PDA

View Full Version : ruger super blackhawk

lead4me
03-21-2012, 03:03 AM
I need a new mount for my ruger super blackhawk .what mount do you guys recommend ? I want to install it myself but I want the most rugged 1 I can find . any suggestions would be appreciated.

Olevern
03-21-2012, 06:27 AM
I recommend the duel dovetail base and mounts from Leupold, but if you wish to install it yourself, it requires proficiency in drilling and tapping your frame. Even if you had to pay a 'smith to drill and tap, it is, in my humble opinion, miles ahead of any clamp on mount in terms of a secure mount that will not move on you, especially on heavy recoiling platforms.

fecmech
03-21-2012, 10:36 AM
I have a Weigand mount on mine that works just fine, requires the D&T of two 6X48 holes.

bobthenailer
03-21-2012, 10:48 AM
You will have to get the frame drilled & tapped to install a good mount to hold up to the recoil,
As far as a base, i would personaly get a aluminum base with several weaver style dovetail cross slots to provide more scope mounting flexablity and ring mounting options for various brands of pistol scopes & red dot sights over the fixed ring location of the leupold style . such as Weigand, B-SQ or EGW base, avalible direct or from Brownells or Midway.
Also good aluminum rings will probley hold better than steel rings .
I have this type of mounting system on all of my revolvers & most semi autos from 22 lr to 454 casull and have never had any problems !

44man
03-21-2012, 11:33 AM
I have a Weigand mount on mine that works just fine, requires the D&T of two 6X48 holes.
The best by far. I have a Loopy or Burris base on my old one, can't remember but it has rings too close for most red dots. I need extension rings.

lead4me
03-22-2012, 05:43 AM
Thanks I checked out the Weigand mount and its just what I was looking for. I'm a Tool & Die maker so the layout and drilling and tapping is no problem.