PDA

View Full Version : ruger mkii

olafhardt
03-22-2012, 07:33 AM
I am a wheel gun type, but I have had this envie for a Ruger simi auto for a while so I have a nice LNIB Mkii coming. What do you who know reccommend I do to make sure it is properly br:oops:oken in?

kyle623
03-23-2012, 05:17 PM
make sure and watch the video on assembly after cleaning, its a bear till you get the hang of it. being as its a MKII if it isn't broke in by now it never will be. should be a fine addition to your collection

Shiloh
03-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Shoot it.

My favorite of the Mk Series of Ruger pistols.
Like Kyle said, disassembly can be tricky till you learn the tricks. New ones can be VERY tight
when taking them down for cleaning.

Shiloh

Le Loup Solitaire
03-23-2012, 09:45 PM
I've had a Mark I which is/was the first in the series. It is not as improved as the II or III, but the basic functioning is the same. Disassembly for cleaning is not difficult...the video or instructions help a lot...especially with the re-assembly. The one step that can get you cussing righteously is getting that strut (pin) positioned correctly so that things lock up the right way....and there is only one way that it can/has to go. When I finally got it right after a seemingly endless struggle(with the help of a straightened paper clip), I bit a bullet and took it apart again and did another re-assembly, and kept doing it over and over until it was no longer a problem. Its a PITA unless you master it. The Marks are smooth feeding/running guns and are fun to shoot. LLS

kyle623
03-23-2012, 10:59 PM
actually, the standard was the first. MKI they changed the frame angle just enough where standard mags wont work in the MK series. if i remember correctly.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-23-2012, 11:43 PM
If you plan shoot your MK II alot.
you might consider making and installing a trigger shield.
http://www.wiztechs.com/knightsrealm/guns/22-45/shield/blastshield.htm
Jon

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Don't know about "barrel break in" as I haven't gone there.

Have a MkII "slabside" that groups soooooooooo well!

Have a 2X Leupold mounted on the slabside with the factory rings. The scope had the paralax adjusted to 25yds by Leupold and with the ammo it favors most - it does like a number of them - it shoots just a tiny 10 shot group at 25yds.

I'd need to check, but it was Wolf match extra as I recall that shot so well.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Calamity Jake
03-27-2012, 09:37 AM
My MKII 5" has 50,000+ rounds thru it and is still going strong although I have rebuilt the bolt twice.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Speaking of rebuilding, I think it is Brownell's that has parts kits that are good to have on hand.

Couple of those kits in the drawer would likely keep a MKII running longer then most of us will live.

Good investment!

CDOC

olafhardt
03-28-2012, 01:19 AM
replying to my own thread all of the pieces of this complicated deal between two old farts involving at least 3 and maybe 6-7guns have not yet agglomerated yet. There is at least one holster, a set of grips, a pocket knife and a bottle of bbq sauce involved. Calamity Jake I understand longivity of 22 handguns as I have been trying to wear out an s&w model 34 kitgun since 1985. I have failed in that endevor.

Clinebo
04-05-2012, 04:17 PM
These things are built like a tank. Keep them clean and lubed and shoot the tar out of it. :)

kelbro
04-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Boresnake it every now and then and break it down about every 10K rounds and blow it out and put a drop of oil on a couple of the pins.

olafhardt
04-09-2012, 01:19 AM
My son and I took it fo the range today. We ran bulk federals, minimags, remington subsonics etc through it. It ate them all till I tried CB's which would not work the action. I think it will make a great little friend.

Hammerhead
04-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Congrats, which model did you get?

I love the Mark II. It's proof the finer things don't always cost more.

olafhardt
04-15-2012, 01:52 AM
4 3/4 " bbl catalog mk4 fixed site. Dirt simple fixed sights just what we wanted. Ate all the ammo I tried except CB'S.

Hammerhead
04-15-2012, 02:27 AM
4 3/4 " bbl catalog mk4 fixed site. Dirt simple fixed sights just what we wanted. Ate all the ammo I tried except CB'S.
Yup, the basic model is the best IMO. The longer, heavier models just don't look as good or balance as well.
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo205/FF1063/ff%201063/MarkII.jpg

Gelandangan
04-16-2012, 03:31 AM
Ruger MKII is simple and reliable.
Our pistol club uses it for "loaner" for new members, some of it never been cleaned for years yet performing very reliably.

tenx
04-21-2012, 03:07 AM
I shot NRA 2700 Bullseye for a number of years and you do see Ruger pistols on the firing line, I've shot mine at Camp Perry and have seen several others on the line there also. In 94 I won the Silver Custer Trophy Medal at Perry with a Ruger MkII. The advantage that S&W model 41 and Hammerli's have over Ruger is the trigger, seems it's easier to get a cleaner trigger on those than a Ruger. Some worked over Rugers have pretty decent triggers though. I had one MkII rebarreled from a skinny barrel to heavy Shilen barrel (shot really good by the way) and considered having another MkII rebarreled (a heavy barrel) the pistolsmith encouraged me to keep shooting the factory barrel and save my money. Seems most of us can't outshoot the factory barrel (I couldn't). I still have that Ruger, a KMK512 and it shoots as good as ever. Just my 2 cents worth.

pmeisel
04-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Had my KMK512 out yesterday for a few magazines. It shoots better than me.

Bought that gun before the kids started school. They are all in their mid 20s now.