PDA

View Full Version : Should I trade Colt 1991 for Dan Wesson Supermag?

Revolver
03-20-2012, 09:36 AM
I have a Colt 1991 Compact with Crimson Trace grips that I am considering trading for a Dan Wesson 445 Supermagnum Stainless, slotted 8" barrel with 60 rounds and 40 brass.

I like my Colt, but I really like big revolvers, especiall shiny ones. :p Also being colorblind I can't really see the red laser dot well anyhow. I have

I currently have a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag 7.5" that I enjoy shooting... and I will probably be putting 44 magnums through this 445 mostly... I understand it's chambered the same????

I paid $500 for the Colt 1991 a few years ago. I like its compact size, but I wish it was stainless and I don't need the lasergrips... so I'm leaning towards a trade.

So... what is the quality of the Dan Wessons? The 445 chambering with my 44 magnums? What would YOU do?

69daytona
03-20-2012, 10:36 AM
I have a springfield 1911 in stainless if you do trade and find out you dont like the Dan Wesson, I would be happy to trade you for it.
I have never seen a bad 445 super mag. If I could find someone to trade me I wouldnt waste any time. I can find 357 super mags but nit the 445s.
Send me a PM if you want to trade after getting the Big Dan.

Revolver
03-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Well, I did the trade. I hated to let the colt go but like I said... BIG SHINY REVOLVER. It was just was too tempting. Its got some marks and nicks but so did the unit I traded. Man, those 445 rounds are BIG!

429421Cowboy
03-20-2012, 08:40 PM
I don't think i would have even taken the time to post that before i did the trade. But then i'd have to ask myself where i got a 1991 Colt, Hmmmmm....
Not that i'm even a huge Dan Wesson or Super mag fan, it's a big bore revolver which means i want it, and its in a caliber that not alot of your average guys are gonna have!

Revolver
03-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Here she is, I'm excited to try it out soon but it came with a bunch of 445 reloads so I need to pull them down and rebuild first. Would like some hogue grips too I think. The pic shows 44 Special, 44 Mag, and 44 Supermag cartridges.

Coffeecup
03-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Congrats on getting an excellent revolver! The biggest problem with them is that they are so, well, big. Coming up with a decent way to carry one is a problem (which is why I no longer have a Redhawk in 45 colt, and why my Dan Wesson 44mag is up for trade). If you figure out a decent way to install a sling, let me know, willya?

FWIW, I found the Ballisti-Cast 979-PB (around 270 grains I think, haven't weighed one in a while) cast of WWL and sized to the cylinder throats, shot exceptionally well at upper-end velocities in the 44 Mag. It might perform equally well or even better at the velocities a .445 is capable of.

Edited to add: Hogues are definitely the way to go. Good luck!

Longwood
03-20-2012, 09:10 PM
I had a Dan Wesson 44 that was my favorite revolver to shoot and I have had several.
I will advise Pacmayr grips.
Homely,,, to some maybe.
But,,,,
They get reeeaaaal pretty when you are driving home and your hand does not hurt after fifty rounds.

CLAYPOOL
03-20-2012, 09:30 PM
None around Southern ILL.

colonelsanders
03-20-2012, 11:26 PM
The ultimate way to carry that handcannon.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=278474206

I intend to pick one up for my 10.5" barreled super blackhawk.

runfiverun
03-21-2012, 02:03 AM
you'll want the pachmeyer grips.
too bad you didn't get the ported bbl, the harder you push those the easier they are to shoot.
300 gr bullets and 4227 is super accurate in mine, and the fireball is daytime awesome but i don't even see it when shooting.
aa-1680 will be your friend in this caliber.
it's slower than h-110 buuuut a whole world away.
the 44's shoot right well in it just like shooting specials in a regular gun, mine will shoot 44 specials just fine too, for targets and such.
i have a 10",8",6" and the 4". i wear the 4" version if going someplace i am gonna need some up close emergency oomph.
i have fired 315 gr swaged jaxketed flat nosed bullets in the 4" bbl and have a few 350 gr bullets kickin around here somewhere but haven't messed with them just yet.
have fun.

leftiye
03-21-2012, 08:37 PM
I like a crossdraw holster with a strap over the opposite shoulder to bear the weight (keep your pants from falling down).

missionary5155
03-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Good morning
You can get another 1911.. you may never get another opportunity like this to get the DW. I would not trade, sell a DW for anything. The acuracy,strength and versitility make DW (for me) the best hand held weapon.
Have 357 mag, 357 max, 375 SM & 41 mag. Also have 32-20 and 414SM but not on origonal revolvers. Next trip up I will make a 45 Colt.
So I guess I am a DW adict.. maybe my advise is very slanted.
Mike in Peru

Revolver
03-24-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm having an issue with this gun… seems to shoot great double action. However, when I shoot single action it fails to fire about 50% of the time. In-fact, after FTF there is no firing pin strike on the primers… completely untouched.

Coffeecup
03-24-2012, 09:39 PM
That is a puzzler--I've seen similar on the small-frame DWs but not on the larger framed guns.

I'd try detail-cleaning the internals first, on the thought that it may just be crudded up inside. (If you aren't sure how to strip the gun, I think someone posted instructions over on the Dan Wesson forum.) Once clean, lube it and try again, maybe just by dry-firing it and making sure the tip of the firing pin protrudes into the frame window.

If that doesn't fix it, it may be that someone has messed around with the springs trying to "tune" it or to reduce the trigger pull. A new spring kit should be available from CZ, or from one of the spring suppliers (Wolff etc).

Mohillbilly
03-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Clean it up . AA 1680 and 300 gr. XTP loaded long will rock on .

brassrat
03-27-2012, 02:11 AM
I am not sure if this is at all a remedy for this gun or even the symptoms, but the grip screw on some DW's can cause a problem. People suggest loosening a little.

missionary5155
03-27-2012, 04:26 AM
Good morning
If cleaning or the "too long" grip screw does not solve the hammer fall issue head over to the DW Forum. There are some real knowledgable DW fellers over there.
Mike in Peru

Four Fingers of Death
03-28-2012, 06:53 AM
A friend had one of these when they came out in the mid 80s. Awesome, we used to shoot in an indoor range and the ball of flame out of the cylinder gap and the end of the muzzle were amazing. I loved it, but had young kids than and it was out of my league!

I have two boxes of those 300Gm XTR bullets, a 270 Gn mould, a custom 300Gn mould, and a Lee 310Gn mould. Maybe I need one of those!

Revolver
04-01-2012, 08:32 PM
... Awesome, we used to shoot in an indoor range and the ball of flame out of the cylinder gap and the end of the muzzle were amazing....

This photo was yesterday, before I tore the gun apart, cleaned, installed new mainspring, and tightened up the cylinder gap significantly...

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j407/mainejunker/c897b7bb.jpg

garym1a2
04-03-2012, 08:33 AM
I think one should have no affect on the other. If I have a gun and like it and it shoots well I keep it. If I don't like it or can't shoot it well I get rid of it. If I find a new gun I want I buy it or save up and buy it. My number one rule in guns is never get rid of a good gun.

I have a Colt 1991 Compact with Crimson Trace grips that I am considering trading for a Dan Wesson 445 Supermagnum Stainless, slotted 8" barrel with 60 rounds and 40 brass.

I like my Colt, but I really like big revolvers, especiall shiny ones. :p Also being colorblind I can't really see the red laser dot well anyhow. I have

I currently have a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag 7.5" that I enjoy shooting... and I will probably be putting 44 magnums through this 445 mostly... I understand it's chambered the same????

I paid $500 for the Colt 1991 a few years ago. I like its compact size, but I wish it was stainless and I don't need the lasergrips... so I'm leaning towards a trade.

So... what is the quality of the Dan Wessons? The 445 chambering with my 44 magnums? What would YOU do?

Three44s
04-05-2012, 02:03 AM
Is your DW a "Monson gun"?

Either way, you did a good trade!!

I ended up with two Monsons, a .41 mag 6" and a .22 lr 6" ......... I saw the .41 in a gun shop on consignment. It was/is a as new gun ....... and it carried a price of $265. Along with a like new Smith 57 8 3/8" for $375 ...........

I got $25 shaved off the price for both and they are with me still these six years later!!

I might sell the Smith but never the DW!!

I have had two issues with the DW. One with wooden grips if they don't fit properly and get tightened enough you can crack the wood.

Two, the action in SA would yank the trigger forward as the sear broke ....... a local gunsmith told me to take off the grip and use Crud Cutter or similar and really hose the inerds ......... that advice worked like a charm and now that DW has a SA pull that so over the top I can't express it in words ........ better than the best Smith I know of ............ and Smiths are really good when they are right!!

Best regards and enjoy your new revolver!!!

Three 44s

Moonie
04-05-2012, 01:00 PM
I had one exactly like that one and of all the guns I've had I miss that one the most.

Longwood
04-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Who wants the 44 Dan Wesson grip in my "Don't need" box?
Are you looking for a factory wood grip, to carve on?

Oh yeah,,,,,, FREE!
Small scratch on one side but,,,,, FREE!
You pay postage.
No resellers please.
Thanks

Time starts,,,,,, NOW!

Revolver
04-05-2012, 07:38 PM

Oh yeah,,,,,, FREE!
Small scratch on one side but,,,,, FREE!
You pay postage.
No resellers please.
Thanks

Time starts,,,,,, NOW!

If it will fit my 445... YESSAH!

Revolver
04-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Is your DW a "Monson gun"?

It says Monson on the side of it, what's that mean?

Bullwolf
04-05-2012, 11:16 PM
It says Monson on the side of it, what's that mean?

It means that the gun was was made at the Monson Massachusetts Dan Wesson plant. In some circles, the Monson guns are considered to be either better made, or more valuable depending on what you read, or who you talk to.

If my chronological order is correct, Dan Wessons were originally made at the Monson Massachusetts plant from 1948 to around 1971 as Dan Wesson INC. Then from 1971 to 1983 as Dan Wesson Arms INC.

Later (1983-1995) the Wesson Firearms Co. guns were manufactured at the Palmer Massachusetts plant.

From 1996 onwards, Dan Wesson's were manufactured at the Norwich NY. plant.

Bob Serva purchased the company and it's assets, while it was located at the Palmer Massachusetts plant after a declared bankruptcy. He moved the group to the Norwich NY. plant. CZ USA later Purchased Dan Wesson in 2005, again after money troubles. Both Bob Serva, and CZ focused more on producing 1911 clones, than the revolver line. Although a few super mags, and the 715 were still being made.

While CZ USA did not initially produce anything from the revolver line, they did still support it. CZ sells replacement shrouds, barrels and parts for the existing revolvers. They also offer (repair) service for the guns. This year CZ briefly released a new (2012) stainless steel 715 .357 magnum production revolver, the first new revolver to come from Dan Wesson, since CZ owned the company.

The popular story, or rumor out there is that the guns manufactured from the later plants had poorer quality control checks being performed to help reduce costs, letting a few substandard examples out the doors as financial troubles became more apparent with the company.

Supposedly the fit, finish, and overall quality is better on the Monson guns.

I don't know if that's really the true. I have seen some pretty nice guns that came from the other plants. Supposedly a few bad examples did get out, and that helped start the whole thing about the Monson guns being the better made, and more desirable examples. Be it true or not, the Monson guns are still a touch more desirable to this day.

To be fair there were many folks who just did not like, or even understand the whole removable barrel concept behind the Dan Wesson revolvers. I blame operator error for many of the reported problems. Some people are just not mechanical enough, or couldn't be bothered to deal with barrel removal, and setting their own cylinder gap. Some of the later production revolvers were made with fixed barrels, and they were priced lower to compete in that market as well.

In many circles Dan Wesson revolvers are thought of as poorly made due to what I highly suspect as being operator error.

Some Examples: an overly tight cylinder gap is set, causing a dirty revolver to bind up, and not function. Or failure to tighten the barrel nut, and it coming lose causing extremely poor accuracy. Overtightened, or incorrect size (small or large) grip screw being used, and interfering with cocking, and so on. I consider a lot of this sort of thing to be simply user error.

Almost all of the Dan Wesson firearms that I have encountered have been very well made, and are extremely accurate guns.

There is quite a bit of information about the history of Dan Wesson Arms, as well as a comprehensive serial number time line over at the Dan Wesson forums if you care to learn more.

http://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/

- Bullwolf

Longwood
04-06-2012, 12:41 AM
If it will fit my 445... YESSAH!

You will have to ask someone that knows.
If it will fit, send private message to me with an address.
Please let the members know if it will only fit the 44 mag.

Revolver
04-12-2012, 01:29 PM

Got the grip today, thanks, it is very much appreciated.