PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else here like the old H&R revolvers as much as I?

gunfan
03-23-2012, 02:13 PM
I LOVE the old "working man's revolvers." While they may not be as 'refined' as a Colt, S&W or Ruger, they shoot, and shoot well!

I just bought an NIB H&R 733 (in .32 S&W Long, of course.) It is just downright NEAT!

Is anyone else on this site a fan of these?

Scott

JohnnyFlake
03-23-2012, 02:16 PM
I LOVE the old "working man's revolvers." While they may not be as 'refined' as a Colt, S&W or Ruger, they shoot, and shoot well!

I just bought an NIB H&R 733 (in .32 S&W Long, of course.) It is just downright NEAT!

Is anyone else on this site a fan of these?

Scott

We need pictures!!!!

DeadWoodDan
03-23-2012, 02:33 PM
i have 2 for sale locally. Buy both for one price add says. Thought about taking a look???

DWD

Certaindeaf
03-23-2012, 03:10 PM
I love the old top-break H&R's. Are you saying it was never fired before or was it LNIB? I'd think that would be pretty rare.

gunfan
03-23-2012, 03:15 PM
No, this one is NIB, unfired. 2 1/2" barrel in .32 S&W Long and nickel plated. I paid 200.00 for her.

It is a sweet little number, and well worth the cost!

Scott

Certaindeaf
03-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Hey, that's great. One of my pet peeves.. nevermind.. well, I've seen "reputable" gunshops touting guns as "new" (generally the new guns of the week type guns) and they have been obviously fired by perhaps the crew. Congrats!

scrapcan
03-23-2012, 03:32 PM
I would take one of these over a new taurus any day. I just inherited a 929 swing cylinder that will now reside in the range bag to be taken when ever the bag goes out of the house.

Lively Boy
03-23-2012, 04:05 PM
I've got 3 of them and really like them 2 22's one with a 12in barrel. my model 732 in 32 long is my favorite plinker and it likes cast!

gunfan
03-23-2012, 05:13 PM
I've got 3 of them and really like them 2 22's one with a 12in barrel. my model 732 in 32 long is my favorite plinker and it likes cast!

You've got that right! The 733 can shoot like the proverbial "house afire" and kill small game with consummate aplomb!
:2gunsfiring_v1:

Scott

crazy mark
03-24-2012, 12:54 AM
I have too many to list in 22 LR, 22 Mag, 32 Long, and 32 Mag. I have one 5 shot 10" DA in 32 mag.

MT Gianni
03-24-2012, 03:01 PM
First handgun I ever owned was a 22 H&R with the Magnum cylinder. It was one lead spitting son of a gun. i don't miss it.

NoZombies
03-24-2012, 07:23 PM
I would take one of these over a new taurus any day....

Jeremy, that is exactly how I feel about the charter arms products.

I've been looking for a .22 H&R break top with adjustable sights in decent shape for a while, but no luck.

I generally don't find the .32 revolvers at prices that are compelling, but if I did, I would have no problem buying one. I tend to shoot a lot more .32 long loads, than anything in the magnum case, or class, so I wouldn't worry too much about it shooting loose.

FN in MT
03-24-2012, 08:01 PM
No...Probably not.

Enjoy yourself.

colonelsanders
03-25-2012, 03:51 PM
I just went to the indoor range with my "New to me 999" top break. I can say that its a great little gun and I defiately won't be letting it go. I certainly wouldn't mind finding one of the 38 S&W top breaks either.

gunfan
03-27-2012, 09:41 PM
To all that enjoy the old H&R handguns, WELCOME!

I really appreciate what they do, and at the price, they can't be beat.

My Model 733 is a real shooter, and can place a 98-grain RNL precisely where I want it! There's nothing wrong with the good ones, and you can possibly repair the bad. The price is right, and mine seem to shoot quite well.

Huzzah! :smile: :mrgreen:

Scott

crazy mark
03-27-2012, 11:47 PM
I checked tonight and I have 14 of them. all except one in 32 S&W are various 32's or 22's. They are actually pretty good handguns.

Uncle R.
03-28-2012, 12:25 AM
I've liked 'em for years. My step grandfather had a 999 when I was a teenager and I was fascinated by that top-break action. It was accurate, and it was slick to reload. I had always thought of the top-break as an archaic design but when I got to actually shoot one it made a lot of sense - and made a Single-Six seem awkward and slow in comparison.
<
A few years later I learned a friend had bought a new 925 in .38 S&W (Short and Weak?) and I was very impressed by the quality of the fit and finish. Again, while odd-looking it functioned well, had a decent trigger and sights and was surprisingly accurate. It was a heck of a bargain for the price he paid. Looking it over from a manufacturing engineer's perspective I realized it was carefully designed to be easy and inexpensive to make using simple machines and tooling.
<
I'm intrigued by H&Rs in general. They span all the way from extremely simple and cheap "barn guns" to very nice deluxe guns of near custom quality. There's a lot of potential for collecting in that brand - long guns and center fire rifles perhaps even moreso than revolvers.
<
Uncle R.

gunfan
03-28-2012, 06:04 PM
I've liked 'em for years. My step grandfather had a 999 when I was a teenager and I was fascinated by that top-break action. It was accurate, and it was slick to reload. I had always thought of the top-break as an archaic design but when I got to actually shoot one it made a lot of sense - and made a Single-Six seem awkward and slow in comparison.

A few years later I learned a friend had bought a new 925 in .38 S&W (Short and Weak?) and I was very impressed by the quality of the fit and finish. Again, while odd-looking it functioned well, had a decent trigger and sights and was surprisingly accurate. It was a heck of a bargain for the price he paid. Looking it over from a manufacturing engineer's perspective I realized it was carefully designed to be easy and inexpensive to make using simple machines and tooling.

I'm intrigued by H&Rs in general. They span all the way from extremely simple and cheap "barn guns" to very nice deluxe guns of near custom quality. There's a lot of potential for collecting in that brand - long guns and center fire rifles perhaps even more so than revolvers.

Uncle R.

Let me be the first to explain the the .38 S&W can be loaded to low-end .38 S&W Special levels. While not at it's best in break-top revolvers, the .38 S&W is a capable performer in short-barreled handguns.

Don't sell it TOO short!

Scott

Who's this Guy ?
03-28-2012, 08:34 PM
I got an NEF swingout .22LR 9 shot with 4 inch heavy barrel. Close enough to an H&R.

Freischütz
03-29-2012, 05:07 PM
I've had a 999 for many years. It's reliable and accurate. Always fun to break it open and eject nine empty cases.

I only have two complaints:
1. Trigger pull is heavy and the gunsmith says he can't adjust it
2. Rear sight windage screws work loose easily.

ncmn
03-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Nice thread guys and I also enjoy old H&R revolvers and shotguns. I just dont know where to find them, as most folks are *lock crazy around here, but I do not care for them. I just started collecting and like the old stuff so I got a C&R to try and find some. Not had any luck so far, got to get out to more pawn shops I guess. I went to a gun show last week and it will be my last one for a long time. Folks have gone crazy and prices were high, too crowded and not worth the trouble. If anyone knows a good place to pick up some up online please let me know. Thanks

fouronesix
03-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Never look a gift horse in the mouth. A friend gave me this years ago. H&R "Gunfighter" Model 660 22LR. Really not a bad shooter and beats the heck out of carrying and beating up a S&W K22.

tacklebury
03-24-2013, 10:01 PM
I was given a pretty beat up 1915 H&R breaktop and got it to where it will shoot a single shell at a time. Unfortunately, it really needs a tiny bit of gunsmith work to get it working. Hoping later this year to take it in for an estimate. ;)

65295 65296

I should have mentioned that my first revolver I ever bought was a model 903 Target h&R .22 LR also. ;)

Sax.45
03-25-2013, 12:19 PM
I bought a H&R 929 as a cheap carry gun while fishing. Great gun, still have it and works just as good now as it did then. That was about 40 yrs ago...

FergusonTO35
03-26-2013, 05:10 PM
I like the H&R wheel guns alot. Somebody needs to reintroduce them.

pull the trigger
03-27-2013, 05:32 AM
I have a 9 shot top break, 22, with fully adjustable sights that I absolutely love, it is my favorite gun in my collection. I have always wanted the same gun in a 32 h&r mag. My only complaint is cheep ammo does not fit in the cylinder, it is tight, and it used to be a sherriff practice gun long ago so it should be about wore out, still love it though. any one elses tight like that?

tacklebury
03-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Mine loves CCI Stingers or Minimags. Shoots poor with cheap ammo and is hard to extract. Stingers rock 'er though! ;)

Harry O
03-28-2013, 09:10 AM
I had one with a 4" pencil thin barrel and a windage adjustable rear sight in .32 Long (I forget the model number) when I was growing up. Loved it.

Shortly after they went out of business the first time (15 or 20 years ago), I started buying up all the 732 and 733's I could find that were cheap. They were steel instead of pot metal and plastic. They were going for less than $100 at the time. I think the most expensive one was $115 for a nickel plated one (I have seen a few in recent years that are priced double that).

I gave them to the family members for bedroom guns. EVERYONE can shoot a .32 Long accurately. No one is afraid of it. I also handloaded a bunch of cartridges to go with each guns so they could practice a bit.

FN in MT
03-28-2013, 01:10 PM
First handgun I ever owned was a 22 H&R with the Magnum cylinder. It was one lead spitting son of a gun. i don't miss it.

One of the first revolvers I ever shot for me too. Mine was the std model with the .22 cylinder. Shot a Smith K-22 and NEVER shot the H&R again. Bought a K-22 with my 22nd Birthday money...never looked back.

gunfan
03-29-2013, 10:12 AM
One of the first revolvers I ever shot for me too. Mine was the std model with the .22 cylinder. Shot a Smith K-22 and NEVER shot the H&R again. Bought a K-22 with my 22nd Birthday money...never looked back.

And you posted on this thread because.... (complete this sentence.)

wLyle
09-19-2016, 12:13 PM
The Old H&R guns are tough and dependable and I like them as well. I have a H&H 660 gunfighter with the original box and paperwork might be interested in a top break in 30 caliber if I ever run across one. They are hard to find with reasonable prices.

FergusonTO35
09-20-2016, 09:04 PM
I have always thought the lack of a .38 Special kept alot of people from taking H&R revolvers seriously. The .38 S&W and the various .32's were regarded as antiquated and/or suitable only for cheap guns by mid-twentieth century. This is particularly true when one considers that by the 1950's you could get the .38 Special in guns as small or smaller than the H&R's. H&R was still promoting top break .38 S&W revolvers for security use in the 1960's as ads from the time show. Instead, the firm really ought to have started updating their revolver lineup at that time.

trapper9260
09-20-2016, 09:32 PM
I have a 9 shot top break, 22, with fully adjustable sights that I absolutely love, it is my favorite gun in my collection. I have always wanted the same gun in a 32 h&r mag. My only complaint is cheep ammo does not fit in the cylinder, it is tight, and it used to be a sherriff practice gun long ago so it should be about wore out, still love it though. any one elses tight like that?I got a 22 top break also . I won it at a trapping convention years ago that one of the magazine had a raffle and I have not shot it at all it is brand new and I had use the box to carry my other 22 in when I store in in my truck of UTV on the trap line. But the H&R I have not shot it at all. I had 2 people that wanted to buy it form me . I said no. it was the only thing that I ever won that was worth it. I am trying to not shot it as much as possible for that one reason.My other 22 is a single six and dose all I want it to do on the line.

Texas by God
09-21-2016, 01:12 PM
We keep my wife's 999 Ultra Sportsman in our Mule in a Hunter holster 24/7/365. I t shoots great but needed nail polish on the windage screws as noted earlier. I've always wanted the 5 shot break open Defender .38 S&W. Kind of a little Webley lol. Best, Thomas.

Kilroy08
09-22-2016, 02:14 AM
Who doesn't love a top break .22??

My 999 Sportsman was in reasonably new enough condition when I bought it.

..... I need to take it out next time I go to the range.

GhostHawk
01-08-2018, 02:39 PM
I just bought a pair of these off gunbroker. A 733 nickle and a 732 blued.
150$ for nickie and 130 for blackie.

Made it to the range yesterday, little nickie broke my heart with a shotgun pattern.

But little blackie had me wanting to shoot it more.

I am using the Lee 90 grain truncated cone .314 tl with Ben's liquid lube over 2 grains of Red Dot.

Very happy with this load and how pleasant it is to shoot.

Thumbcocker
01-08-2018, 03:36 PM
In the 1970's H&R was the unofficial revolver of every kid in southern Illinois.

eric123
01-08-2018, 10:05 PM
My 949 is one of my favorites. Never a problem with an unknown amount of rounds down the barrel...Purchased in 1978 or 1979 for $69 @ K-Mart...

oldhenry
01-08-2018, 10:53 PM
My 1st. handgun was a H&R 999 "Sportsman". It was my 16th birthday present in '55 (my have times changed). Mine was prior to the faux vent rib & had the 2 piece grips which I like better than the 1 piece.
Mine was accurate & I loved that gun. It was taken in a break in.
I found a replacement through "The Gun List" in the '80s that was in good condition except for a blueing blemish on the cylinder. It didn't shoot as well as the original (it had the 1 piece grip) & I sold it......probably shouldn't have.

Tom W.
01-08-2018, 11:59 PM
I had a 999 some years ago. The rear sight was good for two shots then loosened up. I don't remember what happened to that revolver.