PDA

View Full Version : Oversize stock screw holes

Molly
03-22-2012, 12:22 AM
Learned a new one today: When a hole in a wood stock is too big / worn to get a good tight screw, use a bit of epoxy on a wood golf Tee to plug it. When the epoxy sets, cut it off flush with the original wood, sand it smooth and redrill with a smaller bit.

Yeah, I know, I've used steel wool in the holes for years, and wasn't above glueing in a matchstick or toothpick either. But the golf tee will fill the hole exactly, and looks a lot neater.

Longwood
03-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Learned a new one today: When a hole in a wood stock is too big / worn to get a good tight screw, use a bit of epoxy on a wood golf Tee to plug it. When the epoxy sets, cut it off flush with the original wood, sand it smooth and redrill with a smaller bit.

Yeah, I know, I've used steel wool in the holes for years, and wasn't above glueing in a matchstick or toothpick either. But the golf tee will fill the hole exactly, and looks a lot neater.

I used some bamboo skewers a few days back on something not as nice as a gun stock.

Bren R.
03-22-2012, 10:32 AM
A few years ago I lucked into a bag of "firewood" - a mesh potato sack they were selling at the local gas station. Usually they're split logs, sometimes they're 2x4" pine offcuts from construction.

This time it was a bag full of small pieces of hardwood from the local furniture plant... probably 75 or so pieces of various species, with router cuts that either hit a check, knot or the guard slipped. Great source for butterflies for joinery, knife handles and easy to turn some pegs for plugging screw holes.

Bren R.

Wolfer
03-23-2012, 10:18 PM
I cut a piece of steel brake line with an inside diameter that fits my screw to the length I need and drill the wood to OD and epoxy in place. The brake line usually won't be bigger than the screw head so you can't see it.
Just like pillar bedding just not with alum.

Cactus Farmer
03-27-2012, 12:46 PM
I used some bamboo skewers a few days back on something not as nice as a gun stock.

When me and my wife eat chinese food I get a couple of extra chop sticks. They are bigger than skewers and VERY straight grained. Never had one stripout in all the years of using 'em...........YMMV

pietro
03-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Since I've always had a few small chunks of walnut hanging around, that I never got around to throwing away - I usually just use my pen knife to split off a bit from one edge & whittle a tapered dowel to custom fit each hole. It takes all of maybe 5 mins.

KCSO
03-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Apparantly back in the day beofre golf they still had this problem. I have an old tool for a hand drill that makes tappered pegs to fill screw holes. I think this thing was made for a cabinet maker, it also has a reamer to ream the hole to match the peg it makes.

Now for the question, can you still get wood golf tees, the only thing I have seen lately are plastic tees.