PDA

View Full Version : So many molds. So little time.

VeeTee
03-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Guys,

My son and I want to get into position to cast our own lead bullets.

For the moment, we want to cast bullets for reloading into .38 spc, .357, .44 spc and .44 magnum.

To simplify things we want to cast .38/.357 in 158 grain and 180 grain. Ideally, we would like to cast the 158 grain SWCHP or SP bullets. The 180s would be flat nose hard cast for pigs and such in the event we are caught out without something bigger.

For the .44s we want to cast 240 grain SWCFP "Keith" bullets. I've looked on ebay and see that molds are either cast iron or aluminum, both new and used.

Would y'all mind naming some specific brands and item numbers so we can go shopping? I would assume the 6 bullet molds are a good idea? Sorry to be so clueless. We will get smarter soon.

Thanks,

VT

Leadmelter
03-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Vee Tee
For your 357 bullet, look for the RCBS 150 gr K- bullet. Loaded up or down a great bullet. Also, try the Lyman 358429 in 170 gr. Great shooting bullet easy to cast. check out Ballista Cast as they have a few version of the bullet depending on the 357 pistol you are using.
You are on the right track with the SWC " Keith" bullet in 44. Again, try to get as original as you can.
Several "Keith" style bullets are available but the original style in the best.
Good luck to you and your son. I could never get the fire going in mine until recently.
The best works you can hear: " Dad, Can we got to the range for awhile?".
Gerry
M I

dragonrider
03-20-2012, 07:26 PM
One of the least expensive ways to get started in casting your own is to visit Lee Precision at
http://leeprecision.com/
There you can select all that you will need to start. You can also google "Bullet casting" and find a multitude of infomation many supplier of molds and other equipment you will need.
For a lead pot I suggest the Lee 4-20, it may drip some but it is very effective for the $$. Likewise Lee molds are very cost effective. Select a 6 cavity instead of the 2 cavity because the quality is much better.

Wolfer
03-20-2012, 07:33 PM
I'll let somebody else chip in on the 35 cals, I have the Lyman 429-421 that I shoot in my 44 special. Love this design. My mold cast at .430 which is close to its stated .429 but my cylinders are .432 so I had to lap the mold and my sizing die. Haven't messed with it much lately as I was planning on having one cavity hollow pointed. Matter of fact I mailed it to Erik at hollow point Bullet mold service today.

You mention 6 molds but I'm only seeing about 3 or possibly only 2

MT Gianni
03-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Just starting I would buy a Lee Pot, 10 or 20 lb, get started collecting whatever bullet alloys you can and buy one Lee mold. Use it to death and find out if this hobby is for you. You can hand lube or tumble lube. Buy a Lee push through sizer to fit the throat diameter of your guns.

If you are still wanting to go through with this, look at a LY429421. Try for a square groove rather than a rd one as they can group better though I have had good results with a round groove mold. Check out the group buy section. NOE & Mihec do a great job. The best 180 357 mold, IMO is a group buy done here regularly of a 180-185 wfn, with or without a gas check. The 358156 copy that NOE just finished gives you the option of a HP or not.
Read all you can here.

runfiverun
03-20-2012, 11:56 PM
the lymans have been running on the small side lately.
otherwise the 358477 and 429421 and a lee 20 lb pot combo would be hard to beat.
however rcbs does make quite similar molds that will last both of your lifetimes.
don't forget a set of handles.
the 44 [240-250 grs] and 38 keith designs are quite good and are excellent performers out to 100 yds or so.
you don't need gas checks for either caliber,but they can help make things go along easier when putting the coals behind a load.

since noone else has done it:
welcome aboard.

ku4hx
03-21-2012, 06:26 AM
"So many molds. So little time."

I like that. I feel the same way about handguns of all types. Well ... guns, boolits, uncast alloy, potato chips, peanuts and a whole lot of other things.

You've been given much excellent advice. All I'd add is start out small with a minimal expenditure. You can always buy more stuff and your first equipment pieces don't spoil over time. I still have excellent pieces of equipment I bought in the early '70s.

VeeTee
03-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Thank you one and all!

VT