PDA

View Full Version : winchester 71 receiver sights

winchester85
03-21-2012, 08:57 PM
looking to replace my 71's rear sight. somewhere along the line the factory rear sight was filed down. i assume it used to be a full buckhorn, either way if i am going to hunt moose with it, it needs a better rear sight. i have lyman receiver sights on a couple of rifles. it looks like the lyman is better than the williams? the 66wb is for the 1886, and 95, but i cant find a chart to see what else it fits. i assume the 86 sight would be the same as the 71? anyone have one they want to sell?

shotman
03-21-2012, 09:14 PM
best is look on feebay the 71 and OLD 70 G 22 are same .. about $80 they remove to the left and install to the right
300682898202 but look to pay $80 +

Jon K
03-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Is the side of your reciever drilled & tapped?

You can use most any of the side mount reciever sights.

I have a Redfield TR-E (NOS) fits Win 64,65,71,92,95. I would sell, if interested.
Model TR-E replaces 70 & 80.

Jon

oneokie
03-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Lyman 66MA is the correct sight for the 71.

pietro
03-21-2012, 09:53 PM
FWFW, although the bases will fit the factory prep holes in the LH receiver wall OK, and the peep sight's horizontal bar will extend over the bolt top - proper receiver sights for the Model 1886/86/71's have a longer horizontal arm than sights for other Winchester leverguns, in order to give full-width windage adjustment.

Please don't mickey-mouse a nice rifle.

03-21-2012, 09:55 PM
I think you are correct about the receiver on the 71 being the same dimensions as the 86. The original 71s had a standard barrel sight rear of course. Special order rears could be bolt peep or receiver. Stroebel lists the optional Factory rear sights for the 71 as: Win 98A (bolt peep), Lyman 56W71, Lyman 56A, Redfield 70F, Redfield 80F. With the Redfield 70F and 80F also listed for the 86. There could be many others that would work of course.

As to the newer repro 71 or 86 receiver sights-- I dunno. But, you could call Buffalo Arms to see if they have the Lyman 66WB sight in stock (current sight for the repro 86). Then see if they would measure one for you while on the phone. The critical measurements would be distance from top of receiver to the mounting holes and the hole spacing. They have done such things for me in the past. Ph- 208-263-6953. Other suppliers will have the sight but making sure about fit could prevent a problem.

The current availablity of a wide variety of receiver sights is somewhat limited with many of the codes having changed or dropped from production as rifle models have changed or come and gone. If you have an older gunshop anywhere near, you could go and simply try some different sights. I know many of the older shops have boxes of old sights and sight parts. Just a thought.

winchester85
03-22-2012, 12:23 AM
side of the receiver is drilled and tapped with plugs in it. i would rather put an old sight on it than a new one. i want a quality sight that is easily adjustable and positive in its adjustments. the information posted so far is a great help. now i have some model numbers to look for. thanks

winchester85
03-22-2012, 08:43 PM
checked ebay, and gunbroker. period sights are not too common it appears. i will keep looking for a period correct sight, if i cant find one it sounds like the 66wb will do the job.

MT Chambers
03-22-2012, 09:04 PM
I'd check out Providence Tool for period correct sights...

Jon K
03-22-2012, 10:06 PM
winchester85,

Want a period correct sight with positive adjustments....Smith Enterprises Ladder sight, each detent on the ladder is .040". Buffalo Arms sell them, or you can call Smith. He makes it for 1895 Marlin or 1886 Winchester...same sight, just stamped different #. Fits 3/8" Dovetail.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l101/Jon_K_2006/002-2.jpg

shotman
03-22-2012, 10:12 PM
okie the G 22 is same on the 70 and 71 back in the 50s I have both guns and they are same sights
the 66 is a peep that is not what you would want on a rifle with that kind of recoil. Those are very small screws

bigbear
03-28-2012, 11:49 PM
1)Redfield No.70 F excellent! fits works nicely.Personal experience (80F, economy version of sight) original equipment from factory for Win 71
2)Lyman 56A , very good, fits, works nicely.Personal experience, factory option also
3)Lyman 66 MA intro1955, fits, works, not classic but quite functional. personal experience
4)Williams FP-71 , aluminum fits, works, o.k. till you can get an older classic
They all are quite sturdy.

Above listed in order of preference in my opinion, unfortunately, cost reflects above. You will pay $200 or more for 1st 2 if you can find one. Good luck.

There is also an old Redfield "Hunter sight" can't find the model number now( 100 I think or 102). No fine adjustments. You loosen big screws move sight a little and tighten screws. Very rugged. I bought a nice 94 mostly to get the sight,, when I found better sight (#1 above) I took it off. If I can find it , I'll try and out it up here for real cheap.

WinMike
03-29-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm with 405: haunt gun shops and in particular, gun shows....you'll find an older sight much cheaper than many other sources.

I've sold my '71 but used it with a Williams for several years. As I recall, it had a screw that extended down to the right side of the receiver top for extra bracing.

Then I found a Lyman at a gun show that fit....have to admit, I like the looks of a Lyman better, though there's certainly nothing wrong with the function of a Williams.

Alas, I can't remember the model number of either.

Jeez, that wasn't very helpful, was it? :rolleyes:

winchester85
03-29-2012, 06:41 PM
there is an old lyman on ebay right now, but got to over $200 pretty quick. i think i will just go with a 66wb until i come across an original for a reasonable price. the rifle is not pristine, it is a shooter. if i am going to hunt with it, it needs a receiver sight. otherwise it doesnt matter.

frank505
03-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Try Gary Fellers, he has lots of sights at decent prices.

Hang Fire
03-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Just a thought, but I once had a model 71 with the Winchester factory bolt peep sight and it worked great.

Found a pic of one here:

http://images.gunsinternational.com/listings/100240981-3-L.jpg

blindeye
03-30-2012, 09:09 PM
A period receiver sight that usually doesn't cost much but looks and works fine is the Redfield #102F. These days anything 'Winchester' brings big money. If my own Model 71 wasn't wearing a Lyman66 then a Redfield 102f would be my choice. They can be found for under $50, sometimes much less, if they aren't identified at all by the seller or mis-identified; which is common.

My rifle's bolt is milled for a bolt-peep, but that would cost more than I paid for the rifle and I don't care for it anyway. I'd prefer a Ly56a and will install one if I ever find one under $100; which isn't likely. The Redfield 70f's and 80f's are creeping up in price but can still be found reasonably.

The sturdy, sight-in and forget it #102 might be the most practical hunting sight. I really don't need knurled or coin slotted adjusting knobs to fool around with. A .348 can use one load and sight setting to hunt anything.

Since I can't see a mid-barrel sight, a receiver sight was a must. The Williams might be perfectly functional but personally I wouldn't even consider it for esthetic reasons.

bigbear
03-31-2012, 02:11 PM
A period receiver sight that usually doesn't cost much but looks and works fine is the Redfield #102F. These days anything 'Winchester' brings big money. If my own Model 71 wasn't wearing a Lyman66 then a Redfield 102f would be my choice. They can be found for under $50, sometimes much less, if they aren't identified at all by the seller or mis-identified; which is common.

My rifle's bolt is milled for a bolt-peep, but that would cost more than I paid for the rifle and I don't care for it anyway. I'd prefer a Ly56a and will install one if I ever find one under $100; which isn't likely. The Redfield 70f's and 80f's are creeping up in price but can still be found reasonably.

The sturdy, sight-in and forget it #102 might be the most practical hunting sight. I really don't need knurled or coin slotted adjusting knobs to fool around with. A .348 can use one load and sight setting to hunt anything.

Since I can't see a mid-barrel sight, a receiver sight was a must. The Williams might be perfectly functional but personally I wouldn't even consider it for esthetic reasons.

Redfield102F is a fine sturdy sight. More pricey up here though, I paid $120 for mine 4 years ago.If I can find it I'd be happy to put it up for sale if someone is actually interested, let me know and I'll look for it. I like reloading for my 71's and trying to get better groups and trying differnt cast boolits, working up best load for each rifle. The sights with easy adjustments are nicer to work with when testing loads so I can get those nicely centered clusters in the black, they make me smile, I tack them on my gun cave wall, I show them to my black gun loving youngest son when he visits from school:lol:Let me know where you can find redfields 70F and 80F can be found so I can buy one! Redfields to my eye are the most elegant receiver sights for the 71 and I would love another 1 or 2 of them.