PDA

View Full Version : 8x56R and Trailboss

muskeg13
03-22-2012, 04:49 PM

I picked up this little gem for $80 at the January Wasilla gunshow. It was missing the rear sight, and as it turns out that was just as well. I can't see well enough to hit anything with the issue sight, so I installed a Lyman 57SME (backwards). The safety thumb tab had to be ground down a little on the side to provide clearance. I'm still working out loads, but Unique and Trailboss seem the best with cast bullets so far. I've tried 2400 twice, 18 and 20 grains, and got blowback both times. Lee C329-205-1R boolits seem to work OK in my .330 bore.

Old Iron Sights
03-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Please tell me that grouping was less than 50 yards. Haven't had that kind of luck with the 329. Good job.

muskeg13
03-23-2012, 03:13 AM
It was at exactly 50 yards. A couple of things work in my favor. First, my Lee mould casts boolits at .332, and then my Lee sizer squeezes them down to a bit over .330, which is my bore size.

I believe the group could really have been closer to 1" because it was cold and I was just trying to quickly shoot a few shots to get an idea of how the load would do. 13 gr of Trailboss, shot last week, was a little larger, but was too mild. I calculated that I can go up to 18 gr max. The aperature sight also helps to tighten the group.

badgeredd
03-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Do you have an idea of your velocity?

Pretty decent group in my opinion. I intend to get the same mold soon but it will require some lapping and Beagling to fit my gun. I need an absolute minimum of .333" diameter. Right now I am using a plain based Frankenstein mold which I recently found will take pop cap 35 caliber gas checks. I'm impressed with how much fun these carbines are with cast boolits and moderate velocities. I'm not impressed with the recoil from full house loads.

Edd

Old Iron Sights
03-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Badgerdad, you may want to buy the 338 mold. You can buy a lee sizer and hone it out to the size you want.

Need to get mine out this weekend and find a good red dot load. Haven't shot it much since I worked up some 332 boolits.

drhall762
03-23-2012, 12:54 PM
2 - 3 MOA. I'd be as happy as a hog in slop. This is good info. Keep it coming.

muskeg13
03-23-2012, 02:14 PM
I have no idea of the velocity. It's too cold to use the chronograph. Hopefully, I'll start chronographing loads next month. I'm going to continue experimenting with Unique and XMP5744. Has anyone had success with 2400? I have a lot of it and it will take forever to shoot it up in pistol and .22 Hornet loads.

ajjohns
03-26-2012, 01:26 PM
That Lyman sight fit? Did it fit without shaping the radius contour of the sight? I know what I want for mine now! I've wanted a peep since I got the gun. You've got some nice groups! Interesting read.

muskeg13
03-26-2012, 02:39 PM
The sight is a Lyman 57 SME meant to be installed on the right side of a 98 Mauser or 1903 Springfield. I had one that had been lying in a parts box for 15 years, so I decided to see if it would work. It has to be installed on the left side of the M95 so that it doesn't interfere with the bolt. The only thing I did to the sight was to didassemble the windage mechanism and flip it around so it can be used when the sight is installed on the left side of the receiver. You'll lose the windage graduation marks when you do this, but I can live with that. The radius was very close without alteration. I had to relieve a little wood (~1/8") along the top edge of the stock to accomodate the bottom of the sight, and I had to grind the forward part of the thumb tab for the safety to provide clearance with the rear of the sight. The safety still works fine. Drilling and tapping two holes for the smounting crews was pretty straightforward. I use the original front sight unaltered. By installing a receiver sight in this way, you also extend the sight radius from 15 3/4" to 23 1/2", and it puts the rear sight right in front of your eye, where it belongs.

ajjohns
03-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Well thanks for the tip. I have to look into that, and I think I have one of those sights. You can be sure that 95 will get one on it soon.

badgeredd
03-28-2012, 09:41 AM
The sight is a Lyman 57 SME meant to be installed on the right side of a 98 Mauser or 1903 Springfield. I had one that had been lying in a parts box for 15 years, so I decided to see if it would work. It has to be installed on the left side of the M95 so that it doesn't interfere with the bolt. The only thing I did to the sight was to didassemble the windage mechanism and flip it around so it can be used when the sight is installed on the left side of the receiver. You'll lose the windage graduation marks when you do this, but I can live with that. The radius was very close without alteration. I had to relieve a little wood (~1/8") along the top edge of the stock to accomodate the bottom of the sight, and I had to grind the forward part of the thumb tab for the safety to provide clearance with the rear of the sight. The safety still works fine. Drilling and tapping two holes for the mounting screws was pretty straightforward. I use the original front sight unaltered. By installing a receiver sight in this way, you also extend the sight radius from 15 3/4" to 23 1/2", and it puts the rear sight right in front of your eye, where it belongs.

Great idea! My old eyes will appreciate your cleverness. Thanks for sharing.

Edd