PDA

View Full Version : I take back anything I said- SKS

Bret4207
03-28-2007, 06:54 PM
If I ever, and I don't think I did, say anything bad about the SKS rifles, I take it back. Today at about 50 yards I shot 15 rounds. The first 10 were getting used to the trigger. The last 5 I adjusted the rear sight up and put them in a round group under an inch. No ragged one hole group, but still- darn nice. These things grow on you.

Scrounger
03-28-2007, 07:25 PM
If I ever, and I don't think I did, say anything bad about the SKS rifles, I take it back. Today at about 50 yards I shot 15 rounds. The first 10 were getting used to the trigger. The last 5 I adjusted the rear sight up and put them in a round group under an inch. No ragged one hole group, but still- darn nice. These things grow on you.

Awww, StarMetal woulda done better....

45 2.1
03-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Awww, StarMetal woulda done better....and posted groups to boot.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Dang, obviously mercy is only for the weak.

Dave

monadnock#5
03-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey Tpr. Bret, I like your new avatar. It suits your moderator status, just like Deputy Al's moniker. Just which SKS model did you go with, and how much work did you have to do to make it a shooter?

Ken

Bret4207
03-29-2007, 04:56 AM
Ken, it's a 59/66 Yugo. Work? I de-greased it and loaded it up with Wolf Classic Military, $3.50 for 20 at Herb Pilipsons, and banged away.

I'm sure cousin Joe is happy for me.

Speaking of that, stop by Accurates "Politics" board someday if you want to see some real American bashing! I shouldn't have even bothered posting a link to stop gun controls site there.

Four Fingers of Death
03-29-2007, 06:00 AM
I had one when they were legal out here. When I was finished serious group shooting for the day, I'd zing off 100 rounds offhand at a picnic plate. Got most of them on too. 100 rounds every Sunday for a year or so and I became a pretty competent offhand shot. Bit rusty now :(

corvette8n
03-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Hey thanks for posting about Herb Pilipsons, I googled it and found one 1-1/2 hours from my house, another place to spend my money.
Glad to see the Yugo SKS worked out ok, I had a chinese paratrooper model and everytime I pulled the trigger something fell off, I had to stop in the middle of the John Garand shoot to put parts on so I could continue, the eighteen other guys at the line wasn't too happy that the range officer had to stop for me.

I sold that one and bought a genuine 1953 Russian SKS, beautiful stock and a lot better made, glad I bought it when I did as I see them going for $100.00 more than I paid, at gun shows now.

monadnock#5
03-29-2007, 09:29 PM
My 59/66 came in a box completely slathered in cosmoline. So much so that it had soaked through to the outside of the box. I found the true value of Ed's Red and paper toweling in cleaning up that mess, but am quite pleased with the results. I never did get the bolt apart. I even took it to a gunsmith, who gave the pin a couple of whacks, and then said "why don't you just soak it in gasoline to get the gunk out?" Duh, why didn't I think of that and save a trip. I also found that the fluorescent material on the night sights is severely allergic to Ed's Red. Don't get solvent anywhere near them.

Who in the heck is cousin Joe? I hope he's not from the side of the family that Dad told me to avoid at all cost.

I like this site just fine. I went to another site via link to something like 24 hr grenade throwers. Uh uh, not goin back, no way, no how. I'd go back to slide tiles before that ever happens.

Ken

Buckshot
03-30-2007, 03:53 AM
.............corvette8n " I had a chinese paratrooper model and everytime I pulled the trigger something fell off,.............."

Sometimes the mental picture that just pops up in your head is a treat. That hit just right and I swear I laughed till I cried. I'd ruin it if I tried to explain the short mpeg that played in my head. Thanks a bunch, pal!

................Buckshot

lefty_red
03-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Cousin Joe was a nickname the Allies had for Stalin.

Jerry

Scrounger
03-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Cousin Joe was a nickname the Allies had for Stalin.

Jerry

Thought it was "Uncle Joe" and "Uncle Sam".

bart55
04-02-2007, 08:53 PM
I also had a chinese sks and the exact same thing happene to me right in the middle of a John C Garand style match my sights flew off and landed in the grass . I wound up not finishing the match . sold that one at a gunshow and bought a yugo 59 66 now this one shoots and does not lose parts . Shot a match last thursday and came in second . Love this little rifle

FallRun
04-03-2007, 01:24 PM
.............corvette8n " I had a chinese paratrooper model and everytime I pulled the trigger something fell off,.............."

Sometimes the mental picture that just pops up in your head is a treat. That hit just right and I swear I laughed till I cried. I'd ruin it if I tried to explain the short mpeg that played in my head. Thanks a bunch, pal!

................Buckshot Now you got me laughin about it!!!

seawolfjack
04-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Hello, have a Chinese one and it shoots real good with cheap Wolf ammo. So good I won't Trade or sell the darn thing. Sometimes you just get one thats right and other times you don't. Have Fun

corvette8n
04-04-2007, 08:41 PM
I also had a chinese sks and the exact same thing happene to me right in the middle of a John C Garand style match my sights flew off and landed in the grass . I wound up not finishing the match . sold that one at a gunshow and bought a yugo 59 66 now this one shoots and does not lose parts . Shot a match last thursday and came in second . Love this little rifle

Hey Bart, I switched to a AR15 clone and shot a hundred points better overall
then when using the SKS or M1 carbine. I really just do it for fun, I might try the
Mas 49/56 next.

robertbank
04-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Now you guys have gone and done it. Just when I thought I was ok to be out with my Debit Card you have to go and post a comment agbout SKS. I guess it is truly time I crossed over to the dark side. Now what is Marstar's number?

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/N-SKS.shtm

and they are sold out!

Take Care

Bob

brimic
04-09-2007, 10:51 PM
I picked up an unissued one for around $130 a few years ago when they were still cheap and everywhere. Shoots good for the first 10-15 shots or so, then the barrel gets a little warm and she starts to string vertically. Can't hardly complain though for the price.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/brimic/yugo59-66.jpg

RU shooter
04-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Since were showing pics of our favorite SKS's Heres a shorter and handier version of a Yugo:) .......! I also installed a rear peep site on it ,what a difference that makes!

Bigjohn
04-11-2007, 12:07 AM
The Australian Government trashed mine (At least I think they did) during the 'Buyback' of 96. I had not had it for too long and was just getting good with it. I could work those stripper clips fairly well too.

When you could buy them, there was a little competition between the importers of the SKS and Winchester. They would put out ad's spruting there various virtues as opposed to the other. At one Field Day two dealers shared half a tent, one was selling Winchester 94's and the other SKS's. One buyer trying to decide which to buy was given the full treatment by both dealers until the dealer selling the SKS swung the bayonet down and stuck it into the ground saying the rifle was equipped with it's own "Monopod". Sold.

:drinks:
John.

Bret4207
06-02-2007, 07:08 AM
The folding stocks are on. Nothing to write home about, but it makes the package a lot smaller. I still want a solid stock, some glass bedding and a decent set of sights to see how this "klunker" can really do. Oh yeah- and some time to try some cast in it.

txpete
06-05-2007, 11:30 AM
I picked this one up yesterday.a gift from a good friend.I would guess about unissued cond.
pete

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/2007_06041sniper0010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/2007_06041sniper0011.jpg

Bret4207
06-05-2007, 06:56 PM
The darn ugly things are rapidly becoming the replacement for the 30 M1 Carbine, with a bit more oooomph! added, in my mind. I'm keeping my eye peeled for another for the farm.

Newtire
06-10-2007, 11:14 PM
I already have .30 cal molds...It must kick like hell to make things fall off though. I just got my M-1 carbine a new Sunday-go-to-meetin' Fajen Stock. Can't see buying another rifle-nope not me..

lefty_red
06-10-2007, 11:53 PM
Bret

Get a Tech Sight TSR2000 sight for it! Best $60 I've ever spent! Makes the SKS sight like a M1 or AR. The only thing I have to do with mine now is find a good sturdy front sight for duty work and I'm off tothe Applespeed shoot!

BTW, did you remove the launcher or the "pigsticker" ?

Jerry

Bret4207
06-14-2007, 07:50 AM
I removed a bunch of stuff and still have to remove/replace more to make it 922 compliant. Glad to hear you like the Tech sight. Thats what I was leaning towards. I want to go with a different front sight too.

lefty_red
06-15-2007, 02:29 AM
Tech makes a screw in front sight also!

Jerry

res45
06-17-2007, 08:31 PM
I started reloading for my YUGO a few weeks ago. I don't have a scope on it but I replaced the front sight post with a Tech-Sight post. The pin is about half the diameter of the original post which make for a better aiming point. Here is my 5 shot 50 yd. target.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/rhsikes/scan1-1.jpg

Bret4207
06-19-2007, 07:08 AM
res45- I prefer my boolit holes be spread out more so I can measure them easier!

Ed Barrett
06-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Much easier to count when they are spread out.

res45
06-19-2007, 09:47 PM
I got some old Wolf black box I can shoot you a target with that you can count all 20 holes real easy.:Fire: