PDA

View Full Version : H-presses

klw
03-28-2007, 05:50 PM
The question about the strongest single station press caused me to wonder about something else. What is the largest number of stages you've seen on an H-press. One, two, three and four station H-presses are pretty common. But have you ever seen an H-press with more?

I've heard rumors of a much larger one but I've never seen one.

9.3X62AL
03-28-2007, 10:24 PM
KLW--

You might be thinking of the Ponsness-Warren rifle-sized semi-progressive machine. There should be a photo on the P-W website, www.reloaders.com

I wouldn't call it an "H-press" per se, but it has that look about it. It has five stations, I believe.

wiljen
03-28-2007, 11:17 PM
on a related note, I have an old AA Eaton "Big Giant" H Press like those you mentioned. it uses a shell holder with a stem that passes through the block but uses standard dies, I think I have 2 maybe 3 shell holders for it but would love to find a few more - any ideas where one should look?

klw
03-29-2007, 09:42 PM
KLW--

You might be thinking of the Ponsness-Warren rifle-sized semi-progressive machine. There should be a photo on the P-W website, www.reloaders.com

I wouldn't call it an "H-press" per se, but it has that look about it. It has five stations, I believe.

I'm aware of the Ponsness-Warren machines. Some of them are kind of hard to classify. But I was hoping someone had seen just a classic old H-press with a lot of stations. I've heard repeated stories about at least one with something like 15 or so stations. Would love to see a picture.

Of course the pictures I'd like to see most are the old Ideal Armory machine, there is a drawing in their Centennial Journal, that weighed 175 pounds and had a blast shield and the bullet casting hand operated bench mounted unit where you cast 100 bullets at a time. I just can not imagine that!

floodgate
03-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Ken:

I'm not sure Barlow actually made or sold any of those monsters; I think it was to show that he COULD make the industrial-size batch-loaders, if anyone wanted to pay the tab. In any case, they soon disappeared from the Ideal Handbooks, to be replaced by the "standard" one-at-a-time Armory sets. I'd be quite happy enough to find one of THOSE, especially the Models 100/101 with the Lyman Middlefield address, from which the Tru-Line (Sr.) was developed in the '30's. ( I have actually located one complete example, but my blandishments have not as yet adequately tempted the present owner.) ** Sigh**

[I seem to be *sighing* a lot lately.]

Doug

klw
03-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Ken:

I'm not sure Barlow actually made or sold any of those monsters; I think it was to show that he COULD make the industrial-size batch-loaders, if anyone wanted to pay the tab. In any case, they soon diappeared from the IdealHandbooks, to be replaced by the "standard" one-at-a-time Armory sets. I'd be quite happy enough to find one of those, especially the Models 100/101 with the Lyman Middlefield address, from which the Tru-Line (Sr.) was developed in the '30's.

Doug

Interesting. Never thought of that.

Decades ago I bought a blob of grease. That is exactly what it looked like. The fellow, a press collector of sorts, thought that there was a Lyman press in there somewhere. When I cut all the grease away I found an Ideal Armory press. Only one I've ever seen. A friend had the corresponding lubricator/sizer. We each tried to buy the others for years. Finally we just traded. Ron Peterson Guns in Albuquerque probably still has it. If you call, talk to Ron. The clerks will not know what you are talking about. Ron might not either because he bought a truckload literally of reloading gear from me about ten years ago.

TAWILDCATT
03-30-2007, 04:44 PM
on a related note, I have an old AA Eaton "Big Giant" H Press like those you mentioned. it uses a shell holder with a stem that passes through the block but uses standard dies, I think I have 2 maybe 3 shell holders for it but would love to find a few more - any ideas where one should look?

vega tool co
4865 Tanglewood ct
boulder co 80301
tom ross
vegatool.com
I'm getting one for my herter
adapter to standard shell holders:Fire: :drinks:

wiljen
03-30-2007, 08:00 PM
vega tool co
4865 Tanglewood ct
boulder co 80301