PDA

View Full Version : Update on my muzzle loader kit

oldracer
03-22-2012, 11:06 PM
At first it seems like an insurmountable amount of work but it is coming along. I have the barrel set in after buying a Gunline Tools channel scraper and since they are just up the road in the LA area I got it the next day with regular USPS shipping! I have the trigger assembly set in, the lock in fully and mounted the powder drum. I am currently lowering the notch in the top of the lock plate so the powder barrel sits nicely on it. Right now the rear of the barrel rises a bit so I will be getting that set. I was worried about the drill and taping of the powder drum hole but it went in straight and true. In talking with Ryan at Muzzle Loaders Supply, he noted that most lock plates need some dressing out. I also need to cut off about a thread from the powder drum mount and angle it so no patches get caught. Whew next was the fore end cap and that went on easy, just lots of shaving and sanding. The underlugs are in as are the rod thimbles but not drilled and pined yet. I made a drill guide so the holes will go in the right place. Here are some picts.

docone31
03-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Looking good!
I made my channel by cutting a 7/8" wood bit and chucking it in a router. Couple of passes and bingo!
Rear lock screw looks solid! Not half out of the breech plug, all the way on. I prefer it that way.
Lot of work there, and fine figuire on the stock.
Way to go.

Boerrancher
03-22-2012, 11:22 PM
That is going to be nice. I love that stock and it doesn't have any finish on it yet. Great job so far.

Best wishes,

Joe

x101airborne
03-23-2012, 08:27 AM
I like the blonde color of natural wood. When I restocked my 54 cal, I just finished the wood in BLO and did not stain it. I may some day, or may not.

Boerrancher
03-23-2012, 12:11 PM
On those light stocks a couple of thin coats of linseed oil will really bring out the grain and keep it light. Plus the linseed oil is a traditional wood finish. Just don't go over board with it or it will get sticky in hot weather.

Best wishes,

Joe

Hanshi
03-23-2012, 05:00 PM
You've made me even more eager to build one. Looking good.