PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the valve off

peter nap
03-22-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm finally starting to build my bowling ball cannon. I have an O2 tank.

I can't get the stupid valve off. It won't budge. I called Arcet today to see if they would pull it and got the "You'll shoot your eye out" routine.

Any Ideas?

buyobuyo
03-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Try heating the bottle where the valve screws in with a torch while someone else wrenches on the valve.

Stockcarver
03-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Will this show up on Myth Busters?

Longwood
03-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Welding supply stores often have the vise and tool to take them out.

waksupi
03-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Give it a squirt of Kroil, put a bunch of half hitches around it with rope, and take a pipe wrench to it. Or set it near a few teenagers, and tell them don't take that valve off of there!

Longwood
03-23-2012, 12:59 AM
People can always find a 8 foot wrench but the vise to hold the tank is the problem.
Taking a valve out of a propane bottle is way easier in comparison
They are bottles, not tanks.
Another thing, if it is an empty oxygen bottle there is little danger. Oxygen will not burn. It is an accelerant (spelling?) not a fuel.

peter nap
03-23-2012, 03:35 AM
Will this show up on Myth Busters?

Unless today goes better, it may show up on Jack *** the cannon builder.:groner:

kbstenberg
03-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Two days ago I was trying to get a valve off of a 25lb propane tank. No luck. So I just cut the valve off near the tank with a hack saw. I am letting it air out for a couple of days before I cut the top of the tank off for a smelting pot.

peter nap
03-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Two days ago I was trying to get a valve off of a 25lb propane tank. No luck. So I just cut the valve off near the tank with a hack saw. I am letting it air out for a couple of days before I cut the top of the tank off for a smelting pot.

That would get the valve off, but I need the threads to screw a breech plug into.

John Taylor
03-23-2012, 09:20 AM
A trick I learned from an old plumber , try tightening the valve first. Seems strange but if it don't want to come loose it will some times break loose going the opposite direction, then unscrew.

peter nap
03-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks Guys!
Problem solved, Two heavy duty Ratchet straps and the steel frame off of an old snow plow made the vise.

An end of the world size pipe wrench and a 5 pound hand sledge made the muscle!

On to the Cannon making. It looks like the valve has the same thread as a trailer hitch ball, so I have my Breech Plug.

waksupi
03-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Ratchet straps! That is high tech! That is why I suggested the half hitches of rope. Put a half dozen half hitches on, and you can pull the very devil out of his hole!

scrapcan
03-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Now you need to document you build with pictures. I had seen others that used the hitch ball shank for the breech plug and the ball for a pintle type elevation adjuster.