PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a lathe make me a check maker

melter68
03-20-2012, 03:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone with a lathe could make me a simple gas check maker
for .357 and .243.
I would like a disc cutter and rod to cut the discs and a seperate forming rod and base to form the checks, easy to make
If you could help i would be gratefull, i cannot use a lathe and would e mail you my simple design

I love casting and this would complete my set up, i know anything can be made from bits of metal.

Dan Cash
03-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Contact forum member arjacobson . He makes a one step tool that is easy to use, fast and effective. Use it with an inexpensive arbor press (best) or a drill press (OK). Cutting disks then forming them is too labor intensive and ar's tool is no more costly than any of the more primitive ones yet produces checks at an unbelieveable rate. goodsteel is another fellow in the forum who does some custom work.

Good luck.

melter68
03-21-2012, 04:49 AM
Cheers Dan Cash, i will try them and let you know.
cheers chris

Norbrat
03-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Is your design any different to what Charlie Darnall offers?

http://www.freechex.net/

It sounds like you've re-invented Freechex II :)

deltaenterprizes
03-21-2012, 10:57 PM
easy to make, i cannot use a lathe and would e mail you my simple design

How do you know it would be easy if you do not:kidding: know how to use a lathe?

It looks easy when you know what you are doing, after years of making mistakes!

melter68
03-22-2012, 04:12 AM
How do you know it would be easy if you do not:kidding: know how to use a lathe?

It looks easy when you know what you are doing, after years of making mistakes!

years ago before i had a accident i borrowed a lathe, could turn down metal but could not use the measurements at all, its a skilled job that needs training, easy for someone that has that skill.
I would love to be trained, but due to been parlty disabled i cannot and lathes are so costly.

I am only good at what i can do, it would be nice to be good at everything, just like a woman

melter68
03-22-2012, 04:13 AM
Is your design any different to what Charlie Darnall offers?

http://www.freechex.net/

It sounds like you've re-invented Freechex II :)

Spoke to Charlie and cannot get what i want

Four Fingers of Death
03-22-2012, 05:18 AM
That Freecheck111 is a nifty looking bit of gear. If I didn't have enough Hornady and Gator checks to last me the next 97 years, I'd buy one. You can see where the money goes, quality looking tool.

skimmerhead
03-22-2012, 11:29 AM
I was wondering if anyone with a lathe could make me a simple gas check maker
for .357 and .243.
I would like a disc cutter and rod to cut the discs and a seperate forming rod and base to form the checks, easy to make
If you could help i would be gratefull, i cannot use a lathe and would e mail you my simple design

I love casting and this would complete my set up, i know anything can be made from bits of metal.

Pat Marlin makes excellent gas check dies, send him a pm and he can probably fix you up.

skimmerhead:arrow::cbpour:

MBTcustom
03-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Shoot me your prints. We might work something out.

melter68
03-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Hi Goodsteel,

i will e mail you my easy drawings.
cheers chris

MBTcustom
03-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Your free use of the word "easy" is making me very nervous! Ha ha.

Dan Cash
03-22-2012, 04:14 PM

Can't be any harder than the easy job you did for me.:)

melter68
03-23-2012, 07:36 AM

Well the word easy was in the meaning of simple job, not to big and not many parts,
just to bend thin ali, but a simple job is never easy, just think of the words:lovebooli

If you had my wife the word easy means a long job for me after she had given me her instructions and left me too it.

tjones
03-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Pretty sure Charlie of freechex charged me $40. to the door 2 years back. (224)
tj

melter68
03-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Pretty sure Charlie of freechex charged me $40. to the door 2 years back. (224)
tj

Gone up since then and spoke to charlie, hard to get hold of for some reason.
freechex 3 looks good but its hard for me to operate due to injury.
thanks chris

tjones
04-07-2012, 08:02 AM
I met Charlie at the WalMart a landmark here last week, said he'd be through here. Nice fellow. The small tools (22 etc) are too hard for quoting "old hands" via feedback from his original buyer on ebay daze. He figured the III version would be easier for most shooters. Sort of a dilemma, no? Then the arbor press issue is not so bad here. tj

melter68
04-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Yes Charlie is a nice man and the freechex 3 is excellent, tha arbour presses we can buy here too, i like tools that are portable due to my disability, not bench mounted, i find for my use small portable are best.
Most shooters will find charlies invention great, but over here houses are not too big and room is important.

Pat Marlins brilliant too, but i find it hard to extract the checks etc and you are confined to a reloading press. When i bought pats maker i was told i needed another reloading press to extract the checks, so when i got mind, i milled out the ram and epoxy resined the primer slot and made the ali extractor pin thing, that saved me £135 ($200), what a saving.