PDA

View Full Version : TC Flintlock

xcr440
03-21-2012, 07:35 PM
What's the value, roughly. .50 cal kit gun.

Boerrancher
03-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Depends on what kind of shape it is in. I just bought a nice flinter Hawken for $175, a very well cared for gun. I also just got a cap lock TC Hawken for two arrow heads that I made, that I would normally sell for $10 each. If it is pristine in every way and you want it, it could be worth as much as $300 or more. I just checked the price of a New TC Hawken Flinter at Mid-South Shooters, and it was over $600. Just be careful with a used gun because many of them have not been cared for very well. Run an oily patch down the bore and check to see if it comes back rusty, filthy, or shreaded. If the patch is rusty looking the bore may be salvageable, if it is filthy it may be salvageable, but it it comes back torn up and fuzzy, the bore is pitted, and it is not salvageable. If it is rusty or dirty that gives you a lot of leverage on the price, because it may not clean up and then will need a new barrel.

Best wishes,

Joe

HARRYMPOPE
03-22-2012, 01:34 AM
$250-$350

mooman76
03-22-2012, 09:55 PM
I personally would not value a "kit" gun any more or less just because it was a "kit" gun. Kits are generally 95% done when bought. It can come out not as good or better than a factory gun depending on the person who finished it. What it comes down to is what condition it is when sold.

xcr440
03-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Too rich for my blood. Stock went for $335 and barrel went for $130 on eBay!

hornady308
03-23-2012, 08:46 PM
$250 - $300 sounds about right to me. But I agree with mooman76. Sometimes kit guns are really beautifully made and can be worth more (at least to me) than a factory job.

HARRYMPOPE
03-23-2012, 10:19 PM
TC warrantied its factory guns but not its kits i was told.That's why some value them less.I don't.

George

MT Gianni
03-25-2012, 06:18 PM
I cracked the wrist on my Kit gun. They provided the mailer and replaced the stock.

03-25-2012, 11:41 PM
XCR,
Good rifles. I imagine it's earlier vintage being a kit. If the bore is really good hard to beat for a production type rifle. One thing is the frizzen on the earlier T/Cs is not exactly right so if you get it you oughta change the frizzen to the "new" type- been there/done that change out so have experience with it. I think you can call T/C (Smith & Wesson) and order one (be prepared to wait to get a real person in customer service) or look at Dixie Gun Works or Track of the Wolf for current upgraded version of the T/C frizzen. They're not expensive and worth it to have an extra anyway.

HARRYMPOPE
03-26-2012, 12:25 AM
I cracked the wrist on my Kit gun. They provided the mailer and replaced the stock.

not now with them being owned by Smith And Wesson.i had issues with a early "flinter" that they would have previously replaced or given me new parts.All i got two months back was how much a new one cost.

george