PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question

Big Rack
03-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Anyone with a pair of mic's or calipers that can let me know the O.D. of a No. 11 cap before it's on the nipple? It would be nice to know the brand also as I expect they vary. Saw something in a old Book of The 45 by Dean Grenell I was thinking about trying.
Thanks.

condorjohn
03-22-2012, 12:48 PM
I can't remember where I found this but, it may help...

Beagle333
03-22-2012, 05:44 PM
I just checked 10 from three different tins of Remington 11s, and got .184 to .186 as the range. (OD)

Beagle333
03-22-2012, 05:50 PM
And also just checked CCI #11 Magnums and they are .179 for all of the ones I checked. Pretty uniform on the CCI's. (Again O.D.)

Longwood
03-22-2012, 06:03 PM
So what are you going to try?
Curious minds want to know.
And so do us nosey people.

My dad always said, "If you do not know the answer, there is no such thing as a dumb question".
But then I turned into a teenager.:veryconfu

DIRT Farmer
03-22-2012, 10:26 PM
They vary from lot to lot. When the shot is important, buy a bunch of the same lot, I get 5K at a time, and trim the nipple to fit.

Big Rack
03-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Just wondering how close the fit would be into a hollow point, before I'm jumped n too hard in an old copy of "Book of the 45" by Dean Grennel he has a review of commercially available lead bullets with this feature including sectioned photos. While I doubt I would ever even try as I can't regrow fingers I just can't help but see in my mind's eye the reaction to a cowboy target.

Boerrancher
03-24-2012, 07:53 PM
I use to have a HP 45-70 boolit mold that the hollow point was designed to slip a 22LR into. It was just a nice snug fit up to the rim. On impact the rim would crush detonating the cartridge causing massive expansion of the hollow point. They weren't any good in a lever gun but sure worked great out of my Sharps and High Wall. I never shot a deer with them but did waste a couple of coyotes. The term waste was an understatement. A shot through the ribs and there was just a piece of hide top and bottom holding the sucker together. I decided that it was not a good combination for deer.

Best wishes,

Joe

Longwood
03-24-2012, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE=Boerrancher;1647206]I use to have a HP 45-70 boolit mold that the hollow point was designed to slip a 22LR into.

How odd...... I wonder why Ramset blank suddenly entered my mind?[smilie=w:

Coffeecup
03-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Just keep in mind that if you drop a loaded round, it hits point-first . . .

Longwood
03-25-2012, 12:48 AM
Just keep in mind that if you drop a loaded round, it hits point-first . . .

You guys that think things through sure screw things up for us numbskulls.
OK,,,
Now I am thinking step.
I live in the desert, I could always try them where there is a sand dune.
I could probably shoot them into blow sand right where I am standing.
:Fire:

Maybe I should just stick to plastic bottles that go boom..

Coffeecup
03-25-2012, 01:07 AM
Oh, man--if only I thought things through! I figured that one out as I watched a round fall between my feet, on the concrete by the shooting bench!

Boerrancher
03-25-2012, 11:18 AM
I did think things through. The 22lr did not go in to the 45-70 until I was ready to load it into the gun. Carrying a pocket full of 45-70s with 22LRs loaded in the nose is just a bad situation just waiting to get worse.

Best wishes,

Joe

Big Rack
03-25-2012, 11:46 AM
The particular article I read was about a lead bullet with a drilled hole. It had a few grains of powder in it and then was capped. The article commented that the hole depth wasn't consistent and they had pictures of several sectioned bullets (brave? soul with a hacksaw). At the end of it they said that the ammunition was no longer available. It's just one of those things you want to try but you know it would an accident waiting to happen. But still, temptation.....

Grapeshot
03-25-2012, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=Boerrancher;1647206]I use to have a HP 45-70 boolit mold that the hollow point was designed to slip a 22LR into.

How odd...... I wonder why Ramset blank suddenly entered my mind?[smilie=w:

When I was in Alaska back in the '70's I would hollow point .58 cal Minnie's and stick a .22 Purple Ramset charge in it and Fire it at a scrap piece of 3/4 inch plywood. Made some interesting holes on the backside of that plywood.

Never tried it on bear, thought about it a bunch, just never seemed to get the time needed to go after one.

longbow
03-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Well, contrary to the results some have had, I found that 457125's drilled to take a .22lr did not expand any better than a big HP would. I never shot any critters though.

At one time Sharps made "express" bullets with an HP sized to take .22 rf. You kinda have to think they wouldn't have bothered unless it worked... unless it was just a marketing gimmick.

I had a .58 Zouave I would never try that in! It must have had rough machined rifling as it would foul badly regardless of lube and I often found myself pounding a stuck minie down. That just wouldn't do with a Ramset blank in the nose!

Longbow