PDA

View Full Version : Spray-Painting an 870?

Jason30-30
03-20-2012, 03:48 PM
About 2 years ago I duracoated my Remington 870 shotgun. The finish came out great but it was not durable at all. I was thinking of just spray painting it with cheap Wal-Mart spray paint. Anybody ever try it?

Thanks,
Jason

plmitch
03-20-2012, 11:01 PM
I did spray an old beat up marlin 60 with flat black a few years ago and it worked just fine.

Jason30-30
03-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks Im probably going to end up spray painting it as I was very dissapointed in the duracoat

nicholst55
03-20-2012, 11:40 PM
I have an 870 Express that I rattle-canned. Whenever the paint needs to be refreshed, I just spray on some more.

It was used - and quite rusty externally - when I bought it 25 years ago; a previous owner took it duck hunting in the salt marshes and didn't clean it properly when he returned. I use it exclusively for turkey hunting now.

boltons75
03-20-2012, 11:45 PM
My dad rattle canned his wingmaster flat black. Looks ok, and touch up is simple.

Always carry, never tell.

MBTcustom
03-21-2012, 03:39 PM
My brother is big into airsoft and has made spraypainting guns a regular art form.
He tried all of the available paints and he said that Valspar is the very best. Again, this coming from a guy who has tried it all.
His paint jobs hold up very well because the way he and his buddies play that game, the guns get as bad a beating as anything we dish out to our guns.
his instructions are as follows:
Use nitrile gloves while cleaning and handling the parts.
Make a paint booth out of a cardboard box. cut the back out of it so that a box fan fits in the hole. Place cheap air filters between the back of the fan and the back of the box to absorb the over-spray paint. (I have used this trick and it makes a huge difference to the quality of the paint job)
Buy an electronic humidity/temperature meter and dont paint untill you have 70/70 or pretty close to it.
Read the information on the Valspar paint cans. Make sure that you have the primer, paint, and clearcoat. Follow the instructions on the cans religiously. You spray on the primer and you have a window of time that the paint must be applied in. The same goes for the clear-coat.
If you do things this way, you will have a very durable, die-hard finish that will do your firearm proud. You wont be disappointed.

Shooter
03-21-2012, 04:31 PM
If you belive that guns are tools, instead of objects of art or worship, painting is fine.
Many years ago, I bought a rusty H&R 12 SB from my cousin for $20. I sanded it off and spayed it OD green. That night at the shooting match, I won 10 Lb. of hotdogs on a meat board.
Still one of my favorite guns.

Mk42gunner
03-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Use flat or dull finish, not gloss paint.

The paint will stick better if you thoroughly degrease the gun first.

Use two or three colors, using the lightest color as the base coat.

Plug the bore with cleaning patches or tape prior to painting, remove before firing.

You really don't need stencils of leaves, just fade the colors of the paint while spraying it.

Robert

RKJ
03-21-2012, 05:54 PM
I found Krylon worked just as good (if not better) than duracoat. I will not try it again.

Shooter6br
03-21-2012, 06:01 PM
6.5 Jap sporter Rustoleum flat black No problems

largom
03-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Goodsteels advice "follow the instructions religiously" is where most coatings are caused to fail. I have Dura-coated several firearms with the result being a finish more durable than hot bluing.

Larry

03-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Brownell's sells some mighty fine paint. Not just the Dura-coat stuff. Degrease is the key.

jmsj
03-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Brownell's sells some mighty fine paint. Not just the Dura-coat stuff. Degrease is the key.

I have used Brownells Teflon/moly ovencure epoxy with good results. I have done 3 guns so far and have not had any peel or wear off yet. I sand blast the parts, degrease, warm up the parts and bake the finish, as per the instructions . Like others have said, degreaseing using nitrile gloves really helps
Good luck, jmsj

zuke
03-22-2012, 10:33 AM
I bought a No4Mk1 Savage 2 groove sporter when I was 19 with the intent to make it into a brush gun.I chopped the barrel at 19 inch's,and set the front site back onto the barrel.
Set it up with a left side of the rifle sling for a comfortable carry.
I degreased it with gasoline a couple time's and left it in the sun to dry off/warm up.
I then spray painted it with flat black Tremclad.
I touch it up now and then,but overall it's been a great trunk rifle for me.
I turn 45 in a couple month's.

Jason30-30
03-22-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm going to start the painting project this weekend thanks for the tips gents.

Jason

finishman2000
03-22-2012, 09:55 PM
I found Krylon worked just as good (if not better) than duracoat. I will not try it again.

then you guys are't prepping right. dura is a 2 part urethane, sherwin williams polane repackaged. i've done many many guns with durs and the key is in the prep. i wash with prep-solv (automotive product) and lightly scotch bright every part and rewash. i spray heavier than others do and it works better. on high wear guns i clearcoat right after the last colorcoat tacks up. also, let the stuff dry overnight before putting back together.

Molly
03-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Here's a real secret to paint durability: Take the wood off, then go ahead and spray paint with most any color you like. Flat black is wonderful for covering up pitting, scratches, and the like. Let it dry for two or three days, then go over it again with an aerosol polyurethane satin finish for Lowes or Wallyworld. It'll dry down kinda gummy at first, but in a few days, it'll get hard as a rock and look great. I did this to an old rusty and pitted Stevens double that wasn't worth a reblue, but the darn thing looked so good aafter I sprayed it, I had to refinish the stock too. From two or three feet away, you might mistake it for a new gun. It looked so nice my stepsn wheedled me out of it, and seveal years of hard use later, it still looks great.

Junior1942
03-23-2012, 08:49 AM
The OD Krylon coating on my M93 Spanish Mauser is still good after several years. If you'll notice, it's worn off the stock in the carry areas, but IMHO the brown spots just add to the camo effect. The rusty barrel is used as a prop for cardboard target backers. A friend visited one day and brought his 6-year old son. The kid thought that shot-up barrel was the coolest thing he'd ever seen.

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/photos/m9327.jpg

x101airborne
03-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Wear gloves, clean with a residue free solvent like brake cleaner. When you think it is clean, clean it again. I use krylon cammo kits and they work well. The finish on my 870 from the factory rusted every time I took it out in a dew, much less rain. Heck, it even rusted after being cleaned in my bedroom! After spraying, no worries.

cheese1566
03-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Prep, prep, prep.
need I say more?