PDA

View Full Version : blackhawk question

twopatch
03-20-2012, 10:06 PM
I will be picking up a blackhawk in 357/9mm, I will be shooting cast bullets in 38/357. My question is , would I be able to shoot cast in 9mm? If so would I have to size them to .358?

rststeve
03-20-2012, 11:29 PM
If the cylinder will fit the 358 sizing then do so. I have the blackhawk 45LC and 45ACP cylinder and I size them .452 for both good luck

Silver Jack Hammer
03-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Allen Jones, retired police ballistician and Speer tech, basically the author of Speer’s latest reloading manual has written on the .38 Special and the problems cowboys shooters are creating by gamers loads. He suggests the 9mm 147-FN for the .38 Special. In testing at Speer this boolit gave the best results.

Larry Gibson
03-21-2012, 12:29 PM
I will be picking up a blackhawk in 357/9mm, I will be shooting cast bullets in 38/357. My question is , would I be able to shoot cast in 9mm? If so would I have to size them to .358?

I had a very nice Ruger NMBH 357.9mm quite a few years ago. I was sizing my .38/.357 bullets at .358 and my 9mm bullets at .356 back then. I shot lots of both through that BH with no problems and equal accuracy with the 9mm loads. Of course that back before "we" all knew about measuring the throats and "knowing" cast bullets would lead and give poor accuracy if they didn't "fit" the throats perfectly..........:?:

I guess someone forgot to tell the 124 gr cast .356 9mm bullets they were supposed to lead the chamber throats and the barrel and shoot inaccurately:!:

I also shot lots of 358477s sized at .358 and loaded in 9mms and they shot just as well as out of .38 SPLs and .357 magnum cases.

Funny but .451/.452 sized cast bullets shoot just as well in my Uberit SAAs in .45 ACP cases as well as in the .45 Colt cases without leading and they have .453 throats.........????? even out of the 45 ACP cylinder in one of them????????

Maybe I'm just lucky.......;)

Larry Gibson

W.R.Buchanan
03-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Larry: despite what many naysayers purport, luck does have alot to do with it.

Have you noticed how some people just have less problems than others do?

Have you noticed how some people just always seem to be in the right place at the right time?

Have you noticed how some people's guns just seem to shoot better than others?

I think a combination of experience and just plain blind luck, which seems to work better the older I get, is responsible.

Getting luck to work for you is part of being succcessful.

Now if I can just get those lotto numbers right!

Randy

Larry Gibson
03-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Well I must be really "lucky" that way because I've shot a lot of revolvers with a lot of cast bullets in 45+ years and have yet to ream a cylinder throat. I don't claim great accuracy but back when my eyes were good the common accuracy of quality revovlers was 1 - 1 1/2" 6 shot groups at 25 yards off sandbags. That's what Kieth, Skelton, Jordan etc. said and did also.

Maybe I should start buying lotto tickets again? I missed a 3 mil lotto once by 1 number. Took the ticket home and told the wife.....her and my oldest daughter snatched it right out of my hand and were out the door before I could even react.....in a cloud of dust from the screeching tires they yelled "we know where to cash it in".....and that's the last I saw of the ticket......never did see any of the money.........both of them came back.........maybe I ain't so lucky..........

Larry Gibson

Swampman
03-21-2012, 02:18 PM
I guess I'm lucky too. I've never really had a problem in my 40 years of shooting, casting, and reloading. I just shoot them and the bullets go where they are supposed to.

bob208
03-21-2012, 04:05 PM
i must be in that lucky group also i have never had to ream a cylinder throat either. my guns always shot good. no leading. most of them are rugers also. now i did have a problem with one ruger in .45 colt. it shoots about a foot high at 25 yd. but that could be from the pryor owner filing the front sight down to make it hit lower. yes i know you need to raise the ront sight. but just try to tell some people that.

Mohillbilly
03-26-2012, 08:14 PM
My convertable prefers jacketed 9mm , and cast in the 357 /38 except the real light weights .