PDA

View Full Version : Solid loads for Lyman 358430 in 357 magnum

DrCaveman
03-19-2012, 10:17 PM
I searched high and low for some load advice for this combo, and came up wanting badly. I did manage to get one good max load (from this forum) for this combo, for which I was quite grateful. I would like to share two success stories for those attempting to use this boolit for 357 mag (pistol).

First, due to my relative newness to reloading, and bonafide newness to casting, I like to see any load that I am intending to test in at least 3 published sources, as well as some amount of individual testimonial regarding load safety and performance. I absolutely did not have this criterion met for this boolit, so I was a bit nervous before squeezing the trigger last weekend.

Alas, there were NO pressure signs whatsoever, and I feel quite confident recommending these loads to others. As always, start lower and make sure your gun is responding similarly. My loads are, however, still below those (few) max listings I found.

Anyway, here are the two loads.

Lyman 358430 (weighed out to a max of 200 gr for me, min about 196)
11.6 gr alliant 2400
1.59" col
CCI 500 primer
Fed mag case
Moderately heavy Lee FCD crimp

Lyman 358430 (same weight as above)
13.0 gr Lil gun
1.59" col
Fed 200 primer
Fed mag case
Moderately heavy Lee FCD crimp

In both cases I applied a very heavy lubing with LLA. Saw very light leading in the last inch of barrel. Removed easily with one pass of brush with hoppe's solvent.

Test gun was a ruger gp100, 6" barrel.

Accuracy seemed pretty good, but I was not shooting my best, so I can't really judge that aspect right now. Frankly my nervousness managed to taint quite a few of the first shots.

Then, the recoil did indeed affect my subsequent shots. Those suckers pushed pretty hard on my hand, much more than any other 357 load I have shot. Nothing painful or excessive, just surprising. Not much snap, no flash at all...but a very solid thump into my palm.

In conclusion, I am really liking these loads. Primers were not flattened in the slightest (even the Feds), no extrusion, and extraction was as easy as any bunny fart loads. Penetration was tremendous. I lost most of the boolits in the berm behind my trap!