PDA

View Full Version : ruger mkii

olafhardt
03-22-2012, 07:35 AM
I am a wheel gun type, but I have had this envie for a Ruger simi auto for a while so I have a nice LNIB Mkii coming. What do you who know reccommend I do to make sure it is properly broken in?

Ola
03-22-2012, 07:56 AM
Breaking in MKII? Just shoot it a lot. If it doesn't work with the standard velocity ammo, use hi velocity ammo. Usually after 500 rounds or so it will be broken in and works with pretty much any .22LR ammunition.

historicfirearms
03-22-2012, 08:52 AM
They are pretty much bulletproof as is. Just shoot it and see how it behaves. I have had quite a few of them and they are all pretty reliable off the bat. Sometimes the magazine lips will have a sharp burr on them that can affect feeding, just take a Dremel or sandpaper and smooth them up a bit. I bought two brand new Mark III's last winter and they were both finicky feeders at first, ran about 200 rounds through each and now they will run on anything I put in them. One other thing, they are pretty tricky to disassemble and especially reassemble the first few times, particularly with a new gun. They are pretty tight fit until you take them apart a few times. I think there is a good YT video out there showing some tips for disassemble. The owners manual also has a good breakdown on how to do it (if it is a newer Mark II). Enjoy your new pistol, they are an American classic!