PDA

View Full Version : Throating reamer

Irascible
03-22-2012, 08:28 PM
I would like to ream the throat of my cast bullet ruger #3 it has an 8mm bore and 32 Special chamber. I know I want a 3 degree (combined angle) throat, the question is what do I want to procede it. 3 degrees right from the cartridge mouth? A ball seat of groove diameter (how long) and then 3 degree taper? OR? It will be for fixed ammo, although just barely fixed.

largom
03-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Do you already have the throating reamer or are you going to buy one. Your throat should be about .001 in. over the ogive of the boolit you are going to shoot. Pacific Tool & Gauge will make you a throating reamer at your choice of diameter and leade angle. Their reamer is adjustable for depth of cut and comes with a "T" handle. You can cut the throat until your loaded case just chambers or where ever.

Larry

leftiye
03-22-2012, 11:02 PM
There are gobs and oodles of threads about this. Might it be possible to choose one good thread and make it a sticky?

The rod with a split sawed in it down the middle front end/ sandpaper (400 grit) in the slot/ turned by a hand drill motor does fine. You can also put a chucking reamer in a drill press or milling machine and ream them out (note: use a straight reamer!) - much cheeper than buying a special one from Manson or Clymer.