You never know what your firing point will be like. Flexibility is an asset usually.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-25-2012, 06:50 PM
definitely a slider the easier and faster the better i am moving up and down all day when coaching

maybe a quick grip clamp mounted to the block to easily release and tighten one handed

gbrown
03-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Do you have or can find from friends the head off a camera tripod? That would seem to be a possible answer. My Winchester spotting scope mounts to an old camera tripod. Works great at the range. Regardless--that's a fine piece you did.

bdoyle
03-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all the sugestions. Made me think about how I wanted to proceed.
First - Wood. This was a project for the miller hot glue gun. I can work with wood very well but this is a steel project. If it was wood I would have been done by now. But the word rotate changed the direction I was going in.
The center post is five feet long. I can lower the bar to approx 5 inches off the gound. If I need more I still got 10 ft of tubing.
I made up a horizontal slider. I welded up to 6 in long pieces of 1 inch angle to create a u channel that will be able rotate in 'Z' and will hold a plate that will be able to rotate around the horizontal. Will put two tabs on either side of the channel with about 3/8 swing side to side. Should have at least 1/2 elevation adjustment. This will be over 5 inches, so about 8 degrees total swing and 6 degrees vertical. ( .017 per degree per inch)

The vertical slider takes a bit more than a quarter turn of the bolt to release. Will have allen caps as soon as I can get to Fastenal.
Thanks for all the sugestions - should be finished in a day or so(work).
Brian
ps never said I was a welder - it will clean up fine - 80% penetration minimum

danski26
03-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Miller hot glue gun....now thats funny!

Echo
03-26-2012, 10:26 AM
BD, is 5' tall enough? I suppose it is, or you wouldn't have made it that height, but it wouldn't be tall enough for me, to use when shooting offhand.

scrapcan
03-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Miller hot glue gun, I like that too! The good thing about metal is you can cut it as many times as you want. Especially if you have the fore mentioned hot glue gun.

One suggestion I would make is to figure out how to put some weight in the legs. You might fill them with lead. That will make it much more stable.

bdoyle
03-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Five feet was just an even number after I cut the pieces off for the legs and side support. Still have a 10 ft length if I need it longer.
I also figgered to place sand bags on the legs. It is pretty stable but it will be windy here in Nevada.
Still thinking about the mounting head but I have a clamp on spotter mount for fences or car windows. Will use that until I get a better feel for what I need.

This was mainly a welding exercise so when the time comes I might be able to do some real welding. I do cut some of the welds to check penetration.

Brian

Alstep
03-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Keep in mind that when positioning your scope, always bring the scope to your position, never bring your position to the scope. So flexibility in your design is paramount!