PDA

View Full Version : Odd muzzle loader!

sav300
03-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Hi Folks,am looking for a muzzle loader and found this one.Sorry no pics.
Stamped on barrel, Mistry Nasir Md Fateh MO.Udaipur .1973.
Serial no 65**.Cal .655.Also proof marks,not nitro +75GRS 1oz.

Any idea about this rifle?

bruce drake
03-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Udaipus is a city in India near the Pakistani border so you might find some information on the rifle as a "Khyber Pass" style of rifle.

Bruce

waksupi
03-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Some pics would be nice. A lot of those Paki guns were made as wall hangers.

curator
03-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Mistry Nasir Md Fateh is the manufacturer in Udaipur, India. You should post pics if you can. The proof mark indicates the gun was proofed anfd the recommended charge was stamped on the barrel. India has several manufacturers who make replica historic arms. Some are meant to be wall hangers others are made to be "completed" out of country into a firing replica. Yours appears to be one of the later.

missionary5155
03-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Good morning
I would load ere up and tie that firearm to an old tire and with a long line attached to trigger touch it off. Probably is just fine. It has been proofed and stamped as to load so should be fine. I would check around the breach plug and see if it looks rusted and or passing gas out that away.
Mike in Peru

waksupi
03-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Take a look at the breeching. How far ahead of the rear of the barrel, is the vent? I have seen some India guns that had at most 1/4" thread engagement. Not enough for comfort for me! You want to see a threaded portion of the breech plug to be at a minimum equal to the bore diameter.

mooman76
03-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Good morning
I would load ere up and tie that firearm to an old tire and with a long line attached to trigger touch it off. Probably is just fine. It has been proofed and stamped as to load so should be fine. I would check around the breach plug and see if it looks rusted and or passing gas out that away.
Mike in Peru

Good idea in fact I would do one better and charge it up heavier than I ever planned to shoot it by 20 or 30 gr or even more. In fact I have one I might do it with. I have an old Jukar with a funky breech that some have warned about that they had problems with. I've already shot it before I new but I only shot light loads in it with no problems of coarse.