PDA

View Full Version : source of tin and antimony??

happyhunter
03-20-2012, 06:13 PM
So I made my first trip to the scrap yard today. Picked up some wheel weights and lead scraps (telephone cable jacket material).

Where can I get tin and antimony? I want to make up Lyman alloy #2.

Thanks,
HH

Ole
03-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Rotometals, one of our site sponsers, has tin and antimony.

I recently bought a small stash of super hard (enough to get the free shipping) for adding antimony to my range lead.

People often list solder in the swapping/selling forum, but Rotometals also sells that.

letsmeltlead2693
03-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Try 95/5 tin antimony solder. :)

btroj
03-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Do you need #2?
Much of the shooting to be done can be handled with exactly what you have on hand.
WW mixed 50/50 with lead makes for a great general purpose handgun alloy
Same mix can be water dropped and handle most rifle uses. Of harder is needed then straigh water dropped WW will do fine.

happyhunter
03-20-2012, 09:32 PM
It took a while to sort out the Iron and Zinc wheel weights today. Just not a good use of time. It was real simple to pickup a lot more lead sheets and pieces. So, I am looking into just buying scrap lead and adding in tin and antimony. Just want to investigate another option.

Thanks,
HH

btroj
03-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Rotometals has some high Sb and high Sn alloys ou could use.
You can also find Linotype at scraps yards from time to time. Excellent source of what you want.

Budmen
03-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Just a warning if your not experienced in alloying dont buy the Antimony shot or pure antimony from Roto metals buy the hardball and figure your ratio's from there its really not any more expensive when you figure your agrivation of trying to learn to alloy pure antimony!!!! Dont ask how I know I may have wasted some antimony into the dross can a time or two!!!!

SlowSmokeN
03-25-2012, 12:31 AM
See if your scrapyard sells Linotype, you may be able to get it for a buck a pound. Lino is 4% tin, 12% antimony, 84%lead.

AndyC
03-25-2012, 11:25 AM
For tin, I've been calling around radiator shops for solder drippings that I could smelt down into ingots - so far I have two shops that are willing, but they don't have any on-hand yet. We'll see how it goes.

letsmeltlead2693
03-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Try pewter or the soft bendable pic frames from the goodwill.

bumpo628
03-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Here are a couple ideas:

Mixing with pure lead
1 lb Superhard + 5 oz Pure Tin + 4.75 lbs Pure Lead = alloy with 5.1% tin, 5% antimony
4.5 lbs Linotype + 6 oz Pure Tin + 6 lbs Pure Lead = alloy with 5.1% tin, 5% antimony

Mixing with WWs
1 lb Superhard + 9 oz Pure Tin + 11 lbs Clip-on WW = alloy with 4.9% tin, 5% antimony
2 lbs Linotype + 5 oz Pure Tin + 6 lbs Clip-on WW = alloy with 5.1% tin, 5% antimony

I am assuming the cable sheathing is pure and the WW's have 0.5% tin, 3% antimony. Rotometals Superhard has 30% antimony, 70% lead.

Longwood
03-25-2012, 11:46 PM
For tin, I've been calling around radiator shops for solder drippings that I could smelt down into ingots - so far I have two shops that are willing, but they don't have any on-hand yet. We'll see how it goes.

Autos went to plastic tanks and aluminum fins.
It was mentioned here a few months ago to try tractor and or truck radiator shops.
I find solder at the recycle yard every stop there.
I got several pounds last year at 40 cents a pound.

AndyC
03-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Both places told me the same thing, yup, although they still get some work in - the first guy does more work on trucks, but I'm not yet sure about the second place.

Longwood
03-26-2012, 06:33 PM
:shock:I asked a friend this morning if he wanted to go shooting and the conversation turned to casting. The guy he had just introduced me to said.
"I have about fifty pounds of sinkers you guys can have, but they are made from solder and someone told me they have too much tin for good bullets".:shock: :shock:...... [smilie=p:[smilie=p:

Longwood
03-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Both places told me the same thing, yup, although they still get some work in - the first guy does more work on trucks, but I'm not yet sure about the second place.

I worked for a large grocery outlet with over 200 tractors
The trucks all had aluminum.