PDA

View Full Version : Price of brass

Ed Barrett
03-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Seems like for the last few years I have not had much luck picking up range brass. The last three times I've been at the range I've found 100 plus pieces of brass, 270, 30-06, 30-30 7.62x39 and 40 S&W. Has the scrap price of brass gone down or what? It used to be that 9mm was like gravel at the range in St. Joe and the price of brass went up and every fool was running out to pick up brass as soon as it hit the ground. I'm not talking about reloaders or even shooters but people selling scrap brass. I saw in the news that thieves are still stealing copper pipes out of churchs out east.

GRUMPA
03-22-2012, 08:29 PM
With the unemployment rate the way it is I'm sure that people are trying to make a buck how ever they can. As far as scrap brass prices I have no clue around here, people have a tendency to use anything for as long as possible.

But it seems that people that picked up brass a few years ago thinking they were going to get rich on the stuff seem to be trying to prey on the ignorant. I see this all the time, and when buying brass in bulk the key word I see being used more and more is MIXED head stamp. Last bunch I got (not from here) had more foreign cases than you could imagine. When I told him about it he said "I told you it was mixed" and now I get down right picky.

Brass now in the more common stuff really hasn't gone up in price all that much, it's the big stuff I've seen take a bigger jump, things starting from 38cal and up.

Jason30-30
03-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Where I shoot there is 2 people (non shooters) that pick up the brass once in a while but there is as you mention NEW once fired 30-06,270,308 etc on the ground all the time.

edler7
03-22-2012, 11:00 PM
I used to be able to pick up 2-300 45 and all the 223 I wanted. Now...just rimfire, aluminum and steel cases. I feel like it's a good day if I find a dozen cases I can use. The brass buckets are empty all the time.

Certaindeaf
03-23-2012, 12:46 AM
I smile only because I have amalgam of mercury and not gold in my tooth cavities.

Czech_too
03-23-2012, 01:52 AM
As I recall, the last time I took brass to the scrap yard I got .90 a pound, .70 for the bullet jackets.
Vacant houses are a target for any kind of scrap metal as are the copper downspouts on churches.
I very seldon find any rifle brass, other than steel. There isn't much in the way of pistol brass either.

wv109323
03-23-2012, 03:17 AM
I believe that some of the shortage of brass on ranges is the increased amount of reloaders and people saving brass in anticapation of reloading one day.
Also last time I was at the range there was a young man picking up all manner of reloadable brass. What calibers he did not reload he would trade with someone for brass that he could reuse. I introduced him to this sight.
As far as theives stealing copper ,in Chicago, with the downturn in the housing market the foreclosed homes were being destroyed by theives stealing copper wiring,A/C Heat pumps,kitchen cabinets, showers and windows. The city of Chicago is left with the clean-up cost. In some housing developments as many as 60% were foreclosed on and destroyed by theives.

Stephen Cohen
03-23-2012, 05:08 AM
We have large bins for brass at range. Today I got 59, 222, 11, 308, 27, 243, and 9, 303 it was a bad day for brass. but Im still happy.

dragon813gt
03-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Current cost of #1 scrap copper is around $3.30. It's very profitable right now. Bullet jackets which are #2 are slightly above $3.00. Brass adds up quickly as well for people to turn a profit. I pick up any brass on the ground. If I don't use the caliber I will trade it. 22s go in a bucket and a 5 gallon bucket yields a decent amount of money. It's worth it to spend a few minutes picking it up.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

41 mag fan
03-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Range about 25 mi from me, you're guaranteed there's a brass monger there every weekend. Gets really irritating, you decide to go downrange to replace your target or whatever, you turn around and he's pilfering the ground on your lane. He'll give you back your brass, or any you want, but it get to the point of ridiculous.
As much as the brass buzzard is irritating, I worry he'll make a mistake and get hurt sometime, whether by his fault, or some idiot with a gun in hand not realizing or paying attention.

bbs70
03-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Last year there were some guys stealing copper from power lines in the country.
Around certain areas here in Illinois people have been putting cages over their ac units to prevent theft.

As for my brass habits, well when I go to the range ,where I'm a member, first thing I do is look for brass.
What I can't use I trade or sometimes give to other shooters at the club.
Makes for some good friendships.:drinks:
I usually find 9mm or 223, here lately I have found some 38, 30cal M1carbine, an occasional 45acp.
Its all good.

Wayne Smith
03-23-2012, 09:56 AM
There is a handicapped guy - very bad leg - who picks up brass at the range I attend and has for years. He shoots 22 usually but does reload. Shy, withdrawing, and wouldn't touch any brass you wanted. I have no problem with him, and have given him some brass I picked up that I didn't need.

429421Cowboy
03-23-2012, 04:12 PM
I pick up all the shiny stuff i find for load or trade, the nasty chocolate brass goes in a bucket for scrap. No real ranges here to go to but there are several spots people use regularly, gravel pits and such, that always yield plenty. We hauled in our scrap last week to get money for spring break, got $1.50/lb for yellow brass, had a bucket of 50 pounds of range brass and sprinkler heads. #1 copper goes for $2.20 around here now, makes theft of ground wires in transformer stations a regular thing as well as the wires out of centerpivot irrigation systems. I have heard the theft of bronze statues has become common as well, although i'm not sure what bronze brings and thankfull have not had any problems with that in our area.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-25-2012, 08:56 AM
just was at the range yesterday , handed the kids a bag and set them to picking up , my son gets to one lane and finds a pile of 308 brass , beridian primed , "dad were rich " we also picked up half a coffee can of steel cases , but our total haul was over a hundred usable 9mm around 50 40S&W and 30 or so 223

spring is great when everyone starts visiting the range again

canyon-ghost
03-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Last year there were some guys stealing copper from power lines in the country.

Same here in Texas, it's a felony.

rockrat
03-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Pickings around our range are pretty slim. Hardly anyone leaves brass. I did get a whole 13 pieces of 270win brass the other day.
Every now and then, someone with an AR shoots and leaves his new brass laying around :)
\
Most AR guys I know pick it up almost as soon as it hits the ground.

Hardcast416taylor
03-25-2012, 12:13 PM
In Detroit the copper thieves are really giving headaches to the community by where the copper is stolen. The other metals that thieves are stealng is making empty homes look like a tornado has been thru there. Steel thieves are taking fencing from around buildings and stripping anything they can from forclosed business and shops. Every now and again there is a crispy critter fatality from a copper thief cutting into a live high voltage line, serves him right is what I think.Robert

ErikO
03-26-2012, 04:23 PM
I got to try out my new AR brass catch. Works like a champ but after 28 pieces it pulls too much and the last two just stay by the port until you shift the rifle on it's axis to the right.

It was nice not feeling tired after picking up brass at the range on Saturday. :)

Ed Barrett
04-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Had another good day Friday, found 37 303 Brit cases at the range plus some 270 brass. My 303 cases made by Dominion of Canada in 1943 have had at least 20 reloads and are still going strong. Also picked up 90 Hornady 223's. It's been getting better and better.