PDA

View Full Version : not so expensive lyman parts?

troy_mclure
03-23-2012, 04:19 PM
anybody know where i can buy parts(screws, wedge, nipple, etc...) for a lyman great plains hunter rifle?

i looked on lyman's website, and they do sell the parts, but id prefer to not pay $5 per screw.

Maven
03-23-2012, 04:35 PM
anybody know where i can buy parts(screws, wedge, nipple, etc...) for a lyman great plains hunter rifle?

i looked on lyman's website, and they do sell the parts, but id prefer to not pay $5 per screw.

Try Track of the Wolf and/or Dixons.

mooman76
03-23-2012, 07:44 PM
If you are going to deal with MLs you need some good contacts. Lucky that now adays you have to web and lots of resources. Also try dixiegunworks and cainsoutdoors.

troy_mclure
03-23-2012, 08:29 PM
thanks guys.

Boerrancher
03-23-2012, 08:51 PM

Try finding a complete Lock! I have been looking for a spare Lock for my Flinter, just to have around in case things go to hell and I can't get parts. The price of a new lock is nearly $150, that is almost as much as I paid for the gun. I don't need a new lock the one on mine is like new, and still has some blue on the face of the frizzen, but you never know when something may break.

Best wishes,

Joe

mooman76
03-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Ebay and the gun sites sell BP parts all the time and sometimes for not too much being less popular items.

troy_mclure
03-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Well after some searching it's gonna be cheaper to buy them from Lyman, just because nobody carries more than a piece or 2 so shipping charges build fast.
But Lyman's ordering page seems to be broken. It's kinda frustrating.

Boerrancher
03-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Troy, try giving them a call. I have had better luck when requesting parts by using the phone vs the web.

I actually found a spare frizzen and spring on Ebay for a buy it now price of $30, and complete replacement locks for $50 give or take. That is allot better than the $180 and up for complete locks at all of the muzzleloading stores I checked out. I will probably order a spare frizzen and some touch hole liners just to have on hand. I am thinking about in the next couple of months ordering a barrel and rock lock for the TC Hawken I was given a month or so back and converting it to a flinter. It is not that I have a problem with a cap lock, but I can shoot a rock lock for nearly nothing. I figure it costs me about 18 cents every time I pull the trigger on that Cap Lock Hawken, and less than 10 cents on the Flinter, once I go back to making my own powder, it will cost me about a penny to shoot a flinter.

Best wishes,

Joe

FRJ
05-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Try Mid South for your Lyman parts. I just bought a GPR barrel from them and it was over a hundred dollars cheaper than Lyman wanted for it. FRJ