PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun slug alloy

Pb Burner
03-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Hello, new guy here.
I'm just getting started in this addiction. Started collecting lead while buying equipment a piece at a time. Most of it is range lead with quite a few shotgun slugs.
I have been seperating alloys if possible. Have some soft lead, wheel weights, reg outdoor range lead, small amout of lino, and some shot from a club that has turkey shoots and slug matches.
Question is what alloy are most factory rifled slugs? I know it's fairly soft but was wondering wether to toss them in the range scrap bucket or the soft (close to pure) lead bucket?
Also, anybody know the approx alloy of saboted slugs?
Thanks!

Burner

Bob Krack
03-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Ya know, I am not certain but I'd bet you will find 10 persons saying pure soft lead for each saying most any other composition.

Bob

tomme boy
03-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Most are very soft. There is one I find all the time that is very hard. I think they are the Hastings slugs. They are sort of like the Lyman sabot that you can get a mold for. They also have a single rib on it like a parting line if yo have something holding the mold open. But it is really thick. It is there for the sabot plastic halves to grip the rifling to make it spin. They usually also will have a plastic base wad still attached. It also is to help stabilize the slug.

runfiverun
03-21-2012, 09:49 PM
they are swaged and can be soft lead or up to 5% antimony seeming soft till you cast with them.
swaging an antimoniial alloy will make it seem like pure.
casting it will show it's rue nature.

tomme boy
03-22-2012, 12:32 AM
I did not know they had that much antimony.