PDA

View Full Version : S&W difference in model 57 and 58?

DeadWoodDan
03-23-2012, 02:41 PM
What's the difference between these two models?

Thanks
DWD

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-23-2012, 02:45 PM
the 58 is a budget version of the Model 57

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_57#Smith_.26_Wesson_Model_5 8

gunfan
03-23-2012, 03:10 PM
the 58 is a budget version of the Model 57

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_57#Smith_.26_Wesson_Model_5 8

No, the difference is in fixed sights (Model 58) and adjustable sights (Model 57.) The Model 85 also has an exposed ejector rod, while the model 57's ejector rod is fully shrouded.

These are the primary differences between the two revolvers.

Scott

Larry Gibson
03-23-2012, 03:23 PM
The finish on the M57 was much better quality and the M57 came with larger target stocks.

Larry Gibson

skeettx
03-23-2012, 03:31 PM
My S&W 57 6" is a wonderful shooter.
Ohaus 210 Semi-wad and 10 grains of Unique turns it into a laser
I have added Hogue grips to all my "N" framed Smiths
Mike

Guesser
03-23-2012, 06:06 PM
The 58 was offered only in 4", so I've read on the interweb; and we all know there are no untruths on the web, but I've never seen any 58 that wasn't 4". There I just helped perpetuate a web truth. I feel more gooder already!!!!

MtGun44
03-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Fixed vs adjustable sights, finer polish on adj sights version. Diff factory grips.

Police gun vs target/hunting gun.

Bill

gunfan
03-23-2012, 06:23 PM
The 58 was offered only in 4", so I've read on the interweb; and we all know there are no untruths on the web, but I've never seen any 58 that wasn't 4". There I just helped perpetuate a web truth. I feel more gooder already!!!!

'Tis true. These were made at the suggestion of Elmer Keith as "the ultimate police revolver" shooting 210-grain SWC "Police" loads at 1000 fps from a 4" barrel.

Elmer knew a good formula when he invented it. this was to be controllable, possess adequate penetration, and good stopping power. He was right. It worked, and damned well!

Too bad the "N" frame revolver proved a bit heavy for the average patrolman to carry. The "Magnum" moniker also proved a detriment during the "lefty '70's" for the Model 58 to become popular.

Scott

theperfessor
03-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Got a 57. Want a 58. As they say, got the itch but don't have the scratch. Sigh. Maybe someday.

376Steyr
03-23-2012, 07:42 PM
'Tis true. These were made at the suggestion of Elmer Keith as "the ultimate police revolver" shooting 210-grain SWC "Police" loads at 1000 fps from a 4" barrel.

Elmer knew a good formula when he invented it. this was to be controllable, possess adequate penetration, and good stopping power. He was right. It worked, and damned well!

Too bad the "N" frame revolver proved a bit heavy for the average patrolman to carry. The "Magnum" moniker also proved a detriment during the "lefty '70's" for the Model 58 to become popular.

Scott

Supposedly (I wasn't there, so its FWIW) police departments in their ignorance would occasionally order and issue the JSP hunting ammo, with much hilarity ensuing.

fcvan
03-23-2012, 07:45 PM
My dad briefly had a M58 back in the 70s which he sold to a buddy. Dad still has his original M57 in 4", and he later acquired a 6" and an 8 3/8" model. I wanted the longer barrel and mine is 8 3/8", my brother wanted the 6" model. He later acquired a TC 10" bbl which is a great shooter. I had to have a Marlin 1894 and love it!

Right before I got the 8 3/8" I wanted a Ruger Blackhawk but they only came in 6 1/2" bbl. When they introduced the Bisley it was available with the 7 1/2" bbl. I wrote to Ruger and asked if I could get a Blackhawk with the longer barrel as it would be a simple grip frame change. I received a letter back thanking me for my interest in their product and advising that if I wanted to buy a Bisley and buy a Blackhawk grip frame it would be a simple change, but they would not do it for me. I kept the letter because Bill signed it himself.

Back to the M58. Yes, it was intended to be THE law enforcement revolver because .38 special loads in the mid 60s sucked. According to an article I read 30 years ago, two law enforcement agencies adopted the M58 intitially. The first being San Francisco, and the second being El Paso. With the development of .38 +P loads, and the increase of women as patrol officers, the fate of the larger N frame was pretty much sealed.

Elmer had it right though, a boolit of at least 40 cal at 170 grains going at least 1000fps would be an effective duty round for law enforcement. The large scale adoption of the .40 S&W by the law enforcement community over the past 20 years bears that out. Frank

gunfan
03-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Supposedly (I wasn't there, so its FWIW) police departments in their ignorance would occasionally order and issue the JSP hunting ammo, with much hilarity ensuing.

I don't think that Police Armorers were THAT ignorant! (It's possible, but I doubt it.)

Elmer's Idea was to place a premium on "ballistic balance" (penetration. frontal area and sectional density coupled with moderate velocity.)

Elmer had it right all along.

Scott

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-23-2012, 11:01 PM
No, the difference is in fixed sights (Model 58) and adjustable sights (Model 57.) The Model 85 also has an exposed ejector rod, while the model 57's ejector rod is fully shrouded. These are the primary differences between the two revolvers. Scott

cheaper finish, cheaper sights, cheaper grips, no ejection rod shroud, fewer options for barrel length, cheaper price...hmmm, Sounds budget minded to me.
Jon

gunfan
03-24-2012, 01:36 AM
I own a Model 657 (6" barrel) and Model 58. (I had the Model 58 "Parkerized."

Scott

maglvr
03-24-2012, 01:54 AM
Not to mention the 58 is about 10 times cooler than any 57 ;)

DeadWoodDan
03-24-2012, 06:12 AM
on the end of the barrell the finish is heavely pitted? This was actually inherited from a great uncle. When he passed they found it in his basement in origianal box and paper. Appears to have never been shot when i recieved it. Unfortuanetly as a youth after i shoot it less than 20 times I became terrified of its power and only took it out to show off. I use to spin that cyl. shut if front of my buddies and now theres a nice line around it :oops:

I took it to get apraised at a gun shop in college and was told the end of the barrel may have been from blood? Uncle Frank use to butcher a few cows back in the day and family members said one shot to the head? Of course Uncle Frank also visited Chicago alot also?? Lots of Family stories to go with this one. Will have to get some pictures to show. Other than they cyl. line the only other imperfection is this. I wouldn't say the crown is affected, but end of the barrel sure looks ugly.

Mine is a 4" in .41 mag. Hoping to do some work with it this summer.

DWD

pietro
03-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Well, in Chicago, the end of the bbl "could" have gotten that way from sticking it up the end of some uncooperative person's keister, then put up wet. :dung_hits_fan:

Combat Diver
03-24-2012, 03:21 PM
As a self accliamed .41 nut and have owned several of the 57/657s and 58s. The 57 as stated was for target/hunting purposes while the 58 was envisioned for the police hence the name Model 58 Military and Police. Currently still have a blued 4" 58 , Blackhawk 6.5" (less then a month old : ), TC Contender 14" and a Marlin 1894S 20".

CD