PDA

View Full Version : Lucked out with linotype

bruce381
03-23-2012, 01:36 AM
I got lucky on craigs list and picked up 4 lino bars with the funny hook end to go into the machine. paid only $1.00 Lb but how do i melt it to a easy to handle ingot? i thought best way is to hang on wire in garage and slowley lower into turkey fryer, but need to get a new ladle. Or use sawzall and cut up chunks as needed only to sweeten soft range lead.

runfiverun
03-23-2012, 06:26 AM
hit it on it's edge.
i just swing it against the steps.
but leaning it on them and hitting it with a sledge hammer will break it apart.
i will cut it with my saws all or porta band if i wanna follow a line.

ShooterAZ
03-23-2012, 10:09 AM
hit it on it's edge.
i just swing it against the steps.
but leaning it on them and hitting it with a sledge hammer will break it apart.
i will cut it with my saws all or porta band if i wanna follow a line.

+1 I will score a line on it with a hacksaw and hit it with a 4lb sledge. It snaps right apart. Don't try this with pure lead though...it will just bend.:(

sargenv
03-23-2012, 11:40 AM
I used an old hatchet for a wedge, picked a spot on the Lino bar, placed the hatchet blade, then whacked it with a 2 pound sledge until the bar broke in two.. works pretty good and you can be fairly precise with where you want to cut it..

bruce381
03-24-2012, 11:20 PM
thanks good ideas sounds faster than sawing or melting

sav300
03-25-2012, 06:48 AM
I hang mine from a engine lifting crane and lower into the pot as it melts.
Works good.

fredj338
03-26-2012, 04:35 PM
That's a std lino ingot, 22# I think, how I used to get mine from a local print shop. I just held it by hand in the casting pot. It melts @ a pretty low temp & until you get half way thru, you don;t even need gloves to hold it. You can measure off the ingot & get approx wt per inch, mark w/ a Sharpie.