PDA

View Full Version : marlin 38/55

gandydancer
03-19-2012, 08:58 PM
I have a marlin older model. its the same as a 336 marlin but it has an old model 93 bbl marked blackpowder only. what I need to know is what is the best way to slug the bore and or the chamber to find the best bullet for this old girl. thanks for the help. Tom/Gandy :veryconfu

fordwannabe
03-19-2012, 10:23 PM
I think the youtube video of a guy slugging an old mauser bore is a pretty good teaching tool for this operation. Good luck. Tom

Wolfer
03-23-2012, 10:40 PM
I have had good luck with an egg sinker as close above bore size as you can get. They are pure lead and the hole down the middle gives it some relief so it goes through easer.

Jon K
04-06-2012, 05:02 PM
gandydancer,

I had one just like it...should have never let the guy talk me into selling it.

1893 round 24" barrel marked "Black Powder"
They were built after Marlin introduced the Smokeless Steel barrel. They were built at different times, I guess, when they found old stock laying around. I had one built 1902, and I saw some 1920's (railroad & prison issue). They will shoot smokeless just fine. I shot mine at lower pressure levels 1200-1400 fps.

Slug the bore from the breach end. Just deep as your slug.
Do a chamber cast...measure length and case mouth area. It may have a short chamber(2.080) and case mouth diameter will let you figure how big a diameter boolit will chamber in it, allow at least .002 for expansion.

Congratulations and Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

excess650
04-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Those Marlin blackpowder barrels are soft, and you'll wear it out quickly with jacketed. IMO, they are at their best with plainbase cast boolits. Expect it to be 1-18" twist, so better with 250gr boolits than 300gr.

The "Special Smokeless Steel" barrels were more modern barrel steel and up to the task of handling smokeless and jackets.