PDA

View Full Version : New Toy! H&R 999

colonelsanders
03-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Picked this up locally for $175. Not in perfect condition but infinitely better than picking up one of the Heritage muck metal guns for the same price.

I figure I will need to pick up some reduced power spring from the folks over at Wolff to fix the lawyer trigger. I measured the single action pull at 5 pounds, my poor scale did not go high enough to check the double action.

I always had a thing for top break pistols and now I finally have one!

rintinglen
03-21-2012, 03:29 AM
The first handgun I ever fired was a break top 22. I think the one I shot was an Iver Johnson, but it has been something like 45 years, and I could be mistaken. Still would like to get one of those before I take leave of this world. I envy you, at least a little.

Big Rack
03-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Take a good look at the quality I think the cylinder latch is just cool. Your looking at another gun that would be too expensive to make today.
Also if you new to it the screws on the rear sight are just for windage a screw below the front sight jacks it up or down.
A really neat gun.

Bwana
03-21-2012, 09:38 AM
First gun I ever bought was a H&R 949 in '68. It cost $56.00 new at the base exchange. Well, ok my mom had to buy it as the '68 GCA had been passed. I'll never forget the gal behind the counter telling my mother, "I'm from New York and I just don't understand all these people here (Alaska) buying guns for their children." My mother just coolly looked at her and said "Well, this isn't New York." I managed to stifle my laughter.

bobthenailer
03-21-2012, 10:58 AM
MY first hand gun ! I shot it until it got pretty loose, untold thousands of rounds over perhaps 10 years , sold it and bought a S&W K22 to replace it.

bob208
03-21-2012, 04:13 PM
when i was shooting indoor bullseye i tried a friends on the slow and timed fire target. the dub.action was too stiff for the rapped fire. but i only shot 5 points under my adv. i was impressed with it.

**oneshot**
03-21-2012, 10:09 PM
I have the "sportsman" and love it. It's not a target gun for sure, but it is a great pistol.

Tom W.
03-21-2012, 10:21 PM
I had one and foolishly traded it off for God only remembers what.
I should have kept it...

NoZombies
03-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Several years ago, I saw a similar model in .32 long, and foolishly walked away from the table at the gunshow to see what else I might find. When I thought better and returned, it was gone.

Since then I have never seen another top break .32 long with target sights. I would really love to find a .32, but honestly, I wouldn't mind finding a .22 as a matter of fact.

Wayne Smith
03-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Be warned! I have one, and took it in to my gunsmith for some minor repairs. In doing that he managed to break one spring and lose another. When he finally got it done he put up a sign: "NO repairs on H&R revolvers".

They are a complex design with many little springs in them. Unless you are experienced with these think twice about taking it apart if you don't need to do so.

I picked mine up because, years ago as a little kid, this was the first gun I held. It belonged to a neighbor. I wanted one ever since.

Freischütz
03-23-2012, 05:03 PM
The rear sight screws that hold the blade in position come loose easily. Key an eye on them.

colonelsanders
03-25-2012, 03:57 PM
I took it to the range today, considering I was shooting of hand at 20 yard, I think the pistol is pretty accurate.

TCLouis
03-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Someone I shoot with came up with one of those.

He is kinada picky about accuracy and the Lil H&R exceeded his expectations and he has bragged on it over time.