PDA

View Full Version : bore sighter

Beekeeper
03-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Has anyone used one of the laser bore sighters?
Green or red?
What kind is best?

I do not have the space to use one at home so .. can they be used at the range in daylight?

Lot of dumb questions but would like some opinions before I plank down the bucks for something that isn't gonna work.

beekeeper

Junior1942
03-23-2012, 05:36 PM
I have a red laserlyte and like it. About 15 ft is enough space for mine. I mount the rifle in my bench vise and align the bore/laserlyte on a spot on a wall. Then if the scope is, say, 1 1/4" above the bore, I adjust the scope crosshairs 1 1/4" above the red dot on the wall. It's never been more than 2" to 4" off at 100 yards.

pietro
03-24-2012, 11:58 AM
IMHO, my blue boresighter works best - anywhere.

I use my bright blue right eye, to look through the bore, out one of my home's windows, at a sharp-color corner feature of some neighbor's place about 100 yds away, and adjust the scope accordingly.
I use an accessory small dental mirror, to boresight rifles with a closed-in receiver rear/breech.

K.I.S.S. [smilie=w:

oneokie
03-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Any radio-tv-water towers in your area with beacon lights?
Bore sight on one of the lights, adjust scope to same light.

Casting Timmy
03-24-2012, 04:07 PM
I agree with oneokie, you don;t need the tool to bore sight.

I used to shoot at a range where a lot of people came with their rifle from a store freshly bore sighted and still couldn't hit paper at 25yrds. They even had to pay for the bore sighting after buying the rifle from them. I don;t know why people get their guns worked on at a chain store.

Remove the bolt and put the gun in something steady and aim using the bore, then adjust your sights to match. I have sighted along the barrel for guns that I couldn't see through the barrel. Start off at a close range and make sure you;re hitting the paper.

Fire a shot and then aim at the same point you were originally aiming at. Holding the gun steady in it's position move the sights to where the bullet hit. A lot of rifles will hit the bullseye at 25yrds and 100yrds, so once you get it aimed in at 25yrds and have no problems hitting the bullseye move out to a 100 yards and finalize any adjustments if needed.

If you have adjustable mounts you can turn your adjustment for your sights all the way left and then count the number of turns to take it all the way right. Go back half the number of turns and then adjust with your base as desired and then fine tune with the sights.