PDA

View Full Version : Need to ID a paint color

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Wanting to repaint the RCBS Lube A Matic I have. I am going to bead blast the cast iron body. Does anyone know a suitable paint color that matches RCBS green in either a spray can or a brush paint? I'd like to use a quality brand in a durable oil based paint if possible.

Thanks,

Dave

wallenba
03-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Might be, the good folks at RCBS will tell ya. Can't hurt to call and ask. They might be flattered that you regard it important.

Norbrat
03-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Any paint store should be able to "scan" the item, then mix up the colour for you.

R.M.
03-25-2012, 07:26 PM
From what I was told at Lowes, they can't scan metal, but you can scan say a die box.

gbrown
03-25-2012, 07:59 PM
If there is some paint left on it, scrape it off, gently, and pick up the pieces with clear tape--take to a local store--Wally Mart, Lowe's or Home Depot and see if they can scan it for color match. Make sure they scan the paint, on the sticky side, not thru the tape.

VHoward
03-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Or maybe a picture of the sizer from a magazine add? Will those scan?

azrednek
03-25-2012, 08:28 PM
It has been allot of years and may no longer be available. My neighbor re-painted his Rock Chucker with spray paint he found on the shelf at True-Value. I didn't see a side by side comparison but it looked perfect to me. About two years ago after finding a Rock Chucker on Craig's List the paint colors were close but not a perfect match to my 1970's Jr press. Sorry I don't recall which but one was slightly darker.

In the mid 70's long before there was any computerized equipment to match paint colors. I worked briefly, about 3 months in a paint store. There was an elderly guy I worked with that could match nearly any color except automotive reds by simply eye-balling it. Customers would come in with anything from base boards, car fenders and even had a woman come in with a roll of rose colored toilet paper she removed from a Las Vegas hotel suite. More often than not my co-worker could match the color. You might find somebody with years of experience in the paint business that can match it up for you.

Longwood
03-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Wanting to repaint the RCBS Lube A Matic I have. I am going to bead blast the cast iron body. Does anyone know a suitable paint color that matches RCBS green in either a spray can or a brush paint? I'd like to use a quality brand in a durable oil based paint if possible.

Thanks,

Dave

Auto body paint store would be able to do it and they could mix up some much higher quality paint than Lowe's etc.
Plus,,, they would paint it for you.

Mine is all beat up from use and moving a few times.
A well won, badge of Honor too me.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Problem with the paint on it now is it's too faded. Looks almost pale green.

azrednek
03-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Something I should have mentioned in my previous post. Most True-Value hardware stores can special order many spray paint colors they don't normally stock. I had good luck with their epoxy based enamel paint when I was into restoring VW Beetles. I used it on interior parts as it is really durable and didn't chip or powder off. The epoxy based paint was more expensive than the acrylic enamel but well worth it far as I'm concerned. I never used primer unless I was covering black or a rusty surface I couldn't get down to bare metal. I used to get the special order colors in less than a week but usually 2 or 3 days sometime the next day.

HangFireW8
03-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Use Rustoleum Hammertone paint if you want the RCBS 1990's onward peened metalic look. Not so sure about earlier paint.

cheese1566
03-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Use Rustoleum Hammertone paint if you want the RCBS 1990's onward peened metalic look. Not so sure about earlier paint.

I second this! It is all I use on my refurb projects.
Good stuff and hard when cured over time (takes a good few days to a week, then longer the better. It will dry to the touch soon like regular paint, but takes a while to get hard.)

Check out my JR2 rebuild in my projects link for the color and finish.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the information gents. Looks like Rustoleum Hammered Deep Green #7211830 is what I'm looking for in a spray can.

Longwood
03-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Make sure you get any trace of oil (including finger prints) off to get a nice finish.
I use a lot of brake cleaner for removing oil etc..
Show us how it comes out please.

Hardcast416taylor
03-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I recall back in the late `80`s that my brother had a tough time finding "John Deere Green" exterior paint. The local implement dealers had an off color version of it they would sell. He finally went to a Sherwin - Williams paint store that matched the color perfectly.Robert

azrednek
03-26-2012, 04:35 PM
I recall back in the late `80`s that my brother had a tough time finding "John Deere Green" exterior paint. The local implement dealers had an off color version of it they would sell. He finally went to a Sherwin - Williams paint store that matched the color perfectly.Robert

Don't know about the 80's. In the late 70's while working as a forklift mechanic. Industrial paint like John Deere green, Caterpillar yellow and the Clark lift truck blue and green were still lead based. The paint was not allowed to be sold to the public because of the lead content.