PDA

View Full Version : Source for Win 94 AE .44 Mag Barrels

Dragoon 45
03-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Asking this for a friend. He is considering rebarreling a Win 94 AE in .44 Mag. The rifle currently has a 24" microgroove barrel and yes it is a Winchester production barrel. He has had very poor luck getting an accurate load with this rifle (it slugs out at .434 just past the chamber and at .436 at the muzzle) and is considering rebarreling it with a traditionally rifled barrel.

Who is a good source for .44 Mag barrels for the 94 AE? Also can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in the NE Okla area that does rebarreling? All the smiths he has contacted send their rebarreling work out of state and I believe he prefers to deal directly with whoever does the work.

Thank You.

runfiverun
03-23-2012, 01:59 AM
i would think he could buy an aftermarket from anybody he wants. in the profile he needs to fit the rifle.
green mountain etc should be able to make it easily.
the smith could then cut the threads clean up the chamber and fit it to the rifle.
his other option would be to recut/rebore the bbl he has to 45 colt in a traditional style.

03-23-2012, 07:07 AM
Dragoon 45,
I just sent my trapper out (two years ago) to get a new barrel for the same reason. I'll dig around and find out where the smith got the barrel. I do know that he could not find the correct tapper and had to lathe it out himself. Not perfect, but only the closest inspection shows any very minor irregularity. By the way, I had him apply a ramp mounted front sight (no dovetail cut in the barrel) and no rear sight at all. I installed a Williams peep at the receiver and it all works beautifully, now.

Dragoon 45
03-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Thanks guys.

The troubles he has had with that Winchester are a big reason I don't think I will ever again buy one for myself. Even with all the problems Marlin has been having, they don't seem to be near as bad as the QC problems that Winchester had. By the serial number this was a mid 90's production gun.

runfiverun
03-24-2012, 02:40 AM
the ones made for the first home made 44 mag 92's were made from worn out 30-30 etc. bbl's that were rebored.