PDA

View Full Version : What a dummie I am

Rockchucker
03-23-2012, 10:44 AM
I put a new to me die in the sizer (.358) after measuring the middle hole in the die, the rest were full of lube and thinking the top row and bottom row was plugged I started sizing and for the life of me couldn't figure out why I getting lube on the base and the nose. After fiddling with this headache the light switch turned on and pulled the die and scraped the lube off I noticed they weren't plugged. So, I went to the shop and plugged these holes up and started over, guess what! perfect boolits from the start. I feel like such a DUMMIE! /Ron [smilie=b:

runfiverun
03-23-2012, 03:15 PM
the simple answer is most often the correct one..
i usually say to myself.
okay what did i do....

leftiye
03-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Don't feel bad. That's not a big deal. Most of us have done worse. (and I am speaking for myself)

Houndog
03-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Like they say, s--t happens! If that's the biggest mistake you ever make you are FAR better than I am!

williamwaco
03-24-2012, 01:22 PM
I must be a bigger dummy!

I do not understand what you are talking about.

I have used the Lyman 45, the 450, and now the 4500 since about 1956.
I have about 20 sizing dies and a gob of top punches.

I have never plugged a hole in a sizing die.
What holes are you plugging and why do you do that?

2ndAmendmentNut
03-24-2012, 01:40 PM
I must be a bigger dummy!

I do not understand what you are talking about.

I have used the Lyman 45, the 450, and now the 4500 since about 1956.
I have about 20 sizing dies and a gob of top punches.

I have never plugged a hole in a sizing die.
What holes are you plugging and why do you do that?

Don't worry plugging holes in a sizer die is only something you do for Star lube sizers.

Rockchucker
03-24-2012, 02:28 PM
On a Star you align the lube groove (single lube groove boolit only) up with the middle row of lube holes, then measure the distance to the top of the die and seat the boolit to that depth. If you don't plug the top and bottom rows of holes you'll probably get a big ole glob of lube on the nose and the base of the boolit like I got. I bought this die used and it was full of lube and the holes were covered up, I just grabbed it and adjusted it then tried to adjust it over and over making a bigger mess doing this until I pulled the die and examined the lube holes and wa la, needed plugging. Dummie me!

williamwaco
03-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Wow,

That makes me feel better about two things.

1) I am not completely stupid, ( Unless you ask my wife.)
2) I don't own a Star Sizer. I bought one about 40 years ago and kept it about three weeks. I remember that I hated it but it has been so long ago, I don't remember why.

nanuk
03-24-2012, 09:43 PM
williamwaco, you're a STAR to me, and you don't need no lube/sizer to prove it!

Hey... I should write a song with that!

runfiverun
03-24-2012, 09:51 PM
if you could work in a hot chick and maybe a train........