PDA

View Full Version : Linotype price??

centershot
03-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Hi guys! I have a line on a large quantity of linotype from the son of an old bullet caster who passed away several years ago. There is over a ton of metal :D:D:D in one, five and ten pound ingots. What would be a fair price for this metal? He is an old friend, no gouging allowed, just looking for a fair price. Your input is appreciated!

Bob Krack
03-24-2012, 02:38 PM
If ya offer him a dollar a pound you are gettin a real bargain - unless you are trying to sell it at a terrific profit.

I am not knowledgeable at current pricing to say much more than that.

What does he suggest?

Bob

M-Tecs
03-24-2012, 02:39 PM
About a year ago a gentleman by the name of Will was selling a very large amount of linotype. If I remember correctly it was around a dollar a pound. It was still in type set not ingots. This is more desirable than ingots since you stand a better chance of truly being linotype. Normally linotype sell for $1.50 a pound or more on eBay. Call your local scrap yard and see what they will pay for it. That would be minimum price. Whatever it is selling for on eBay would be maximum price. The question is how much hassle does the owner want to deal with. Packing and shipping 30 to 70 pound lots is a PITA.

If it was me I would offer 10% more than the scrap yard and tell them what it’s going for on eBay than they can decide if it’s worth the hassle to sell it on eBay or Cast Boolits and deal with shiping 30 t0 70 pound lots.

centershot
03-24-2012, 02:47 PM
The local scrap yard offered him $0.78 per pound, stating that "It's all lead to us, linotype or not." I begged him not to sell it for scrap, I told him it was worth more to the casting community as lino! He told me je would wait until I got back to him with a price. Is $1.25 a fair price? Not enough?

GLL
03-24-2012, 03:02 PM
If there is "over a ton" offer $2000 cash plus a case of his favorite beverage and take it all !
Sell half in small lots for a $1.50/ pound and come out very nicely !

You do own a truck and have strong teenage sons !!! :) :)

Jerry

M-Tecs
03-24-2012, 03:10 PM
The local scrap yard offered him $0.78 per pound, stating that "It's all lead to us, linotype or not." I begged him not to sell it for scrap, I told him it was worth more to the casting community as lino! He told me je would wait until I got back to him with a price. Is $1.25 a fair price? Not enough?

Last week the local scrap yards in Minneapolis where paying $0.40 to $0.48 per pound. If it was me I would offer $0.90 to a $1.00 a pound and I would pick it up. If it’s more than you want it becomes your PITA to sell.

Defcon-One
03-24-2012, 08:59 PM
If it was me, I'd offer him $1.00 per pound for the whole lot. (You haul it all away for him.) That is a good bit more than he'd get from his recycler. At $1.00 per pound those 10 lb. ingots are gonna be $10 ea. and he is gonna feel rich!

About a year ago, I bought 240 pounds of good quality Linotype ingots and print strips from a guy who was retiring from a small family run bullet casting operation. I paid $1.33 a pound for it all, but he paid the shipping to my door out of that.

Buy it all, sell some here. I could use some, too!

gbrown
03-24-2012, 09:39 PM
I got linotype from Dirtdgger here for 1.40/lb. Felt like I was raiding the henhouse. LOL. Look at Rotometals and their price--like 2.99/lb. If you get it at $1.00/lb, you done good! Sell part of it here and recoup some of the cost! People waiting to buy.

SlippShodd
03-24-2012, 10:38 PM
I'd be all over it for a buck a pound... more than the scrap yard, and as stated before, the going price for Pb. A local store sells lino for $2.00/lb. Well, I should say he advertises it for $2, but I never see his stock moving. If you do the work, he's still way ahead.

mike

SlowSmokeN
03-25-2012, 12:24 AM
Our scrap yard sells it for $1 a pound. $1 is a fair price for you and your friend.

Hardcast416taylor
03-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Last year I stopped by to visit a friend in Pa that doesn`t cast anymore due to various illnesses. When we left he insisted I take an linotype 25 lb. ingot. He refused any payment for it. About a month later I recieved 2 LFR boxes. The first had 68 lb. of raw WW, the second box was 65 lb. of pure lead flashing. Again he flatly refused any money for all the lead saying he couldn`t use it. I get even with him by my continual sending of "stuff" I know he and his Frau enjoy.Robert

shdwlkr
03-25-2012, 12:51 PM
I'd be all over it for a buck a pound... more than the scrap yard, and as stated before, the going price for Pb. A local store sells lino for $2.00/lb. Well, I should say he advertises it for $2, but I never see his stock moving. If you do the work, he's still way ahead.

mike

Mike I think I know who you are talking about and yes it sells and I have some seems to be what it is said to be but one just never really knows anymore. What is interesting is how few stop to check out the little dolly it sits on and put down some real cash. Mine where still in the pig form I remember from casting days many decades ago we used to keep those lino machines just a jumping.

SlippShodd
03-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Mike I think I know who you are talking about and yes it sells and I have some seems to be what it is said to be but one just never really knows anymore. What is interesting is how few stop to check out the little dolly it sits on and put down some real cash. Mine where still in the pig form I remember from casting days many decades ago we used to keep those lino machines just a jumping.

I look at it every time I go in and I consider it, then just plan my next trip to the desert to mine a berm. :) I'm so friggin' cheap! I don't recall ever actually buying any raw alloy material in the 30+ years I've been casting, aside from the 600#s of ingots that were included when I bought all of a friend's casting equipment eons ago, and it's hard to consider that as paid for when I gave him $200 for a Pro-Melt, half a dozen Lyman and RCBS moulds with handles, the alloy and all the miscellany of casting. Oh, wait, I bought a case of 50-50 solder at wholesale one time.
I hardly ever use lino anymore and have a fair stock, including part of a pig like you describe. I just always keep my eyes open for a deal since it's inevitable that alloy just gets more expensive and more difficult to acquire. Being a Cold War baby, I get a little panicky when stocks of certain raw materiel and commodities get below a certain threshold.
Maybe I'l bump into you in the desert this evening, Shade.

mike

Down South
03-25-2012, 05:15 PM
About a year ago a gentleman by the name of Will was selling a very large amount of linotype. If I remember correctly it was around a dollar a pound. It was still in type set not ingots. This is more desirable than ingots since you stand a better chance of truly being linotype.

Yup, I bought 400 lbs from Will and picked it up since he was close to where I work. That was a good deal. Most of what I got was Monotype and a little Lino and Foundry type.
I bought 1,200 pure lead a while back for .50 Lb. I have a pretty good stock of tin too. I finished making a batch of Lyman No 2 last night.
Most would be glad to pay $1.00 plus per Lb. The only problem that I see is it has already been made into ingots. I'd bet it's a combination of Lino, Mono and Foundry type which is still good but the exact composition helps even though sometimes Lino looses some of it's tin content due to being remelted so much.

fredj338
03-26-2012, 04:34 PM
AT $1/#, I would buy all I could afford. It isn't going to get cheaper as less & less Lino is being used in the print business every year.