PDA

View Full Version : Classic Cast Turret Mods

rollmyown
03-20-2012, 05:30 AM
Check out these very clever mods to the best thing (in my opinion) Lee makes.

I'd like some more details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhOFUVaUy_E&feature=channel

spec234
03-20-2012, 07:39 AM
That's pretty wild. I'm curious how that primer feeder works.

zuke
03-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Make's a guy think doesn't it?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-20-2012, 12:13 PM
That fella has some excellent mechanical aptitude along with a great imagination. Impressive, simple and effective. Love that cartridge eject. Who woulda thought?

jimkim
03-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Watch it in operation. I'm wondering what the production rate would be. It might hit 300 an hour. Which is what my RL-300 was supposed to do. Lee needs to hire this fella.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=BdLAZRW0QeY

seagiant
03-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Hi,
Well...I don't own one of these loaders but I have a question? Why didn't one of you guys figure this out!!!

All BS aside, I'd like to know how that primer system works and the bullet feeder?

Cowboy T
03-20-2012, 04:12 PM
That dude is brilliant. You're right, John Lee needs to hire that man right away.

geargnasher
03-20-2012, 04:27 PM
That boolit ejector is the coolest part, really neat idea. With a Pro-Autodisk measure and Safety Prime setup one can do basically the same thing, but that boolit feeder is pretty neat.

Gear

wilit
03-20-2012, 04:28 PM
I recall reading in the Modern Reloading book by Richard Lee that he said he would never put a tube fed primer system on one of his presses.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

HangFireW8
03-20-2012, 06:01 PM
I recall reading in the Modern Reloading book by Richard Lee that he said he would never put a tube fed primer system on one of his presses.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

He wouldn't, but he retired. :)

jimkim
03-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Hi,
Well...I don't own one of these loaders but I have a question? Why didn't one of you guys figure this out!!!

All BS aside, I'd like to know how that primer system works and the bullet feeder?

I was thinking about building a bullet feeder. IDK if his works the same way, but it looks like the one I wanted to build. I was thinking you could take a tube or pipe and cut a slot in it, then put a spring type linchpin on it. Load the bullets in the top. The linchpin would stop them from passing through. When you raise the ram the case would push the pin back and the bullet would slide into the casemouth. When you lower the ram the pin would slide over the casemouth and ride the profile of the bullet and stop the next bullet from dropping out.

My other idea is similar, but uses a lever similar to the one that feeds primers on a MEC 650.

I'm not exactly sure his works the same way, but it looks like the one in my head, or the one in my head looks like his. Either way, I think it would be easy to build. You just need to have a spring large enough to act as a lifter and ride the profile of the case, and not so strong it will grab the bullet.

I think this is how the primer feeder works. The primer arm hits a tapered lifter that acts like a cam and pushes a spring loaded slide back and drops the primer in the cup. Since the primer stays in the cup until you use it, the other primers stay in the feeder until there is adequate room to clear the slider.

timbuck
03-21-2012, 01:22 AM
He wouldn't, but he retired. :)

Do you really want to load the tube one at a time? I think lee didnt want a tube to avoid a chain reaction when/if a primer went off. The rest might go off. Can you say scattergun?

fryboy
03-21-2012, 08:23 AM
only as a speculation i'm thinking that the primer feature is operated by the die in a roundabout way , if the other dies were set so the ram doesnt go as high then when sizing then the primer arm would go higher during the sizing stroke releasing the primer ( i admit pure speculation on my part ) sort of how the auto bullet feeder works in my humble opinion , i also note that the seating die/crimper has been modified and could play a part in it and like most i love the auto eject !!!!!

milprileb
03-21-2012, 09:51 AM
I would like to get one of those gizmo's that knock the loaded round out of the press.

Anyone know where one could get that collar he put on the index rod ?

Roger Ronas
03-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Not associated in any way but there were some auto eject units fro classic cast on evil bay for about 20.00. That was about 2 months ago, haven't checked recently.

HTH
Rog

milprileb
03-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Roger: I can't find anything on Ebay but I will keep looking

edsmith
03-21-2012, 04:01 PM
on flea bay in search, type in automatic case ejector. I just made a crude one out of a pill vial cap. need to try making one out of brass. needs to use a spring instead of the solid pin.

milprileb
03-21-2012, 08:35 PM
http://www.tactical-arms.com/case-ejector-for-lee-classic-turret-press/

Here it is for sale: $17.99. Ordering one today

angus6
03-21-2012, 09:46 PM
I would like to get one of those gizmo's that knock the loaded round out of the press.

Anyone know where one could get that collar he put on the index rod ?

Their out there a guy copied them after the video came out and flooded C/L and other places with them

milprileb
03-21-2012, 10:07 PM
We got guys here on this forum that make quality innovative items and I hope one comes out with a clone of this device. I think its a fine idea for the Lee press but if the quality of the device is low, then its money well wasted... not that chasing rainbows for better gear has not ended up a waste of $$ at times.

Four Fingers of Death
03-21-2012, 11:55 PM
I have bought a few Hornady bullet feeder dies at the suggestion of a member here, to be used with a conduit/plastic tube. I didn't quiet understand him, but it sounded like he was saying that it was an 'Alto bullet feeder.' Id doesn't look like a Hornady or RCBS bullet feeder die. It looks more like a Lee die. What is it?

The Hornady BF dies are a beautifully made bit of kit, but mucho expensive!

That cartridge eject is so simple! Drill a hole, carefully file out the corners until it fits, fit a pin to it! Amazing.

milprileb
03-22-2012, 07:51 AM
I am all for upgrading press performance and certainly this approach on the Lee Turret is interesting. However, and please take this only as my preference: I am not putting a bullet feed system on any of my Lee, Dillon presses. My rate of production is just fine (or its slow but certain) and I like to use the bullet seating station / cycle to hand place a bullet after M1 Eye balling inside the case to check powder level. Just my safety powder level check and the pause to hand place a bullet lets me do this powder check smoothly and effortlessly.

My big Kick In The Pants solution for my safety purposes is the LED light system by Inlinefabrication.com. That lighting system lets me see immediately into a case to spot powder level in the case.

There is so much improvement one can make on a press performance but at some point, I pull a halt on it and at the bullet seating station/phase, thats where I stomp on the brakes.

So my rate of production on a Dillon 650 is 500 per hour, I will use the press 2 hours and have four range sessions of ammo: I am good with that. Its not the 1000 rd per hour max speed but (and this is my point), this is a hobby so why am I racing? Just go at my own speed and have my safety checks and enjoy using the tools and making my own ammo.

zuke
03-22-2012, 10:08 AM
that case ejector is just a 3/8 collar with a long screw locking it into place.
Here's a link to clear pic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAY-BRITE-LIGHTING-SHAFT-COLLAR-162372-/220791846524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336838367c

Roger Ronas
03-22-2012, 10:25 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAY-BRITE-LIGHTING-SHAFT-COLLAR-162372-/220791846524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336838367c

I was thinking that it was something along those lines. Some of the kits have a spring instead of a stud to do the extracting. But even that could be a setscrew and then another hole for the spring to stick out of.

Rog

edsmith
03-22-2012, 05:58 PM
the ejector is not locked in place, the press can not operate with a collar locked in place, the screw may be turned in just enough to keep it from turning, the collar must be free to slide up and down. I just made one, but it seems that I did it the hard way.because of your reply I see a easy to do it. thank you.

Four Fingers of Death
03-24-2012, 12:34 PM

What $100????? Then I noticed that it was for a pack of 100, lol.

quasi
03-24-2012, 04:39 PM
that man is talented, Lee could use him.

Four Fingers of Death
03-24-2012, 08:21 PM
I still can't figure out what the bullet feeder die is. It isn't a Hornady or RCBS die, I don't know of any others, although that don't mean much. The Hornady bullet feeder dies are $55 odd here. After I spent $172 to get three posted to me, I realised that the RCBS one just has different collets for the different bullets and they come with the die. D'Oh!!!

jimkim
03-24-2012, 08:56 PM
I still can't figure out what the bullet feeder die is. It isn't a Hornady or RCBS die, I don't know of any others, although that don't mean much. The Hornady bullet feeder dies are $55 odd here. After I spent $172 to get three posted to me, I realised that the RCBS one just has different collets for the different bullets and they come with the die. D'Oh!!!

It looks like it started out as a crimping die. Not sure which brand.

Four Fingers of Death
03-24-2012, 09:27 PM
I had a look at a Hornady video about the bullet feeder die. I can see where the money goes, they are a well made bit of kit. They also appear to have a powder through expander die with them, so all in all good value. I suppose they want to ensure that the case is properly flared to work with the feeder die. Like all Hornady, it is a solidly built tool.

Twmaster
03-29-2012, 09:36 PM
So I'm trying to understand how the bullet feeder die works....

My guess is maybe a collet that holds a bullet until the shell comes up and expands allowing the pill to drop?

Nice kit of automation that dude has made.

Four Fingers of Death
03-29-2012, 09:56 PM
There are two long collets inside the Hornady bullet feeder die. when they enter the second one , they stop there and can't go back somehow. After a case comes up, it forces the collet fingers apart slightly and the bullet is released into the case. When the ram is lowered taking the case with the bullet, that allows another bullet to drop through. leastways, thats how I figure it. I can't figure out how the first collet operates in this equation, maybe it prevents the bullet that has dropped through from going backwards as the case hits it.

Twmaster
03-29-2012, 10:49 PM
That makes sense. Nice setup. Groovy, more goodies to buy! ;)

Four Fingers of Death
03-30-2012, 12:17 AM
I grumbled when I saw the price I paid, but looking at them, you can see that they are a quality item.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-31-2012, 12:13 AM
The RCBS version is no good value, even for one. The guts are made of plastic and cannot be converted to handle cast boolits. With the plastic guts, I wouldn't buy one to feed J-word bullets in .223, much less pistol bullets. Waste of money, I think.

Spend the money for the Hornady bullet feed dies, then modify as necessary to add a tube, a Lee Bullet multi tube setup and to accept cast boolits. A win win scenario, as these babies will last, they're machined steel.

Just my .02,

DanWalker
04-09-2012, 01:01 AM
Spend the money for the Hornady bullet feed dies, then modify as necessary to add a tube, a Lee Bullet multi tube setup and to accept cast boolits. A win win scenario, as these babies will last, they're machined steel.

Just my .02,

Got any pics of one of these setups?
I just ordered the Ejector setup.
A boolit feeder sounds great!

Four Fingers of Death
04-09-2012, 04:34 AM

I ordered the EZject system and the new linkage that restricts the travel of the powder measure (I am sure that this will be clearer when I see it mounted on the linkage, I can't see what it does at the moment). I was going to pick them up from the big shop in Sydney, but didn't make it. I will give them a ring and get them to post them out.

I have all of the gear now and also have bullet feeder dies for the 38Special, 44Mag/Special and 45 ACP. I only have shellplates for the 9mm (no bullet feeder dies yet, still waiting) and the 38 Special but no shellplates for the 44 and 45, D'Oh! This is taking forever to assemble the bits and pieces.

I am going to use tubes for the bullets as the LnL Bulllet feeder is way over $500 out here. I managed to find a tube that the 38/9mm bullets feed nicely through and one that teh 44s feed through and the 45 bullets slide easily through a Lee case feeder tube. I may end up buying a bullet feeder, but I don't think so at this stage.

Waffling on again and no, I'm not trying to hijack the thread just wandered off aways.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-09-2012, 09:33 AM

Just google $28.00 bullet feeder and you'll find links to AR15.com where the guy first posted the Hornady dies with the tubes setup.

You can also google modifying the dies to accept cast boolits.

Four Fingers of Death
04-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Just google $28.00 bullet feeder and you'll find links to AR15.com where the guy first posted the Hornady dies with the tubes setup.

You can also google modifying the dies to accept cast boolits.
I wonder if you can buy spare collets for the inside of the dies? I'd like to shoot coated bullets and be able to switch over to lubed lead boots occasionally. Maybe if you set them up for cast, they might also work with the jacket and coated boolits. Sounds too easy, probably is, lol.

buck1
04-09-2012, 07:33 PM
I ordered one of the case ejectors for the LEE from ebay. Its too thick to let the press ram go all the way up. Just a heads up.

milprileb
04-09-2012, 07:41 PM
I ordered one of the case ejectors for the LEE from ebay. Its too thick to let the press ram go all the way up. Just a heads up.

Sir, does it work like in the video and eject finished rounds or what ? I will hold buying one pending your experience which is invaluable !

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-09-2012, 10:19 PM

The Ebay dealie might be thicker than the one in the video. I suggest taking sandpaper and thinning it.