PDA

View Full Version : Cast 45acp similar to Cor-Bon Pow'R Ball

FireFly
03-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Cor-Bon "Pow'R Ball" High Performance Ammunition
gunblast.com/PowRBall.htm

Jeff Quinn of Gunblast.com

Any thoughts about a 45 auto cast bullet with a hollow-point made for a polymer ball (or something else) that would facilitate feeding in the 1911 45 acp auto?
Thanks

fredj338
03-23-2012, 03:27 PM
It would work, but getting any type of sphere to stay in would be the challenge. You could probably pound one in & it might stay during feeding. Most 1911s will feed a pretty wide range of HP. The Dev by Lyman & many other all run 100% in 5 diff 1911s I shoot.

Certaindeaf
03-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Maybe just get an airsoft pellet or somesuch and hotglue it all nicelike. Probably cast using something dead soft or close to it.

Gray Fox
03-23-2012, 03:44 PM
This might be a project for me using the the Lyman Devastator .45 hollowpoint. Question, does the polymer ball simply aid bullet feeding or is it also to prevent the hollowpoint from clogging up with clothing, etc.?

Certaindeaf
03-23-2012, 03:57 PM
If it's one or the other it's a win. If it's both, more winner. It seems the powrball works good though.

FireFly
03-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Gray Fox my guess is both. My thought was to improve feeding with different cast bullet styles/designs. The idea is to have a small hole/hollow point with a polymer (or whatever) to improve feeding in the 1911 45 acp. A 1911 friendly rnfp bullet that feeds like a ball round.

Maximumbob54
08-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Bump for an old thread.

Has no one tried this yet? Any links to results? I'm thinking of trying it myself with one of Mihec's molds that have that huge cavity. I would love any links to anyone's best try at a FTX cast clone.

runfiverun
08-27-2012, 05:05 PM
back in the old day's we just used a glue gun and some hot glue to fill in a hollow point.
you could also look in the swaging section.
where many of the 8mm airsoft pellets are being used in the 45 acp hollow cavity to make the rounded nose, in conjunction with a notching die, to simulate a cross between the glazer and an xtp.

fcvan
08-28-2012, 11:51 AM
I have a Lee 450-200 RNHP originally designed for use with an 1858 Remington percussion revolver. The front band is about .454 and is tapered to an undersized base that I check with an aluminum plain based check. Yay, Pat! The hollow point is too small for a 6mm air soft pellet so I'm going to use a pin instead of a nose punch when sizing the boolit. Hopefully the pin will open up the hollow point enough to then seat the air soft pellet. I know for a fact the pellet isn't needed for the boolit to expand or for the boolit to feed in my 1911. I just want to seat some neon lime green air soft pellets for some home grown zombie boolits, that and I have like 5000 neon lime green air soft pellets :) Frank